Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axolotls - Available in Cork?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a pet shop in Cork that stocks (or could order in) axolotl?
    Seemingly, they're not as uncommon as they look and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get my hands on one. I've fallen in love with the little guys.
    axolotl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Any maxi zoo would order any pet once you put a deposit down. The Maxi zoo in Midleton are quite friendly/helpful. There is also Sulleys on Cornmarket Street,they seem to be good for animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

:eek:

my god! there cool looking things!!,just reading about them on wikipedia and it says they are critically endangered not sure would this cause a problem in getting one?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I don't think these would make good pets. at t'all t'all.

..In that case go to yer man on north main street.the shop name is pet shop (how ironic)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Do you have them with Tartar sauce? :P

There's a new Sully's opened in Blackpool I think. Might have one there or at least be able to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

bladebrew wrote: »
    just reading about them on wikipedia and it says they are critically endangered not sure would this cause a problem in getting one?!
    They are endangered in the wild, they only live in 2 lakes around Mexico City which are being polluted and drained by humans. they're expected to be extinct (in the wild) within 5 years or so. From what I've been able to find out online though, they have significant populations in captivity by both pet owners and medical research centers (studying how they can regenerate limbs, parts of their spine and even some of the less important brain bits)
    I don't think these would make good pets. at t'all t'all.

I know they wont be a great pet if you're expecting something you can pet and take for walks, I have a dog for that. Being a biology nut, I find them pretty interesting not to mention cute...
    The majority of care they need comes from maintaining a good water quality but I've found a couple of sites dedicated to their care.
    (Axolotl.org and Caudata.org Funnily enough, they were both founded by a lad from Dublin)

Thanks for all the tips about Sully's and the pet shop on north main street. I'll try those first and if those fail, I'll try Middleton (it's a little out of the way for me in Carrigaline)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Saw some of those over in Rodbaston college in England last year, very cool! :)

Maxi Zoo in Ballincollig or Midleton, as already mentioned, would be worth asking. Also there is Pisces Aquatic Pet Centre on Maylor St. and Fins 'n' Things in Midleton (Knockgriffin) which may be able to help you with your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

That yoke looks class!

I now want one, could it live with other fish? I guess if it can grow back it's limbs it would. But would it eat the other fishies?

Order one for me!

It's not great with tankmates, fish tend to nibble away on his gills (The feathery things on his head) and if he can fit the fish into his mouth, he'll eat them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Interesting... these remain fully aquatic and never need land? Do you just keep them in a fish tank for their entire life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

How long do they live?
    Seem a little high maintenance, like my wife... haha I don't know why I said that I don't even have a wife. lol

Bill-e wrote: »
    How long do they live?
    Seem a little high maintenance, like my wife... haha I don't know why I said that I don't even have a wife. lol
    .. I wonder why :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

You could try petstop by the kinsale round about they are good at ordering in things they don't have as well.

Illkillya wrote: »
    Interesting... these remain fully aquatic and never need land? Do you just keep them in a fish tank for their entire life?

If they're kept well, they stay aquatic for their entire life time (up to 15 years commonly). Interestingly though they can metamorphose into something like a salamander, lose their gills and develop their lungs. This is a reaction to an extreme stress though and its pretty harmful to the animal. They rarely live for more than five years after doing so.

Apart from that though, you just keep them in a big cool fish tank for their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

My friend is obsessed with them. He's been looking around to try and get some. Should direct him to this thread.

Advertisement