Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has there ever been a

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

No interest in this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

No interest in this one?

Is this a .... you show me yours I'll show you mine thread?

I'd love to see pics of people studio's...

Sadly mine is an untreated home studio :( Does what I need it to do, but not impressive by any standards...

Welease wrote: »
    Is this a .... you show me yours I'll show you mine thread?

I'd love to see pics of people studio's...

Sadly mine is an untreated home studio :( Does what I need it to do, but not impressive by any standards...

Sounds much like my own. It would be great all the same to see what the Pros and semi pros on Boards have. Nice to see what the people you know (sort of) are using.

Dav posted a few pics of his place a while back. Was very nice.

Well.. here's mine then...

Long shot of room... Crap lighting one of the bulbs blew as I was about to take the photo :)

DSC01833.jpg

Desk and two amps...

DSC01835.jpg

Firewire mixer / rack and desk..

DSC01834.jpg

Welease, that's a dedicated music room you have there. Some nice equipment too.

I have a corner of a dining room, not very pro or rock n roll.

Thanks for sticking up the pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I've posted these before, but sure here goes again... my set up is in my garage/garden shed... (looks like I overdid the "reduce picture size")

m_7be86c140b674e369e0acd5db84c9e7d.jpgm_9111039b45794ecabc8e22e5f3429488.jpgm_acb6ceee53d7434bae7272fecc9ba80f.jpg
    m_c8738e9d90d84b0782943216b5f655a4.jpgm_e41c54bd8246419b8d8a6531dbaeebc6.jpgm_bd9302b3e7314f50bb970e1ec4a9073d.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jaysus Yoda,

Wouldnt those speakers give you a hell of a blast there?

-Drav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

nice oldschool arcade machine in the corner Welease.

seannash wrote: »
    nice oldschool arcade machine in the corner Welease.

Sadly it's the last one i kept.. Used to have

Spy Hunter
    Racing Hero
    Mortal Kombat
    Pacman
    Judge Dredd pinball
    and all the old classic boards which I could swap in (Centipede, RType etc)..

Were great fun at parties.. but a pain in the ass to bring when we moved back to Ireland. So they all got sold off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

love the arcade machine :) gotta find me OUTRUN :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

"Show us pics of your Studio" thread done on the MP forum?

If not can we have one now pleaaasssseee?

I recently upgraded my desk, 24 tracks just wasn't cutting it for me.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/Mash3/Audio/VRPBEAITY2.jpg

I didn't know Behringer made desks that big ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I didn't know Behringer made desks that big ...

They do yeah... but its inflatable...

- Drav!

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I've posted these before, but sure here goes again... my set up is in my garage/garden shed... (looks like I overdid the "reduce picture size")

m_7be86c140b674e369e0acd5db84c9e7d.jpgm_9111039b45794ecabc8e22e5f3429488.jpgm_acb6ceee53d7434bae7272fecc9ba80f.jpg
    m_c8738e9d90d84b0782943216b5f655a4.jpgm_e41c54bd8246419b8d8a6531dbaeebc6.jpgm_bd9302b3e7314f50bb970e1ec4a9073d.jpg

I see you have the kit mic'd up.. Did you have to do much treatment for the room.. Would be very interested in what you did, costs and relative benefits ... if you dont mind.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Humble, but its doing the job so far. Constantly upgrading obviously.

8247517650a10858220462l.jpg
    8247517650a10858220334l.jpg
    8247517650a10858220259l.jpg

There are more here.

I see you have the kit mic'd up.. Did you have to do much treatment for the room.. Would be very interested in what you did, costs and relative benefits ... if you dont mind.. :)

Yeah, no worries... although I'm no expert… most of what I’ve learned since I put my place together just over a year ago either was either from folks on this very forum or over on drummingireland… and as Aridstarling says, “Humble, but its doing the job so far. Constantly upgrading obviously.”

I'll drop you a PM & you can let me know if you need any more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Well.. here's mine then...

]

Welease, have you ever tried running you rig down the room i.e where the drums are and your speakers facing your double doors?

The symmetry may well be beneficial to your mix.

If you had the space perhaps set up a metre or more from your back wall. This might give you a more even bass response.

Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Mine of course ITB.
    core2extreme_quad_cpu.jpg

I don't have one !

However the last one I'm involved building is -

http://www.myspace.com/middlewalk

It's off da chain .... or will be when it's entirely finished.

Anyone in the Nenagh area should swing around for a peek.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Welease, have you ever tried running you rig down the room i.e where the drums are and your speakers facing your double doors?

The symmetry may well be beneficial to your mix.

If you had the space perhaps set up a metre or more from your back wall. This might give you a more even bass response.

Just a thought!

It's interesting that you mention that.. I had been considering swapping the room around, as I guessed having the monitors buried down in the corner of a sloping room probably wasnt the best position..

Luckily enough, when we built the room last year i put 12 double power sockets at each end, so I can swap around easily enough..

I have attached two photo's to give a perspective of what the room looks like.. It's basically a |
    | shape (like an extended capital I on it's side).. the first photo is the left hand wide end (as were the other photos).. and the second photo is the long bit in the middle (at the far end is another wide bit like the one in the first photo but it contains a projector/screen/sofa etc)..

From an acoustic perspective.. would the sloping roof have much of a negative impact? (as in.. will it always hamper getting a decent sound, especially on drums?)..
    Would I be better off using the long middle room for recording or would it make little to zero difference? (the end rooms are about 30 ft long by 20ft wide).. the middle room is 100ft by about 20ft end to end...
    I assume I should also have a lot more sound absorbtion in the rooms.. the middle room has a natural reverb :p

Basically.. any tips or ideas for improving the sound? :)

DSC01846.jpg

Long room taken with my back to the guitars...

DSC01840.jpg

Holy Feck, there's a 3rd bit !

You've lots of space ok which is good, but a low roof (being at attic I guess that's that) which is bad.

However we've had some good results in attics. There's a nice place in Galway but his gaff is more symmetrical.

I'd image with the 'T' space and stairwell you get all sorts of echo/reverb elements bangin' around.

She's a difficult one !

However a bit of symmetry and avoiding wall coupling won't make things worse !

If you were asking about a build I'd have sealed off the stairwell bit to give you a long inverted V shape, window down one end and doors down the other.
    That, to my mind would be a much more predictable and controllable space.

• Advertisement

yeah it's an attic and there is a pronounced reverb near the stairwell :)

I'll swap desks around and see how i get on.. thanks for the info..

One final question.. in general would it be better to record with the double doors open to minimise reverb/reflection or is that not encouraged for other reasons? (and i should just use more absorbtion?)

The double doors open out onto a balcony and then it's just fields for miles.. so no noise should bleed in..

Thanks again :)

yeah it's an attic and there is a pronounced reverb near the stairwell :)

That would be the core issue to be addressed in my opinion, on first glance.

Attics can sometime be ok from a bass end perspective as usually behind the plaster board is space and often within that space is heat insulation fibreglass or similar which can work to your benefit, even in a haphazard way.

Sometimes your Frequency response can be ok but your reverb time is a little to high. In this instance your room might sound 'good' but just be too 'reverby'

That could be the case with your rooms.

Do the (costfree!) move and see is there a working improvement.

Things may not sound obviously better as such, but the work you do might sound better outside the room.

Nice setup. same monitors as me, BX8a's.

They do yeah... but its inflatable...

- Drav!

It's actually just four tracks and lots of mirrors:D

This is where the magic happens:D

DSC00034.JPG

I can't get my picture to upload as a picture.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Just about to move house at the moment and my whole studio is packed into a wardrobe at the moment ( wouldn't make for a very interesting picture) but once I decide which room to put my stuff in in the new house then (and set it up) then I'll post a pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This all looks familiar...IIRC, are you PearlSMX from DI?

jiltloop wrote: »
    Just about to move house at the moment and my whole studio is packed into a wardrobe at the moment ( wouldn't make for a very interesting picture) but once I decide which room to put my stuff in in the new house then (and set it up) then I'll post a pic.

I heard The Cure, recorded "Love cats" in a wardrobe:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

:rolleyes: have you not seen the videos? it was "close to me" cept they never finished cause they fell off a cliff :pac::pac::pac::pac:

yeah but anyway, robert smith = genius :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Hmmm maybe I should run a bit of power into the wardrobe and plug everything in and have a bash!

mars bar wrote: »
    This all looks familiar...IIRC, are you PearlSMX from DI?

Indeed... have tried to get my name changed over there a few times, but don't think the system will allow it.

So who are you on DI?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

some nice setup lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I don't have one !

Looks good, where abouts in Nenagh is that? wouldn't mind having a goo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I don't have one !

looks nice. lovin the ssl

also the 1176 "blackface" - is that an original urie or the ua re-issue? (either way a lovely piece of kit!!!)

I don't have one !

That's a fantastic looking set up. I hope he gets enough work to pay for it all.

• Advertisement

That's a fantastic looking set up. I hope he gets enough work to pay for it all.

He already has !

looks nice. lovin the ssl

also the 1176 "blackface" - is that an original urie or the ua re-issue? (either way a lovely piece of kit!!!)

It's a UA. There's still cosmetic work to be done (fabric covering , rack backs etc) but they're outstanding rooms.

11811 wrote: »
    Looks good, where abouts in Nenagh is that? wouldn't mind having a goo!

It's between Nenagh and Cloughjordan - Myspace Peter or if that doesn't suit I'll PM you his number.

He already has !

That's good to hear.

Did it take long to get the whole thing done?

That's good to hear.

Did it take long to get the whole thing done?

It started a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement