Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Prediction PLZZZ???

Options
  • 25-05-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I was studying accounting through a little book of notes with a question on one side of a page and the making scheme with the workings on the other side.

There must be about 12 different types of accounts in there and I am useless at accounting (higher level) and its to late to drop down.

So does anyone have a confident prediction it would be much,much,MUCH appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Q1. Manufacturing Accounts
    Q5. Interpretation of Accounts (Ratios)
    Q6/7. Service Firms/Incomplete Records (Balance Sheet Method)
    Q8. Product Costing
    Q9. Flexable Budgeting/Cash Budgeting.

If I were you, I'd learn the Manufacturing Accounts, ratios and Costing inside out if you're as useless as you claim to be. To me they are absolute certs to appear. After last years farce I can't see them screwing everyone over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

donfarrell wrote: »
    I was studying accounting through a little book of notes with a question on one side of a page and the making scheme with the workings on the other side.

There must be about 12 different types of accounts in there and I am useless at accounting (higher level) and its to late to drop down.

So does anyone have a confident prediction it would be much,much,MUCH appreciated :D
    I'm pretty useless at Accounting too... hard subject :mad:

anyway... are you doing 120mk question, or 2x 60mk questions?

I decided to do the 60's. Dep is probably going to be on. Tab and Farm Accounts too maybe. Both are quick and easy enough to get 70%+ in.. Whereas I find the 120mk too difficult and time consuming.

100mk question
    Well, Ratio's will be there... (I don't do it...waaaay to hard!)

I predict 2 from;
    Incomplete Type B
    Service Firm/Club AC's
    Published

80mk question
    I'm gonna just do Budgeting. Only 3 questions to cover. Cash Budgeting is the most likely to appear I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

ive learnt manufacturing, service firms, published, incomplete and joc costing. i think im fairly save with them. if they come up i think ill get de a1

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

blue-army wrote: »
    anyway... are you doing 120mk question, or 2x 60mk questions?

I decided to do the 60's. Dep is probably going to be on. Tab and Farm Accounts too maybe. Both are quick and easy enough to get 70%+ in.. Whereas I find the 120mk too difficult and time consuming.
    I'd say depreciation a/c will come up as 60 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Q2 - Depreciation/revaluation Q3 - Tabs Q4 - Service/Farm

Q5 - Ratios (seriously guys why not do this question when you know it's coming up!! :)) Q6 - Incomplete Q7 - Published/Club

Q8 - Costing Q9 - Cash budjet

Hopefully the guy making out the exam isn't a langer like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

ImJohn wrote: »

Q5 - Ratios (seriously guys why not do this question when you know it's coming up!! :)) Q6 - Incomplete Q7 - Published/Club

Similar to my predictions, I would include Cash flow as a potential 60 marker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I would be thinking
    Q1 Manufacturing or Sole trader
    Q5 Ratios
    Q6/7 Service firms, incomplete B or published
    Q9 Cash budget or maybe a flexi, its due but probably too easy

Paddy001 wrote: »
    I would be thinking
    Q1 Manufacturing or Sole trader
    Q5 Ratios
    Q6/7 Service firms, incomplete B or published
    Q9 Cash budget or maybe a flexi, its due but probably too easy

Flexi came up last year.

eoccork wrote: »
    Flexi came up last year.
    3 topics came up in Section 3 last year so if they do something similar again this year something would have to be repeated.

Flexi came up last year.

no it didnt it was a production budget, i should know i did it

• Advertisement

It came up as part B or something in the marginal question.

Look again;)
    It came up with CVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Similar to my predictions, I would include Cash flow as a potential 60 marker!!!

spot on what I think. It's a woman making the paper this year so seeing as it's her first year I'd imagine she cant throw in anything too different!

ImJohn wrote: »

sorry, meant to quote this in previous post but would prepare cash flow 60marks aswel.

spot on what I think. It's a woman making the paper this year so seeing as it's her first year I'd imagine she cant throw in anything too different!

I believe its her second year doing the paper. Obviously last year being the first, and we all know how that turned out:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I believe its her second year doing the paper. Obviously last year being the first, and we all know how that turned out:eek::p

She probably set it before, but she didn't last year. Christy Tyrell set last years farce.

Meh i dont do that q so dont look at it. Its been a few years since it was in the budget, it could be there

im just wondering how much accounting theory other people did in their schools. it makes up a good bit of the paper like. our teachr gave us out the answers to the previious years theory questions. id be afraid i might miss somethin this way.
    if anyone can help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

galway.gaa wrote: »
    im just wondering how much accounting theory other people did in their schools. it makes up a good bit of the paper like. our teachr gave us out the answers to the previious years theory questions. id be afraid i might miss somethin this way.
    if anyone can help thanks
    There isn't that much theory, and it's mostly common sense, with the exception of Published accounts. All we did was spend a week or so revising it in class and we have about two or three pages covering all of it. So far at least, they've given marks for single words because it's attempted so badly. However, that could change..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

galway.gaa wrote: »
    ive learnt manufacturing, service firms, published, incomplete and joc costing. i think im fairly save with them. if they come up i think ill get de a1

Please learn to type properly, it ain't that hard. :)

Q1. Manufacturing/Company
    Q5. Interpretation
    Q6. Published/Incomplete Balance Sheet Method
    /7. Service/Farm 100
    Q8. Meh, Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

donfarrell wrote: »

No its not, you decide on the day ya fe(king ejet...

Sure i'll give ya a hand with OL if ya need it... Its too ****ing easy IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I've just looked at last years "farce" of a paper and I cant see anything wrong with it at all other than it didn't meat peoples predictions.

Moral of the story! don't try and predict stuff, every year people get caught out doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I can't seem to get manufacturing accounts right at all :mad:

KenHy wrote: »
    I've just looked at last years "farce" of a paper and I cant see anything wrong with it at all other than it didn't meat peoples predictions.

Moral of the story! don't try and predict stuff, every year people get caught out doing it.

there was also alot more notes than normal which was hard to get done within time constraints

How can they fcuk things up this year? So we can be prepared :D

Please learn to type properly, it ain't that hard. :)

Q1. Manufacturing/Company
    Q5. Interpretation
    Q6. Published/Incomplete Balance Sheet Method
    /7. Service/Farm 100
    Q8. Meh, Whatever.
    why are you getting so annoyed over a typing error? it was just a little mistake. calm down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

Ah the morro bastards are on boards.ie aswell, whats this world coming to!!

I think it was manufacturing accounts that made me drop down. Couldn't get a grip on them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I would make you sure you know the Question 1's (Final A/Cs) well as they seem to be getting harder.

2007: Company Final a/c that was slightly harder than normal (they added an adjustment that seem to catch some people out - store room damage)
    2008: Sole Trader Final a/c was a good deal more difficult than the usual Q1. They had a few extra adjustments in that made it tricky
    2009: ?

If it follows the previous pattern, 2009 might be a tough one.

My advice would be to not just learn off the layout and hope it comes up in exactly the same format as usual, but to know why you are doing everything. If you understand fully why you debit and credit, and add and subtract certain items, then a slightly-different question won't throw you off and make you take longer than 50 mins.

And also, don't ignore Sole Trader Final a/cs. Just because they came up in 08 does not rule them out for 09. It is less likely, but not impossible. Even if they don't come up, aspects of it came come up, just like the way they added the Suspense adjustment in 2007 Company Final A/C's.

Good luck! Remember - if it doesn't balance in the LC don't worry - it's likely that you only made a small mistake. Sometimes people find it easier just to not total up the Total Net Assets and Capital Employed Figures as then they won't get fussed if it doesn't balance.

Is it just that you can't get them to balance? It might just be one mistake, which is only a couple of marks so you could still be doing quite good on the question.

If you are really struggling with it consider switching and doing the two 60 mark questions. Depreciation/revaluation are the only topics that you won't have already covered.

• Advertisement

As someone said Christy Tyrell set the paper last year so he went out with a 'bang'.

Interesting SligoBrewer should say Farm 100marks. Have you got any 100mark type Qs? My teacher found one and gave it to us. At first try it seemed much harder than the 60mark ones!! Wouldn't mind trying a few more of these if you have them? Thanks

Advertisement