Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eatingand drinking on the River Shannon south of Banagher

Options
  • 25-05-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,
    We're hiring a Cruiser this bank holiday weekend and heading south from Banagher. Can anyone recommend any good eating and drinking spots along the river south of Banagher?
    Thanks,
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

How far south you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bobrien1974

Hi..
    We have four full days cruising and we have to get back to Banagher, so I'd hope we get as far as Killaloe, want to explore a lot of Lough Derg if its not to windy.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

http://www.iwai.ie/maps/shannon-erne/index.html
    Terryglass is a great stop - just south of Portumna on your LHS. Nice bar there with decent food. There is a good restaurant in Killaloe too - I'll have to find the name. Portumna isn't that good tbh. And it's a bit of a hoof into the town if you're getting supplies.
    JJ Houghs in Banagher is a fantastic bar, defo worth a look. And if you can (sometimes it's closed) Lecarrow in Lough Ree is a really beautiful place to stop, and the bar there is great too. You'll defo get down to Killaloe and back. We would do Killaloe to Athlone and back to Portumna in about 3 days. If you decide to go north, Termonbarry is a lovely stop - The Purple Onion has a great rep for food. And there are a few nice bars there too.
    The boats will usually have a giude on them with local places to stop, and Lough Derg has loads of nice places to stop off and have a mooch/drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Carlossainz73

Guys, great advice on the towns around lough Derg. myself have a small cruiser that I need mooring for a few months we have contacted a few places who are quoting high prices as well as not providing six month packages!...

Anybody out there know of a six-four month location for good money... really not requiring the luxury fitout just something safe from the thieving eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Thinkin of doing the same, But dunno howto get to banagher from dublin any ideas( Dont have a car) Cheers.Also Know any good spots to see......

Pogmothone wrote: »
    Thinkin of doing the same, But dunno howto get to banagher from dublin any ideas( Dont have a car) Cheers.Also Know any good spots to see......

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202394311-120.pdf

Is the only direct bus. You could prob get a bus/train to Athlone and get a taxi down?

Advertisement