Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland for Man Utd????????

• 25-05-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a mate earlier and they had heard rumours of Fergie to replace Scholes with Stephen Ireland?

Anybody heard anything and would Ireland go to United?
    Christ, I hope not:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Comes earlier every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Was talking to a mate earlier and they had heard rumours of Fergie to replace Scholes with Stephen Ireland?

Id say they read it in the paper, it was in one of the papers the other day.

Apparantly he want's pay parity with the likes of richards etc - so up around the 90,000 mark,

not sure United would offer him that, even if they wanted him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If he had the chance to go to Man Utd he'd be stupid not to go. He'll achieve far more at United than he ever will at City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I hope your right, as Manutd fan would'nt want him and don't think he is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

we were talking about this in the utd thread the other day

ill repeat what I said
    he'll be my dream signing for utd this summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

If he really is the manic Man city fan that he say's he is I doubt he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

:

We already have Scholes replacement.... Anderson

Steven Ireland aint going anywhere other than to wash his hair!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

he'd be a great signing - might even make the bench next season at united (for the RESERVES).

Definitly the most over-rated player in the premier league since Harry Kewell.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    he'd be a great signing - might even make the bench next season at united (for the RESERVES).

OMG

total face palm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he'd be a cracking signing. I also think that the rumours for him are a ploy by the agent to get more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Must be a playstation supporter;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Comes earlier every year.

What? Christmas?
    :p

PHB wrote: »
    I think he'd be a cracking signing. I also think that the rumours for him are a ploy by the agent to get more money.

I agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

thecutter wrote: »
    We already have Scholes replacement.... Anderson

I know that AF said that he saw Anderson as the long term replacement for Scholes when he signed him but Anderson hasn't really shown that he is that sort of player. The fact that he hasn't scored 1 goal and has only had 6 assists in two seasons is an indication of this too.

Ireland on the other hand can offer what Scholes used to offer United.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Dont think he has the right attitud to play at Utd first of all ( that said we do have ronaldo etc etc)

And tbh i think hes a great player for Man City, but i dont think he'd be a great player at Utd - that said i would be said i would be slightly curious as to how he'd do if it happened, wouldn't rule him out of being a good signing either

I know that AF said that he saw Anderson as the long term replacement for Scholes when he signed him but Anderson hasn't really shown that he is that sort of player. The fact that he hasn't scored 1 goal and has only had 6 assists in two seasons is an indication of this too.

Ireland on the other hand can offer what Scholes used to offer United.

tbf ando injuries and not having a preseason with utd have slowed his progress with utd
    but Im still very confident he'll make it at utd

Ireland is the midfielder type utd are missing,he wont be going any-where but I can dream

I think Ireland has the potential to become one of the greatest players of his era and hopefully he does'nt go to united !!

Whatever anyone thinks of the chap, he is a joy to watch and remember he is playing in an inconsistant average City team.

I can't see him leaving tbh. No-one will be prepared to match the wages City will pay him and why would the richest club in the world sell their best player ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I also think he'd be a good signing although I'm not sure if it would ever come to fruition.

I do believe he could develop further at Utd rather than City given the players he'd be around. Although maybe if City land a few of the big names they're hoping for this Summer that may be negated somewhat.

Carlsberg don't do ridiculous posts but if they did this would be the most ridiculous post in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Is Ireland really that good?

He's had a great season, but is he a great player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think he's a great player. Well capable of playing with the best players in the world and imo would just get better in that company, most would look poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Headshot wrote: »
    tbf ando injuries and not having a preseason with utd have slowed his progress with utd
    but Im still very confident he'll make it at utd

Ireland is the midfielder type utd are missing,he wont be going any-where but I can dream

I don't for a minute think that Anderson won't be a success at United. I just don't know whether he will ever be able to offer what Scholes has offered United. That is not an attack on the lad either -just that Scholes has been one of the best players of his generation.

I agree that Ireland would make a massive difference to the current United team. I was very worried when you signed Nani and Anderson 2 seasons ago as I thought that he had maybe found two young lads that could take over from Giggs and Scholes.

Up to that stage, the only comfort I had during United's seasons of domination was that eventually the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Neville would have to retire and would be near impossible to replace without shelling out a complete fortune. For the moment, Nani could possibly be written off as a failure and Anderson looks decent but still has to prove himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've been completely won over by Ireland this season, any game I watched City play the guy was basically running the show. As a Utd fan I'd love to see him at the club and think his career would benefit massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I don't for a minute think that Anderson won't be a success at United. I just don't know whether he will ever be able to offer what Scholes has offered United. That is not an attack on the lad either -just that Scholes has been one of the best players of his generation.

I agree that Ireland would make a massive difference to the current United team. I was very worried when you signed Nani and Anderson 2 seasons ago as I thought that he had maybe found two young lads that could take over from Giggs and Scholes.

Up to that stage, the only comfort I had during United's seasons of domination was that eventually the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Neville would have to retire and would be near impossible to replace without shelling out a complete fortune. For the moment, Nani could possibly be written off as a failure and Anderson looks decent but still has to prove himself

Indeed, I can see Anderson developing into a Essien style midfielder rather than Scholes.

Nani is an enigma, has the talent but isn't next to near using it atm, maybe its lack of game time and consistent run in the team but he obviously isn't producing on the training ground.

Ireland would be a brilliant brilliant signing but won't happen unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

What a Corkman playing for Man Utd who refuses to play for his country? Well i never.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apparantly he want's pay parity with the likes of richards etc - so up around the 90,000 mark,

:eek:

Smegball wrote: »
    Indeed, I can see Anderson developing into a Essien style midfielder rather than Scholes.

Nani is an enigma, has the talent but isn't next to near using it atm, maybe its lack of game time and consistent run in the team but he obviously isn't producing on the training ground.

Ireland would be a brilliant brilliant signing but won't happen unfortunately.

Anderson has quality and should be an excellent player.

Nani on the otherhand I would put in the same category as Babel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has a city player ever joined United?

law

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i know this is off topic, but micah richards is on 90,000 a year?
    micah richards?
    torres gets paid that a week. f**kin hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

A7X wrote: »
    If he really is the manic Man city fan that he say's he is I doubt he will.
    He's a Man Utd fan, as he mentioned is his recent Football Focus interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

He's a great player who will get better, but unfortunately the odds of him joining United are very slim. City don't need the money, and they would never sell their best player to United, a team who they claim that they want to be challenging for the title in the near future.

The only way I could see it happening is if Ireland plays out his contract and leaves for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jazzy wrote: »
    micah richards?

I was just saying what was written in the paper -so not true :)

but having googled a bit the figure i see is £45,000 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ireland has said that he wants to be at City for the rest of his career, he fell in love with the place when he arrived and he and his family love it there.

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though

Dave! wrote: »
    Ireland has said that he wants to be at City for the rest of his career, he fell in love with the place when he arrived and he and his family love it there.

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though

players say alot of crap these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though

everything i've read and heard about Ireland suggests he isn't this type of personality, despite what he may say.

I'd say he could leave eventually be will probably be at City for the next couple of seasons. If he continues performing the way he is i'd say one Chelsea and Pool would be interested in him as replacement for Gerrard/Lamps in the long term and that kind of move would be hard to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though
    Well it's not that far a move and I think his contract is up next season so they may want to cut their losses and try to bring in a replacement this season rather than be left in the lurch next season. Wishful thinking I know, but one can hope.

I dunno, I'd say his eccentricity would make him likely to stay at City for the rest of his career rather than move onto somewhere better like a normal person :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

He's a Man Utd fan, as he mentioned is his recent Football Focus interview.

Must have miss understood him for this.

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ireland is a cracking player, no doubt. I don't like him because he won't play for the National team (but that would be a plus for Ferguson).

There's a good case to be made for him at United as a Scholes replacement. He has the skill for that definitely. But do United want a Scholes replacement? Maybe a combative type would be more important, especially considering the formation Ferguson is using these days.

I'm sure it's all just paper/agent talk anyway.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    micah richards?

Richards > Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

He'd fit right in at United though with his hatred of International duty.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He's not going anywhere

Quality player though

He loves Man City or Manchester?
    I dunno, I'd say his eccentricity would make him likely to stay at City for the rest of his career rather than move onto somewhere better like a normal person :p

I'd wonder about his ability to perform in high pressure situations. He's had a cosy life at City over the last year with them in a state of transition and little pressure on to succeed. To move to United or any recently successful club with the highest expectations is stepping outside his comfort zone. Tt would be stepping outside all footballers' comfort zone. So my questions would be on the very slim chance this was actually true; could he handle the pressure and does he have the ambition and desire to be at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I like Ireland as a player - he has the creative ability AND knack for goals that United have been missing. However; i don't know that he would actually fit into the United side, can he play an effective 442? Could play a 433 - Carrick and Ando behind him, Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov up top - could be very tasty alright.

Not going to happen though, just paper crap. City wouldn't sell him to us and I don't think he'd push for the move as would be needed.

how many yrs does Ireland have left on his contract?

dsmythy wrote: »
    He loves Man City or Manchester?

I was trying to find the interview he gave prior to the recent derby, but can't locate it...

Anyways, he was saying that he went to a load of different clubs when he was a young fella and when he went to Man City, he instantly felt at home, etc. etc. He also said that his family is happy there, and he wants to stay at the club for the rest of his career.

Obviously footballers say that kind of stuff all the time, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt. But I certainly wouldn't be optimistic of him leaving any time soon.

Maybe Xavi6 will be able to give more of an insight, if I'm not mistaken he has a Stephen Ireland poster on his ceiling... he's quite fond of him :)
    dsmythy wrote: »
    I'd wonder about his ability to perform in high pressure situations. He's had a cosy life at City over the last year with them in a state of transition and little pressure on to succeed. To move to United or any recently successful club with the highest expectations is stepping outside his comfort zone. Tt would be stepping outside all footballers' comfort zone. So my questions would be on the very slim chance this was actually true; could he handle the pressure and does he have the ambition and desire to be at the top.

Dunno really, not much value in making guesses and predictions about somethin like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    how many yrs does Ireland have left on his contract?

no sure - but the webster ruling has recently become that bit more expensive...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/20/webster-ruling-matuzalem-cas-compensation
    Players hoping to buy themselves out of their clubs under the Webster ruling this summer will need very deep pockets following a landmark verdict at the Court of Arbitration for Sport yesterday.

The previous ruling, which saw Andy Webster move to Wigan Athletic from Heart of Midlothian for a nominal sum equivalent to the year's salary he had remaining on his contract, has been overtaken by a more in-depth decision, which has swung the pendulum back in favour of the clubs. The case arose after the Brazilian Matuzalem, captain and top scorer at Shakhtar Donetsk, unilaterally ripped up his contract with that club, moving on to Real Zaragoza, who have since agreed his transfer to Lazio. Shakhtar took the case to Fifa and then appealed to CAS after Fifa's €6.8m (£6m) compensation award.

But yesterday the higher authority raised Shakhtar's compensation. Its decision took into account the value of the player to his former club, his salary, the difficulty he placed them in with the timing of his departure and deducted the salary Shakhtar would not have to pay him. CAS calculated this amount at more than €12m (£11m).

Stephen Sampson, the Hammonds lawyer who represented Hearts in the Webster case, told this column: "The decision removes the harmful effect of the Webster decision. Players cannot now assume they can walk out on a club and only pay the residual value of their contracts. CAS will consider compensation based on the value lost to the club."

The timing of yesterday's decision – nine months after the case was heard – is surely deliberate. Players have only until mid-June to register their intention to buy themselves out of their contracts.

no sure - but the webster ruling has recently become that bit more expensive...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/20/webster-ruling-matuzalem-cas-compensation

thats good to see

dont like too see so much player power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i can't see him going. City are now rich and ambitious, the perfect kind of club for him right now imo.

where's Xavi6?

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't see him going. City are now rich and ambitious, the perfect kind of club for him right now imo.

where's Xavi6?

op should change the thread title to
    breaking news S.ireland talking to utd

scare the **** of out of Xavi6 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement