Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Cooling Mods

Options
  • 25-05-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭

I need Ideas. I play l4d and tf2 and the l4d especially, because its making out my 2 cores, runs the laptop on fire. And that heat is getting to everything, even the Hard Drive which is rarely used in play, is soaking up a lot of the excess heat. And I worry for my ram :( and the laminate on my desk has been starting to bubble.

I already have HP's interesting 12-Cell battery setup: So my laptop is already tilted at an angle. Im just trying to figure out how to do more.

Im trying to think of some ways to get a proper current running underneath the laptop. The thing I dont like about these retail mats is they lay flat against the desk and thats just a waste, as they draw little to no air, and not to mention are noisy. I'd prefer a solution that draws air in from a less obstructed area, that would actually be quieter and more effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive been looking online and - I may be mad, but Id like to try something like this

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/611617/custom_made_hdd_laptop_water_cooler/

But the video doesnt at all say where it gets the materials from. any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Pointless really cooling the hard drive.
    It's your CPU and GPU that's hitting the high temps.
    Make sure you have plenty of clearance underneath the laptop.
    I've the same problem myself.
    Getting into the 70c for GPU. It's normal temp for it but still very hot.

I was looking at this

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2899.html

after reading the reviews it gets good marks.

Im not sure that its pointless. I mean for one, saving the life of the Hard drive, which after a high stress run can get up to 70 C. Thats just playing L4D. Its its proximity to the GPU and the CPU - it soaks up a lot of the heat. As for the CPU it runs close to 80 C and the GPU close to 70 C. Gross temps.

I just figure on my laptop which you can not just stick one of these onto, the next best place to extract heat from is the Hard drive, which gets bleed from the CPU and GPU already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

that doesn't look bad to be honest..and a lot neater than the standard coolers.
    If you get one let me know how it works.

cant, it wont fit. My vents are beveled not flat; its designed for the standard heatsink vents you find on most dell laptops and a few others. But by all reports it does knock of 5 or 6 C on average. Another report I read on gizmodo is that ionized air will soak up heat much better than standard air - talks of adding an ionizer to laptops. But a desktop ionizer might be worth looking into.

I think theres a huge 2x2 ionizer in the garage I can play with, ill see how it goes later. edit: he he nope, that thing is huge, too big and clumsy to work anywhere near the laptop.

http://gizmodo.com/5261843/little-ionic-winds-stop-laptops-from-burning-body-parts

This was also featured. Sounds too good to be true though. and its not for sale yet.

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-TDD-9000_universal_patented_liquid_cooling_pad.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

once i ad a Dell XPS 1710 lapto, sometimes it went so hot, that it switched off automaticaly. so i cleaned the fans and got me a ZALMANN laptop cooler for 50,- around.. since then it was just perfect. when a laptop gets too hot, it powers up the cooling and switches down in performance, thats why sometimes playing games everythings start go slowly. so get a cooler, that will do the job, will keep the laptop - cpu- gpu -HDD at good temps.
    PS. i saw a mod, one guy put a coper plate between on a laptop CPU. got 10`C less out of it.
    adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not sure that its pointless. I mean for one, saving the life of the Hard drive, which after a high stress run can get up to 70 C. Thats just playing L4D. Its its proximity to the GPU and the CPU - it soaks up a lot of the heat. As for the CPU it runs close to 80 C and the GPU close to 70 C. Gross temps.

I just figure on my laptop which you can not just stick one of these onto, the next best place to extract heat from is the Hard drive, which gets bleed from the CPU and GPU already.

80c is a bit high for the CPU but for a mobile GPU, 'close to 70' is actually excellent. My Go7400 and 8600MGT used to hit 90 and 80 respectively - years of hardcore LAN-age saw them both sail through without issue before being sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

once i ad a Dell XPS 1710 lapto, sometimes it went so hot, that it switched off automaticaly. so i cleaned the fans and got me a ZALMANN laptop cooler for 50,- around.. since then it was just perfect. when a laptop gets too hot, it powers up the cooling and switches down in performance, thats why sometimes playing games everythings start go slowly. so get a cooler, that will do the job, will keep the laptop - cpu- gpu -HDD at good temps.
    PS. i saw a mod, one guy put a coper plate between on a laptop CPU. got 10`C less out of it.
    adverts.ie

bought this of Gonzales24 brilliant piece of kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This looks interesting:

SL730017.jpg

just a cutout of a desk with a few papst fans sucking or blowing air.

Or how abotu some ln2/dice?

pict0006op4.jpg

I also remember seeing some crazy jap custom fit a desktop cpu cooler onto a laptops cpu too, but cant find it anywhere :(

so read again... :) get ureself a laptop cooler... zalman is one of the best... thats what i found out searching in the net.. bought it for my xps 1710 had never any problems with heat again... now i sold it, so the new owner is happy uswell... so thats the non-drastic way.. and ver efficient....

• Advertisement

dont know about mobility for u, but when u have such a gaming laptop, it might be everything, but not mobile.... wen i had my xps from dell, it was about 4kg when not more... so going somewhere was a farce. when i did gaming on my laptop, the cpu/gpu/hdd gone so hot, that it start lower the performance to cool it self down. the games whent from palyable to slow-motion... bought the zalman laptop cooler. it did the job perfectly... coold down the laptp, never had broblems with heat or performance since. ok u dont like this option...
    there is this option cooler u stick it to the air-exit of ur laptop.. and up u go.. never tried, but looks ok...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Err... Overheal... what the hell is going on in that pic on Gizmodo?! Y'know, the one I can't post here for reasons of ToS and common decency? :eek:

Advertisement