Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing Shed

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all, im planning to build a shed out my back. Im going to use it to play my future drums which im going to have to purchase also. Now, what could i possibly do to eliminate as much noise as possible or even no noise at all if thats possible. I live in an estate, and would like to play at odd hours. Could i get advice on what materials i would need for the shed and how big i should have it. I have a decent enough sized garden, I have €15,000 for my drums and the shed, i dont expect to blow the lot because its pretty much all i have.

Also im looking to buy a double bass drums with alot of symbals etc etc :cool:
    Any ideas where to buy?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Help Desk is for people who are having issues with the site or a moderator decision.

Let's try moving this to DIY (edit: I see Beruthiel's moved it just as I was going to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Gypsum soundbloc plasterboard on internal walls. Have you thought about a room inside the shed ie. go into shed, close door, open door of new room then play to your hearts content!! I only mention this as I slabbed a recording studio and that was how they did it - also the room did not have 90 degree corners as this was supposed to make the noise bounce around and would be liable for noise escaping!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fin-slipknot

this is not my thread. its a friend who uses this acc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Have a look at this link it may be of some interest.
    http://supersoundproofing.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fin-slipknot

Ambersky wrote: »
    Have a look at this link it may be of some interest.
    http://supersoundproofing.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

yeah tnx, il send the link to him. fair play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm going to go with a log cabin as a concrete build was coming in lat year about 60 grand. I have read quite a bit about sound proofing, and there's a very in depth site (www.johnlsayers.com) that has loads of theory, different designs, etc. But the more I read the more confused I get almost...it's a very in depth topic.

Would love to find someone that has built a shed/log cabin and sound proofed it, how they did it, how successful it was, did it stop live drums escaping (drum would be the hardest instrument to contain), etc. There is a theory of room within a room, but this means no windows, so no natural light...not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

A mate of mine soundproofed the attic in a mid terrace house. He built a free standing wall in timber and installed that thick kingspan board on it. This new wall were not attached to the external walls of the house. He then built a platform out of timber that is suspended from the roof joists using rope, this platform is also covered in the kingspan board(it seams to have a 4inch layer of foam.

the worst thing about noise is the impact noise, the boom from the bass drums is not heard or felt outside the attic.

Advertisement