Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

strachan for Chelsea ?

• 25-05-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Just throwing it out there, I think he'd be decent ...

he's a great manager and with a squad like Chelsea to play with ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not going to elaborate as i do not have time, but quite simply - NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

jackdaw wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there, I think he'd be decent ...

he's a great manager and with a squad like Chelsea to play with ...

You serious???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL or facepalm?
    facepalm or LOL?

I can't decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sunderland at a stretch, but no chance of him at Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

abramovich.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jackdaw, you truly are awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nice level, wp. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That has cheered me up a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not saying he is the man for Chelsea by any means, but again here we go with people getting cocky with their limited knowledge of someones managerial capabilities. The man is a very good manager based on what he has done so far in the game.

He also played for a very big club in the past. So its not like he wouldn't have any idea how a big club is run.

Would you have given Rafa Benitez the job at Valencia?

Would you have given Guardiola the job at the Nou Camp?

There are plenty of other examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Stekelly wrote: »

I agree, im fairly certain he will be at the sunderland helm next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nice level, wp. :rolleyes:

WTF is a level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think it's fair to say, and common sense really that Strachan would have as much hope of getting the Chelsea job as he would the Rangers one,

You really think after not being able to get Hiddink full term and being linked with Ancellotti, the players at their disposal and their money, that they would hire a manager of Strachans calibre?

they are looking to push on next season not back.

anyone who thinks Strachan would get the job, or would even be slightly deserving of tghe job is deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    The man is a very good manager based on what he has done so far in the game.

not according to any celtic fans i know

I think it's fair to say, and common sense really that Strachan would have as much hope of getting the Chelsea job as he would the Rangers one,

You really think after not being able to get Hiddink full term and being linked with Ancellotti, the players at their disposal and their money, that they would hire a manager of Strachans calibre?

they are looking to push on next season not back.

anyone who thinks Strachan would get the job, or would even be slightly deserving of tghe job is deluded
    So then you think that whoever gave Guardiola the job at the Nou Camp was deluded?
    And similarly with Benitez at Valencia?

So then you think that whoever gave Guardiola the job at the Nou Camp was deluded?

Well Benitez wasn't first choice for the job at Valencia, but it wasn't a deluded appointment no,

Guardiola did well with the B team and had no previous managerial experience, you are taking a chance yes,

but at least with Strachan you know his history, he has had chances and hasn't lit the world alight, not enough for Chelsea anyways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Stekelly wrote: »

Exactly what i was going to say! Got a good laugh out of the idea though! I take it your a celtic fan anyway OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big difference.

guardiola and Benitzez = unproven
    Strachan = ****

Well Benitez wasn't first choice for the job at Valencia, but it wasn't a deluded appointment no,

Guardiola did well with the B team and had no previous managerial experience, you are taking a chance yes,

but at least with Strachan you know his history, he has had chances and hasn't lit the world alight, not enough for Chelsea anyways.
    Benitez' record in management was far less convincing than that of Gordon Strachan when he got the Valencia job. I mean three titles in four years with Celtic is nothing extraordinary but its still success and what he did at Southamption was impressive, getting them to an FA Cup final alone was incredible, not to mention his league performances with them. He also kept a terrible Coventry side in the Premier League longer than they should have been.

Big difference.

guardiola and Benitzez = unproven
    Strachan = ****
    See this shows just how little you really know. Benitez had failed at a couple of clubs and shown a modicum of success at one club.

• Advertisement

Benitez' record in management was far less convincing than that of Gordon Strachan when he got the Valencia job. I mean three titles in four years with Celtic is nothing extraordinary but its still success and what he did at Southamption was impressive, getting them to an FA Cup final alone was incredible, not to mention his league performances with them. He also kept a terrible Coventry side in the Premier League longer than they should have been.

I don't doubt strachan had success at the clubs he was at, he done well at Coventry to keep them up for so long as you say - but got lucky the first time with the Boro thing. The Fa cup final was a good achievement, but Milwall were in the final the next year,

my main point is that he is not good enough for a club like Chelsea, what he has done is not what they are looking for.

See this shows just how little you really know.

have to laugh at this coming from a bloke who reckons gordon strachan is a great manager who could do a job at a european superpower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is nearly up there with some eijits arguing that Martin O'Neill was a more capable manager than Rafa at the start of the season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not saying he is the man for Chelsea by any means, but again here we go with people getting cocky with their limited knowledge of someones managerial capabilities. The man is a very good manager based on what he has done so far in the game.

He also played for a very big club in the past. So its not like he wouldn't have any idea how a big club is run.

Would you have given Rafa Benitez the job at Valencia?

Would you have given Guardiola the job at the Nou Camp?

There are plenty of other examples.

Whatever about his managerial track record (it is not bad in truth), but he is about as likely to get the Chelsea job as I am, and it is nothing to do with his track record. Do you honestly think there is a chance he will get the job this summer, leaving aside any track record you might point at?

If you do think there is a chance that he might get the job, even a small chance, then you really would want to reconsider who is actually the deluded one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

See this shows just how little you really know. Benitez had failed at a couple of clubs and shown a modicum of success at one club.

Man alive, you talk some ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Exactly what i was going to say! Got a good laugh out of the idea though! I take it your a celtic fan anyway OP?

I don't really follow scottish football .. I just base on what he has achieved
    with the resources he has...

jackdaw wrote: »
    I don't really follow scottish football .. I just base on what he has achieved
    with the resources he has...

won the league over a shockingly bad rangers side with no money in a mickey mouse league 3 times out of 4 seasons before throwing away an 8 point lead at the top in the very same season he dragged celtic down to rangers somewhat questionable level in terms of footballing performances, all the while playing anti football and leaving out some of celtics best performers?

or did you just look at the bit where he won the league 3 times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Helix wrote: »

To be fair that is what he will ultimately be judged on. 3 out of 4 league titles is a good achievement. Last 16 twice of the CL as well?

Since when did Celtic supporters turn into Real Madrid supporters when just league titles were not good enough? They had to win Sexy. :eek:

Strachan to Chelsea is waffle, but not as overly ludicrous as some of ye make out. At the end of the day he is a decent manager with a decent CV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

modicum

FANCY WORDS = MORE SMART
    strachan isnt too bad but to go from the SPL where its just a two horse race to chelski who fight for trophies on all fronts is a massive step up. phil scolari, a manager who won the world cup was sacked after 7 months or so. the previous manager was sacked for only coming 2nd. the manager before that was the most successful manager in the clubs history and he was let go at a whim.
    its the hot seat that has the most pressure on it in the world of club football (i dont count real madrid in this as its amazingly too ridiculous there) and you want a man who recently failed to win the SPL and who didnt exactly light the world alight with his managerial abilities to take that seat?

i could have just summed all that up with this - cha' right chap

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Since when did Celtic supporters turn into Real Madrid supporters when just league titles were not good enough? They had to win Sexy.

since they were playing complete dross every week?

if you cant beat falkirk playing decent football theres very little point trying any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

won the league over a shockingly bad rangers side with no money in a mickey mouse league 3 times out of 4 seasons before throwing away an 8 point lead at the top in the very same season he dragged celtic down to rangers somewhat questionable level in terms of footballing performances, all the while playing anti football and leaving out some of celtics best performers?

homer+simpson.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Strachan managed to beat Man Utd, Milan, Shakhtar, Benfica, Villarreal, Spartak in Europe but failed against Aalborg, Copenhagen, Artmedia...

He spent 10 years in management at lower level teams learning how to stop the opposition. What he failed at was outclassing the opposition. Celtic shouldn't have to resort to trying to match the likes of Aberdeen with phsyical players. They should be passing them off the pitch with the likes of Naka, Brown, Crosas, McGeady and Maloney in midfield.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Strachan managed to beat Man Utd, Milan, Shakhtar, Benfica, Villarreal, Spartak in Europe but failed against Aalborg, Copenhagen, Artmedia...

So did United and Chelsea in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Here's my idea: Ricky Sbragia goes to Juve, Ranieri goes to Celtic, Strachan to Chelsea, Ancelotti to Sunderland.

Seems logical, no?

if you cant beat falkirk playing decent football theres very little point trying any more

10-0 over the 3 games. ;)

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    10-0 over the 3 games. ;)

playing horrible football when theyve got the players to comfortably win the league playing nice stuff

have to laugh at this coming from a bloke who reckons gordon strachan is a great manager who could do a job at a european superpower
    And I laugh right back at you because I have not said that. Read all my posts again, my point is that we don't actually know if he would be good enough or not. His achievements so far don't dictate either way whether he would be successful but we have 'experts' here who think that its a good laugh or level, more or less saying that he is not up to such a task when they don't actually have a clue as to whether he is or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lol this actually proves that no matter what crazy sh*t you post on a forum some one will agree with you - as an Arsenal (and Celtic) fan I hope your right but I wouldnt hold my breath btw I hvent checked betfair but I assume he is at least a 3 figure price so maybe you should invest :rolleyes:

And I laugh right back at you because I have not said that. Read all my posts again, my point is that we don't actually know if he would be good enough or not. His achievements so far don't dictate either way whether he would be successful but we have 'experts' here who think that its a good laugh or level, more or less saying that he is not up to such a task when they don't actually have a clue as to whether he is or not.

so basically youre using the same logic to determine that strachan MIGHT be good at the job, as i would to say that i might be good at it? or that a well trained dog might?

5starpool wrote: »
    Whatever about his managerial track record (it is not bad in truth), but he is about as likely to get the Chelsea job as I am, and it is nothing to do with his track record. Do you honestly think there is a chance he will get the job this summer, leaving aside any track record you might point at?

If you do think there is a chance that he might get the job, even a small chance, then you really would want to reconsider who is actually the deluded one.
    I stated clearly in my first post that I didn't. I'm talking about people coming on here and more or less belittling Strachan as a manager. Haven't we got cocky, thats all I'm talking about.

• Advertisement

I stated clearly in my first post that I didn't. I'm talking about people coming on here and more or less belittling Strachan as a manager. Haven't we got cocky, thats all I'm talking about.

but hes not a very good manager, thats why hes being belittled

5starpool wrote: »

No man I don't think he will get that job.

I think that what he has done to date makes him look like a better candidate than Benitez was when he got the Valencia job. Thats not saying that he is or ever will be as good as Benitez. I'm just pointing out that a lot of those here in this forum seem to have got very cocky as regards their opinions concerning managers. I mean you can say what you like about the style of football Celtic have played under him, but at the end of his reign up there he has three titles in four years, hardly the work of a bad manager. His achievements with Southampton, a club that went downhill immediately after his departure show him in a very good light.

The guy is unproven at a very big club, but he is an intelligent bloke, has played for a big club and his managerial career to date is pretty impressive to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

not according to any celtic fans i know

Six trophies in 4 years?

Yeah terrible record. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That_Guy wrote: »
    Six trophies in 4 years?

Yeah terrible record. :rolleyes:

Read between the lines for FFS it is not as simple as that I really cant be bothered going into all the numerous reasons why he has been slowly dragging Celtic down over the last 18 months but lets just throw a few ''facts'' out there that cant be argued with :

1. The SPL is a two horse race
    2. Celtic have more resources, bigger stadium etc. than all other teams in the SPL
    3. Rangers are no world beaters right now
    4. Last January if there was life on mars even they knew we needed a FB and a Striker, no-one told WGS
    5. McGeady was player of the year last year and Strachan has let he's personal dislike of him affect he's judgement
    6. Celtic had a 7 point lead in December and the league should have been wraped up by the split

I could go on but Im getting cross :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

man, i mentioned this as a joke in the original 'Strachan leaves' thread.

it won't happen.

no way, no how, no f***ing chance.

he ain't terrible by any stretch, but he ain't good enough either.

but hes not a very good manager, thats why hes being belittled
    What makes you such an expert that you can judge his managerial capabilities?
    What do you really know about it?
    I seen someone mention that players were needed at Celtic last season and not bought. Do you know for a fact that they had the funds to buy those players? Do you know for a fact that he didn't try to address the problem positions in that team, or might it be a case of he tried to address it and for one reason or another(money, suitable player availability) it just didn't happen?

Do you know what Gordon Strachan would be capable of, given a large budget and a group of world class players? And I mean do you have any clue?

Did you know that Rafael Benitez would become so successful at Valencia? Would you have hired this man for that job?
    A manager who was successful with younger teams at Real Madrid but then went on to have a terrible start to his senior managerial with Real Vallodolid, followed by a horrific short spell with Osasuna, and then got promoted and relegated one season after the other with Extremadura before getting CD Tenerife promoted in his next stint in management.

Thats where the man was at when Valencia decided to take him on as their top guy. With the way you rate managers you would never have given him the chance. You would also have been giving out yards had he been the next Villa manager back then.

What makes you such an expert that you can judge his managerial capabilities?
    What do you really know about it?
    I seen someone mention that players were needed at Celtic last season and not bought. Do you know for a fact that they had the funds to buy those players? Do you know for a fact that he didn't try to address the problem positions in that team, or might it be a case of he tried to address it and for one reason or another(money, suitable player availability) it just didn't happen?

Do you know what Gordon Strachan would be capable of, given a large budget and a group of world class players? And I mean do you have any clue?

Did you know that Rafael Benitez would become so successful at Valencia? Would you have hired this man for that job?
    A manager who was successful with younger teams at Real Madrid but then went on to have a terrible start to his senior managerial with Real Vallodolid, followed by a horrific short spell with Osasuna, and then got promoted and relegated one season after the other with Extremadura before getting CD Tenerife promoted in his next stint in management.

Thats where the man was at when Valencia decided to take him on as their top guy. With the way you rate managers you would never have given him the chance. You would also have been giving out yards had he been the next Villa manager back then.

Link?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Link?
    I'm asking questions theres no link.

I'm asking questions theres no link.

Sorry mate. The way I was reading it, it seemed like you knew all this as a fact. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

633592506667754441-fistpalm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement