Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memorial Day

• 25-05-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

As I'm sure most of you know, today is Memorial Day over in America. Although this is quite obviously Ireland, I just thought I'd take time to make this thread as most people here are soldiers and I assume would fully appreciate the sacrifices made by these people.

RIP to all those that have fallen, from the Civil War, through both World Wars and all the way to the present day conflicts. They stepped up to the plate when they were called, for that they should be honoured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Our public just don't appricate just what soldiering entails, to most we're pretty much a joke.

I love how most other countries appricate the scarifices and dedication their soldiers, sailors and airmen have given.

Case in point, last year I was boarding the ferry to take me to the Statue of Liberty and onto Ellis Island (New York City). One of the officals spoted my army ID and asked was I military, immediately I told him I was but that I was in the Irish Defence Forces - and although I wasn't US, I was given a discount purely because I'd served.

Israel was the same, although they hated the UN once I made it clear that the UN isn't an army as such and that I was an Irish soldier first and foremost they respected what I stood for.

Here, they (Joe & Mary Public) couldn't give a fvck.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

I have to agree with makikomi. There is very little appreciation out there for what Irish soldiers do. Yes i know that the RDF cannot do half the stuff the PDF does. That is not what this thread is about.

While in uniform I have been laughed at etc. don't get me started on St. Patricks Day parades. I'm proud to wear the uniform of my country and nothing will stop me from wearing it proudly!

Personally I was dissappointed by the turnout for the commemoration for the 1916 Rising in Dublin, also because of the fact that it wasn't even televised. Sister Sister was apparantly more important. It's only the event that got the ball rolling for Irish independence.:rolleyes: Shows the amount of respect that's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

There is unfortunately a prevalent attitude in this country that we don't need an army and the money would be better spent elsewhere, naive in my opinion. There is little appreciation of the sacrifice made by many Irish soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I think like a lot of things about Ireland there is SO much hypocrysy(to the point of self delusion almost)

We know abortion is a nescessary evil in some cases,We voted for a womans right to travel but not to have a clinic here for them to face the trauma close to friends and family.

We have and always want the protection of NATO,but we want also not to be a member of nato:mad:

Soldiers are paid very badly and seen by many Irish people as a 2nd or 3rd rate army............................................until in the case of civil unrest there is no one to protect them,or in the case of strikes there is no one to keep electricity,water,gas,rubbish collection etc going.

Only then do the I,m alrighters appreciate the Irish army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

to most we're pretty much a joke
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Most of what the army does isn't reported. Sure, you'll see a small article when they go off on their peace-keeping missions, which many people seem to think means that you're going into a peaceful area :eek:

Would love to have been given the chance to serve, but meh, wasn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Respect for all those who give up their life for the greater cause.

Not many people would make the ultimate sacrifice for those who are both gratefull and ungratefull.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Our public just don't appricate just what soldiering entails, to most we're pretty much a joke.

Ah sure, don't they just sit in the barracks and drink all day. The do nothin else the lazy feckers.

(I think you know I am being Sarcastic Mairt.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Sad to say the Defence forces will never be appreciated until they fight in a proper war and suffer casualties. The fact that UN service is tough and often dangerous is lost on the general public.

Of course that will never happen because no Irish government will allow the defence forces to go anywhere near anything but peacekeeping. Which of course means the army will remain something of a joke with the public at large.

As for our commemoration day. Quickly without googling. What date is it on? I absolutely guarantee the the average member of the public won't know or will say November 11th. The national commemoration day was a makey up politically motivated expedient to stop people commemorating Armstice day. It's so all inclusive it includes nobody. They just should have just left the army to remember it's own deceased at the memorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Lads it saddens me to see you feeling this way, and that your belief is that Joe public doesn't give a toss about the DF but I have to say that there are many I know including myself who have the highest regard for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I love how most other countries appricate the scarifices and dedication their soldiers, sailors and airmen have given.

Here, they (Joe & Mary Public) couldn't give a fvck.

Joe public were very supportive of the 90th easter rising parade a while back.

More PR like that would be good for the army. the army press office fought people on the likes of bebo and facebook now they have a facebook account and are starting to show video etc of what you do. To me it seems the army brass have their head up their ar$e when it comes to public perception, letting stories like the deafness claims colour peoples view of the army. The army seems very paranoid about anything that goes on around them that they cant control, look at the storm in a tea cup here about some letter from the head of the reserve.

Joe and Mary public dont give a fvck about the defence forces because what they have been fed is negative about them, the pdf were one of the main piss takers of the fca, to you there is a difference but most of my friends wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a member of the regular forces and a member of the reserve by looking at the uniform. All they see is a uniform, if that uniform is been slagged or looks unprofessional then its the whole force that gets coloured in my view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lebron james

people who put their lives in the arms of their country are to me heros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

pmg58 wrote: »
    There is unfortunately a prevalent attitude in this country that we don't need an army and the money would be better spent elsewhere, naive in my opinion. There is little appreciation of the sacrifice made by many Irish soldiers.

I agree.

When people try to talk ****e about the DF I don't really bother even arguing with them. However, when they try to belittle the sacrifices and in particular the Irish soldiers that have died whilst serving... Well then, they get met with a very angry Poccington.

Advertisement