Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland for Man Utd????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Headshot wrote: »
    how many yrs does Ireland have left on his contract?
    Expires in 2011 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't see him going. City are now rich and ambitious, the perfect kind of club for him right now imo.

where's Xavi6?

He exploded when he seen this thread.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Expires in 2011 I think.

Not too big a deal with Citys money they can afford to let him wind it down and risk losing him on a free.

However the can also afford to pay him what he wants.

Someone mentioned Richards in this thread. Every report I have seen said he wants about €90,000 a week. The reason being the Wayne Bridge was reportedly brought in on that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not too big a deal with Citys money they can afford to let him wind it down and risk losing him on a free.

However the can also afford to pay him what he wants.

Someone mentioned Richards in this thread. Every report I have seen said he wants about €90,000 a week. The reason being the Wayne Bridge was reportedly brought in on that kind of money.
    Yeah - I read the other day that Bridge is the best paid full back in the world, on 93k per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I really cant see Stephen Ireland being disloyal enough to turn his back on the fans and the team who....

Oh, wait......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah - I read the other day that Bridge is the best paid full back in the world, on 93k per week.

hmmm... i would have still thought Cashley's wages at Chelsea were higher? I've always heard his wages are somewhere in the 90k to 100k bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That's a joke. 50k less would be more his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Dont think he has the right attitud to play at Utd first of all ( that said we do have ronaldo etc etc)

And tbh i think hes a great player for Man City, but i dont think he'd be a great player at Utd - that said i would be said i would be slightly curious as to how he'd do if it happened, wouldn't rule him out of being a good signing either

what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I heard we were linked with mark Kinsella as well! Not gonna happen either tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol @ this thread
    Was talking to a mate earlier and they had heard rumours of Fergie to replace Scholes with Stephen Ireland?

Anybody heard anything and would Ireland go to United?
    Christ, I hope not:mad:

You sir are talking through your hoop, though not as much as this next man -
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    he'd be a great signing - might even make the bench next season at united (for the RESERVES).

Definitly the most over-rated player in the premier league since Harry Kewell.

One of these for you - :rolleyes:
    Dont think he has the right attitud to play at Utd first of all ( that said we do have ronaldo etc etc)

And tbh i think hes a great player for Man City, but i dont think he'd be a great player at Utd - that said i would be said i would be slightly curious as to how he'd do if it happened, wouldn't rule him out of being a good signing either

Ah yes, who wants a player who gives up his free time in the summer to work his bollox into the ground on his own to be in the best possible shape to improve his game for the next season?
    Is Ireland really that good?

He's had a great season, but is he a great player?

Yes he is
    how many yrs does Ireland have left on his contract?

5 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey xavi does your sig come in a utd version ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

On this seasons form I reckon Ireland would certainly challenge for a spot in the United team. If he keeps improving then he would easily be good enough for them.

However I can't see City letting their best player go.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

On this seasons form I reckon Ireland would certainly challenge for a spot in the United team. If he keeps improving then he would easily be good enough for them.

On this seasons form he would walk into Uniteds team IMO. He has been better and more consistent than Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, and Anderson.

On this seasons form he would walk into Uniteds team IMO. He has been better and more consistent than Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, and Anderson.

Completely different player to Carrick and Fletcher.

Also, Fletcher has been very consistent this year, just as much as Ireland - they just play completely different roles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dave! wrote: »
    I was trying to find the interview he gave prior to the recent derby, but can't locate it...

Anyways, he was saying that he went to a load of different clubs when he was a young fella and when he went to Man City, he instantly felt at home, etc. etc. He also said that his family is happy there, and he wants to stay at the club for the rest of his career.

Obviously footballers say that kind of stuff all the time, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt. But I certainly wouldn't be optimistic of him leaving any time soon.

Maybe Xavi6 will be able to give more of an insight, if I'm not mistaken he has a Stephen Ireland poster on his ceiling... he's quite fond of him :)

I hear its stuck up using a natural adhesive :)

Its on the BBC website..

edit link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/football_focus/8041610.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

United had their chance to sign him, didn't he have trials?

Boggles wrote: »
    United had their chance to sign him, didn't he have trials?

yap

Completely different player to Carrick and Fletcher.

Also, Fletcher has been very consistent this year, just as much as Ireland - they just play completely different roles

I know he is a different player, but id we had Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, and Fletcher, and Ireland this year, Ireland would be in team 90% of the time for me with one of the other four beside him.

All based on this seasons performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Completely agree with everything here...I'd say SAF would swap him with Anderson in a hearthbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

sorry, but anyone who thinks stephen ireland would not get in that utd midfield is just plain nutty.

• Advertisement

SWAR wrote: »
    Completely agree with everything here...I'd say SAF would swap him with Anderson in a hearthbeat.

I'd say you are out of your mind.

No way would Ferguson swap Anderson for Ireland. The fulfill different roles in the team so, if anything, Ferguson would be looking to have the two as a partnership (and a very good partnership it would be imo)

sorry, but anyone who doesn't think stephen ireland would not get in that utd midfield is just plain nutty.

what?

Your double negative confuses me.

just saw this post now

Im speechless

sorry, but anyone who thinks stephen ireland would not get in that utd midfield is just plain nutty.

fixed ;)

fixed ;)

On your edit - you are right.

A future midfield/forward line:

--Fletcher--Ireland--Anderson
    -Ronaldo----Berbatov--Rooney

Could be very tasty - Ireland would add the goals from midfield that we lack.

And before Xavi starts getting mad at me, I do not think it will happen. I would like it to, but it won't.

I'd say you are out of your mind.

No way would Ferguson swap Anderson for Ireland. The fulfill different roles in the team so, if anything, Ferguson would be looking to have the two as a partnership (and a very good partnership it would be imo)

What I was referring to was some people saying that Anderson was the next Paul Scholes which is rediculous IMO...he had one good season and has gone backwards this season IMO and plus he can't score...so personally if SAF was looking for a replacement for Scholes...well quite frankly Ireland is far superior to Anderson in that department IMO of course.
    just saw this post now

Im speechless

Sorry to hear that...at least you can see though!

What I was referring to was some people saying that Anderson was the next Paul Scholes which is rediculous IMO...he had one good season and has gone backwards this season IMO and plus he can't score...so personally if SAF was looking for a replacement for Scholes...well quite frankly Ireland is far superior to Anderson in that department IMO of course.

see this is where i get headaches,bloody banging my head against the desk

ando has had some injuries this season,and some people forgot the brilliant games he had like the 1st leg of the CL semi's against arsenal

What I was referring to was some people saying that Anderson was the next Paul Scholes which is rediculous IMO...he had one good season and has gone backwards this season IMO and can't score...so personally if SAF was looking for a replacement for Scholes...well quite frankly Ireland is far superior to Anderson in that department.

Anderson is a different player to Scholes - When Fergie says Anderson is Scholes' replacement, he is right. He is, currently and most likely, the player who will replace him. In the same way Carrick replaced Keane and Beckham replaced Kanchelskis. You don't replace special players like keane and scholes with like for like players. You replace them in the team/squad and move on, adapt to a new fresh style of play, as we have always done.

Anderson can score, he will eventually, though he is never likely to be a goalscoring midfield dynamo like Scholes (was), but he will provide far more defensive ability, more workrate, more tenacity than Scholes, while also being a good passer of the ball with good vision.

Ireland is better in the goal scoring stakes, yeah, but thats about it imo. At 'it' is something I would love to see at United.

Also, he has had a poor season in overall terms, but since he came back from injury (starting with the Porto game I think) he has been brilliant for United and his all energy displays were a MASSIVE part of United getting their season back on track.

see this is where i get headaches,bloody banging my head against the desk

ando has had some injuries this season,and some people forgot the brilliant games he had like the 1st leg of the CL semi's against arsenal

Put a pillow on your desk next time = no headaches. You rate Anderson very highly by the sounds of things and I think he is over-rated...let's leave it at that or you'll do yourself an injury. United supporter?...actually no need to answer that.

A future midfield/forward line:

--Fletcher--Ireland--Anderson
    -Ronaldo----Berbatov--Rooney

exactly.

that would scare the crap out of most teams if that front 6 were on top form on any given day.

won't happen though, thank God.

• Advertisement

Anderson is poor man's Stephen Ireland, whether Ferguson would ever admit it or not.

Anderson is a different player to Scholes - When Fergie says Anderson is Scholes' replacement, he is right. He is, currently and most likely, the player who will replace him. In the same way Carrick replaced Keane and Beckham replaced Kanchelskis. You don't replace special players like keane and scholes with like for like players. You replace them in the team/squad and move on, adapt to a new fresh style of play, as we have always done.

Anderson can score, he will eventually, though he is never likely to be a goalscoring midfield dynamo like Scholes (was), but he will provide far more defensive ability, more workrate, more tenacity than Scholes, while also being a good passer of the ball with good vision.

Ireland is better in the goal scoring stakes, yeah, but thats about it imo. At 'it' is something I would love to see at United.

Also, he has had a poor season in overall terms, but since he came back from injury (starting with the Porto game I think) he has been brilliant for United and his all energy displays were a MASSIVE part of United getting their season back on track.

In bold are the areas where I disagree...as I said before you have your opinion and I have mine about Anderson...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anderson is poor man's Stephen Ireland, whether Ferguson would ever admit it or not.

Fraking rubbish Xavi.

Anderson is a better player defensively than Ireland is, and has a higher work rate.

Ireland is a bit more creative and a much better goalscorer.

They are different players, neither is a poor mans player, they are simply two different players who will generally be asked to do two very different jobs.

I don't know why the hell this has to be an Anderson vs Ireland debate and I expect better of your than to go flame baiting with such comments.

Fraking rubbish Xavi.

Anderson is a better player defensively than Ireland is, and has a higher work rate.

Ireland is a bit more creative and a much better goalscorer.

They are different players, neither is a poor mans player, they are simply two different players who will generally be asked to do two very different jobs.

I don't know why the hell this has to be an Anderson vs Ireland debate and I expect better of your than to go flame baiting with such comments.

Flame baiting my arse. God forbid someone question the 'legend' that is Anderson. He has done feck all to justify the circle jerk that has surrounded him for the last two years.

And he certainly does not have a higher work rate than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah Xavi, why don't you shut up! :mad:

In bold are the areas where I disagree...as I said before you have your opinion and I have mine about Anderson...

So you disagree that Carrick replaced Keane at United?

You disagree that Beckham replaced Kanchelskis at United.

You think you replace world class players with players the exact same as them every time.

You think Anderson will never score a goal.

You think Scholes puts in as much defensive work as Anderson

You think Scholes puts in as much workrate as Anderson

Amazingly, you disagree that I would like to have Irelands goalscoring at United - seriously, how freaking presumptuous to say what I would like.

You think Anderson has had a good season and has been poor since his return from injury.

Wow - how stupid.

Flame baiting my arse. God forbid someone question the 'legend' that is Anderson. He has done feck all to justify the circle jerk that has surrounded him for the last two years.

what do you mean he's done feck all ?

so contributing to the PL and CL wins isnt enough?

You could have said Ireland is, in your opinion, better than Anderson and given reasons. You didn't. You went flame baiting by saying Anderson is a POOR mans Ireland.

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah Xavi, why don't you shut up! :mad:

he is right though.

not necessarily about anderson being a poor man's anyone, just that this 'anderson is God' lark is largely baseless apart from 'potential'. ireland's all round game is superior at this stage, including work-rate.

Anderson's been a bit part player, due a lot to injury, but he's done no more than a Fletcher has done on a far more consistent basis.

and let's face it, fletcher doesn't get lumped with the same messiah-like status the Brazilian one does.

i've no doubt anderson will be excellent, but he ain't on ireland's level yet based on what they've both delivered thus far.

• Advertisement

excellent achievement, obviously.

but you can't seriously tell me he's contributed more to United than Ireland has City.

just because he's won things doesn't mean he's a better player.

he is right though.

not necessarily about anderson being a poor man's anyone, just that this 'anderson is God' lark is largely baseless apart from 'potential'. ireland's all round game is superior at this stage, including work-rate.

Anderson's been a bit part player, due a lot to injury, but he's done no more than a Fletcher has done on a far more consistent basis.

and let's face it, fletcher doesn't get lumped with the same messiah-like status the Brazilian one does.

i've no doubt anderson will be excellent, but he ain't on ireland's level yet based on what they've both delivered thus far.
    Depending on what you are looking for he is indeed right. My problem is with the way he went about making his 'point'. You have managed very well at explaining the point, without resorting to insulting phrases.

Depending on what you are looking for he is indeed right. My problem is with the way he went about making his 'point'. You have managed very well at explaining the point, without resorting to insulting phrases.

that's fair enough :)

and cheers.

what do you mean he's done feck all ?

He's been a squad player, nothing more.
    You could have said Ireland is, in your opinion, better than Anderson and given reasons. You didn't. You went flame baiting by saying Anderson is a POOR mans Ireland.

He is a poor man's Ireland, as in he's not nearly as good. He came with a big price tag and (so far) hasn't done much to justify it.

I really wish the blinkers could come off with Anderson. FFS, he's passed off as some sort of defensive midfielder now that people have seen how bad he is in front of goal.

Wow people really are getting more and more sensitive each day in here.

but you can't seriously tell me he's contributed more to United than Ireland has City.

but Ireland has done nothing for city this season,they didnt go to istanbul (you lied;))

finished 10th this season,finished 07/09 in 9th so gone backwards

• Advertisement

No - it also doesn't mean they are players who should be directly compared.

I wouldn't swap Ireland for either Anderson or Fletcher, because I do not feel Ireland can do the job the two United players do for United. I also do not think either United player would be able to do what Ireland has done for City.

Ireland has had defensive minded players beside him this season, which has allowed him to be as good as he has been. this is not a slight on him, it is a fact of football tactics - Ireland is a great AM and should not be overly burdened with defensive responsibilities. He can and does do defensive work, but it is not the priority of his game and nor should it be. Players like Kompany playing in midfield have helped him be the player he can be.

At United, Fletcher and Anderson have been those more defensive minded players.

He's been a squad player, nothing more.

He is a poor man's Ireland, as in he's not nearly as good. He came with a big price tag and (so far) hasn't done much to justify it.

I really wish the blinkers could come off with Anderson. FFS, he's passed off as some sort of defensive midfielder now that people have seen how bad he is in front of goal.

He is passed of as a CENTRAL midfield. Not an attacking one. We'd love him to score goals but football isn't only about scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you consider Gerrard and Ronaldo as attackers rather han midfielders, then imo Ireland has been the best midfielder in the PL this season, just ahead of Alonso and Lampard. Certainly better than Carrick/Fletcher/Anderson/Scholes/Giggs/Park

He is passed of as a CENTRAL midfield. Not an attacking one. We'd love him to score goals but football isn't only about scoring.

Of course not, but even the worst CENTRAL midfielders are expected to hit the target every so often. It kinda comes with the territory.

but Ireland has done nothing for city this season,they didnt go to istanbul (you lied;))

finished 10th this season,finished 07/09 in 9th so gone backwards

that's an extremely harsh way of looking at his contribution to them this season.

and you know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement