Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland for Man Utd????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you consider Gerrard and Ronaldo as attackers rather han midfielders, then imo Ireland has been the best midfielder in the PL this season, just ahead of Alonso and Lampard. Certainly better than Carrick/Fletcher/Anderson/Scholes/Giggs/Park

If you lump all midfielders into one comparable group.

Ireland has more goals than Essien - is he a better player? I think people get too caught up in comparing players because they play 'midfield'. I think midfield is a very difficult position to compare players in because there are so many different types.

Goal scoring AMs like Lampard.
    Holding defensive midfielders like Mascherano and Makalele
    Play makers like Fabregas.
    central players like Fletcher and Essien (not saying Fletcher is as good as Essien

They do different roles, and have different expectations on what they should do in a game.

Essien and Mascherano don't get many goals, but I don't expect them to - it is not part of their job.

Goalscoring is part of what Anderson should be doing, but in the role he plays at United it is not the priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No - it also doesn't mean they are players who should be directly compared.

I wouldn't swap Ireland for either Anderson or Fletcher, because I do not feel Ireland can do the job the two United players do for United. I also do not think either United player would be able to do what Ireland has done for City.

Ireland has had defensive minded players beside him this season, which has allowed him to be as good as he has been. this is not a slight on him, it is a fact of football tactics - Ireland is a great AM and should not be overly burdened with defensive responsibilities. He can and does do defensive work, but it is not the priority of his game and nor should it be. Players like Kompany playing in midfield have helped him be the player he can be.

At United, Fletcher and Anderson have been those more defensive minded players.

i'm not going to re-hash the points i've made.

but ireland has been more impressive than anderson overall, for whatever reasons, end of. you can't judge them side by side in terms of what they do for the team since they do different things, of course not, but you can certainly say who has been more impressive recently for the team.

and i'm sorry, that has to be ireland, and fairly confortably i'm afraid.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course not, but even the worst CENTRAL midfielders are expected to hit the target every so often. It kinda comes with the territory.

It does, but not scoring doesn't make you a poor player. As a striker it would, but not as a midfielder, not when you can contribute highly in other ways as Anderson has done many times since coming back from injury. It wasn't a goalscoring performance from him against Porto or Arsenal in the CL, but his tireless running, harrassing and working were massive in those games and he put in fantastic performances in those games as a result. He did exactly what we needed him to do in those games.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm not going to re-hash the points i've made.

but ireland has been more impressive than anderson overall, for whatever reasons, end of. you can't judge them side by side in terms of what they do for the team since they do different things, of course not, but you can certainly say who has been more impressive recently for the team.

and i'm sorry, that has to be ireland, and fairly confortably i'm afraid.

Yeah - Ireland has been more impressive, especially as Anderson has had a comparitively poor season. However, this does not make Anderson a "poor mans Ireland", principally because they are different freaking players fulfilling different roles.

If Ireland signed for United, Anderson would not be dropped for him, they would more likely play together as part of a very well balanced midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Headshot wrote: »
    but Ireland has done nothing for city this season

how is it you say "lolz" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jazzy wrote: »
    how is it you say "lolz" ?

:rolleyes:

the bitter one shows hes head,shouldve known you be waiting for that for ages

i was being harsh on Ireland,but doesnt take away that they've gone backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Comparing Ireland with Anderson is like comparing Edwin Van Der Sar with Wayne Rooney. They are both completely different players required to do different roles. Ireland has a far greater eye for goal and is very creative while Anderson has a fantastic work-ethic and physical presence.

Surely anyone into football with half a brain should be able to tell that they are not the same type of players, and hence comparing them like they are is idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Lol @ this thread

You sir are talking through your hoop, though not as much as this next man -

Xavi6, I am a city fan and would be very upset to lose Stephen Ireland, especially to Utd. I don't think he would go there but all the same the very thought of it makes me nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daysha wrote: »
    Comparing Ireland with Anderson is like comparing Edwin Van Der Sar with Wayne Rooney.

i know what you're saying, and i agree, you can't really compare them.

but it's not that ridiculous.

they are both midfield players. there are certain attributes you can compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'll accept they're different players with different responsibilities but honestly, Ireland has shown he's been one of the best players in the PL in his position this season. Anderson can't come near that accolade. whilst you can't compare Vidic and Ngog on the pitch, you know who's better.

• Advertisement

the bitter one shows hes head,shouldve known you be waiting for that for ages

yeah! been waiting in the shadows eating lemons. take that evil doer!

ireland would be perfect for utd and i reckon fergie would definately put a fire up his a$s. never going to happen tho.
    are people really trying to say that anderson is a better player then ireland? really?

oh wait, forgot what shirt anderson wears. he cant be anything other then "a brilliant prospect who hasnt realised his potential" or "a legend in the making". as far as i can see he is an alright player with a lot to learn. not too sure on how good he can become though, i wouldnt be surprised to see him 'not make it' (as in not take over from scholes).
    hes good mates with ronaldo tho yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ireland is a far far far better player than anderson every day of the week imo anderson is one on the most over rated players in the league

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Ireland is a far far far better player than anderson every day of the week imo anderson is one on the most over rated players in the league

i'm a pool fan, and while utd fans certainly overrate him imo, he is a terrific prospect still.

he's been excellent in enough games to suggest this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

he might be a good prospect and turn out world class one day but atm utd fans think he walks on water at times and seriously over rate him. He is not even in the top 10 cm's in the league yet.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    he might be a good prospect and turn out world class one day but atm utd fans think he walks on water at times and seriously over rate him. He is not even in the top 10 cm's in the league yet.

this, i couldn't agree with more.

and i think this clouds everyone's judgment of him. he's not as sh*t as many make out, but he ain't half as good yet as amny utd fans suggest he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

i know what you're saying, and i agree, you can't really compare them.

but it's not that ridiculous.

they are both midfield players. there are certain attributes you can compare.

Well of course you can, but it's no good. There's absolutely no point comparing Ireland's 14 or so goals to Anderson's zero unless they play in the same way. If Ireland played as deep as Ando, or Ando was allowed to push further up the field, then I'd like to see how they compare.

But until that happens, they're just two very good, yet different, players that both have their pro's and con's.

if hargreaves was fit this season we couldve seen ando push forward a bit more until that happens you cant compare Ireland and ando

Ireland is a brilliant talent but atm lampard is better imo

Ireland is a brilliant talent but atm lampard is better imo

em, wats frank got to do with this? of course hes better. all those awards hes won and hes come very high in the world player of the year awards. 2nd once i think?

i think michael carrick would have something to say about anderson taking his place. depends how/who you play tho. hargreaves would probably take fletchers spot but i think the scotsman has been extremely impressive this year. not too sure how he would take to playing 2nd fiddle again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

After Anderson got himself match fit this season he put in some very good performances. Before that he was poor in a few games and I was considering whether he deserves his place in the team. He seems to play worse when given freedom to get forward, he kind of plays like a headless chicken and rushes his passing. However, when he plays as a disciplined CM who gets forward on occasion he seems to be a lot more relaxed and takes his time more and can pick out a pass with the best of them as well as nullify nearly any CM in the league. He has hit a few good shots contrary to belief and I believe that if he scores one (maybe tomorrow :D ) his confidence will rise in front of goal and he will improve greatly. Overall, I'm apprehensive about him but he does have a huge amount of potential and I believe that he will fulfill it. Also he is a very likeable player, always smiling.

Ireland has been a revelation this season and I would class him up there with the Lampards of this league. He has been relatively better than Anderson obviously but I still think Anderson should be happy with his contribution in the closing stages of the season.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    em, wats frank got to do with this? of course hes better. all those awards hes won and hes come very high in the world player of the year awards. 2nd once i think?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60411026&postcount=99

some people think he's been better than lamp this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Fraking rubbish Xavi.

Anderson is a better player defensively than Ireland is, and has a higher work rate

Rubbish tbh. Ireland gets stuck in and tracks back all the time, tremendous work rate.

Also, this transfer would never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Would love to see Ireland at United. As for the whole not wanting to play for his country thing, maybe Fergie could kick some sense into him

roryc wrote: »
    Would love to see Ireland at United. As for the whole not wanting to play for his country thing, maybe Fergie could kick some sense into him

No he wont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

You's can have Tevez if we get Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I couldn't see it happening. Plus he's thriving in that team at the moment, he may want to wait at least another season to see how things pan out. If City can keep Hughes and let him build a good side, Ireland will be central.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

5 I believe.
    Just the 2.

"The club haven't really made an offer yet. If they make one great - if not, I've got two years left."

Anderson is a combative player. A hassler. Ireland certainly isn't, as much as he can track back and tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this thread is awesome :D

Ireland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anderson.

Like, a thousand times better. Barely comparable.

Basically, Ireland is a very good player, who if he continues could be great.

And Anderson is ****e, and very worryingly imo, doesn't seem to have improved in 2 years-in fact, the total opposite, he has dis-improved a great deal.

Anderson is the most over rated player in the premier league, by a country mile.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    And Anderson is ****e, and very worryingly imo, doesn't seem to have improved in 2 years-in fact, the total opposite, he has dis-improved a great deal.

Anderson is the most over rated player in the premier league, by a country mile.

im not worried at all Mr Alan,the games iv seen ando has been very good,get better and better imo

Alan if you knew the players history you would know ando broke his leg playing for porto and barely recovered when he transfered to utd, and his first season in a new country/league was very good

this season has been hampered by injuries but some games he's played in like the CL semi was brilliant

edit:why are you even worried about ando?

and one thing I do agree on is
    Barely comparable.
    because ando plays a differnt role to ireland,so fair play you got 1 thing right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

this thread is awesome :D

Ireland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anderson.

Like, a thousand times better. Barely comparable.

Basically, Ireland is a very good player, who if he continues could be great.

HAHA that's the most ridiculous thing I've seen you post.

If he has done anything in the last 2 years it's improve.

I agree that Ireland is better than Anderson. Going forward and scoring anyway.

Anderson was at his best in England for his first 3 months in his first season.

Since then, with one or two exceptions, he has been poor.

• Advertisement

1 or 2 exceptions your kidding right

100% serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Those "one or two exceptions2 you are counting have been recent and consistent so how does that mean he isn't improving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Ireland would be an interesting signing for united, who do seem to be lacking an attacking playmaker in their ranks (though due to such strength in other positions, they clearly aren't suffering from it). The Anderson/Ireland side-issue here is a bit unfair to Anderson, who should probably be judged on Steven Ireland's form two years ago seeing as he is two years younger. How would Ireland have fared in the K/O stages of the Champion's league two years ago?

100% serious.

I was afraid that you were serious, starting to get worried for you Alan

if you honestly think that,im not going to bother changing your mind

god sake mods! dont let mr alan and headshot argue! you know that will cause a great cataclysm as matter hits anti-matter... or harry hits lloyd. this could cause a cosmic event horizon and end the universe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Stephen Ireland has already proved quite conclusively that he couldn't even handle the pressure playing for Ireland. He would fall apart at a club like Man Utd. It;s a shame because he is a decent player but he just doesn't have the personality to handle that pressure.

I would be amazed if Alex Ferguson was even remotely interested in signing him. Grannygate and his continuing ridiculous comments about playing for Ireland strongly suggest that he doesn't have the bottle to play for Ireland, let alone one of the biggest clubs in the world.

this was a decent debate once upon a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

this was a decent debate once upon a time.
    Agreed, enjoyed reading. That post above yours doesn't even deserve a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Why would he move?

Sure, he's playing for the biggest club in Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

eagle eye wrote: »
    Agreed, enjoyed reading. That post above yours doesn't even deserve a reply.

Well humour me then.... what exactly about my post doesn't deserve a reply?

woooo232 wrote: »
    Well humour me then.... what exactly about my post doesn't deserve a reply?

the post above u doesnt deserve a replay. obvious flame-baiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think Ireland would be a great addition to any club and definatly would not be out of place in any of the big four in the PL.
    Dont think he will leave city though

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

So you disagree that Carrick replaced Keane at United?

You disagree that Beckham replaced Kanchelskis at United.

You think you replace world class players with players the exact same as them every time.

You think Anderson will never score a goal.

You think Scholes puts in as much defensive work as Anderson

You think Scholes puts in as much workrate as Anderson

Amazingly, you disagree that I would like to have Irelands goalscoring at United - seriously, how freaking presumptuous to say what I would like.

You think Anderson has had a good season and has been poor since his return from injury.

Wow - how stupid.

I think you are the one being stupid here, taking what I meant totally out of context. I never said I disagreed with the first two points above...you mentioned those within the same sentence as referring to Fergie's replacement of Scholes with Anderson, which is what I disagreed with. I also never said that you replace a world class player with another world class player....but considering the price SAF paid for him...well I suspect he thought he was doing just that.

I'm not quite sure if Anderson will ever score....hasn't happened yet in 2 seasons. I assumme he probably will but you never know.

Ok, maybe Anderson does put in more defensive work, but as regards overall workrate, well Yes I feel Scholes definately holds his own in this department.

Amazingly I actually didn't disagree that you would like Ireland at United, to be honest I didn't have a clue what you meant when you said, and I quote, "At 'it' is something I would love to see at United."

To clarify...I don't think Anderson has had a good season.

SWAR wrote: »
    I think you are the one being stupid here, taking what I meant totally out of context. I never said I disagreed with the first two points above...you mentioned those within the same sentence as referring to Fergie's replacement of Scholes with Anderson, which is what I disagreed with. I also never said that you replace a world class player with another world class player....but considering the price SAF paid for him...well I suspect he thought he was doing just that.

I'm not quite sure if Anderson will ever score....hasn't happened yet in 2 seasons. I assumme he probably will but you never know.

Ok, maybe Anderson does put in more defensive work, but as regards overall workrate, well Yes I feel Scholes definately holds his own in this department.

Amazingly I actually didn't disagree that you would like Ireland at United, to be honest I didn't have a clue what you meant when you said, and I quote, "At 'it' is something I would love to see at United."

To clarify...I don't think Anderson has had a good season.
    Everything i stated in that post, is what you had bolded, and you clarified within the post I was quoting that you disagreed with everything in bold. So, taking that you disagreed with EVERYTHING in bold as you said, the statements above are all what you 'agree' with.

I said Carrick replaced Keane - you had that in bold.

I said you don't replace world class players with people who are the same - you had that in bold.

Every statement I have made is backed up by you disagreeing with my original comment, as indicated by you having it in bold.

If you weren't disagreeing with all that, why bold all that, and then explain that bolding it means you disagree. Maybe in future you could actually do what you say you are doing, rather than call me stupid later for taking you at your word. Maybe taking you at your word is stupid. Are you an untrustworthy fellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Everything i stated in that post, is what you had bolded, and you clarified within the post I was quoting that you disagreed with everything in bold. So, taking that you disagreed with EVERYTHING in bold as you said, the statements above are all what you 'agree' with.

I said Carrick replaced Keane - you had that in bold.

I said you don't replace world class players with people who are the same - you had that in bold.

Every statement I have made is backed up by you disagreeing with my original comment, as indicated by you having it in bold.

If you weren't disagreeing with all that, why bold all that, and then explain that bolding it means you disagree. Maybe in future you could actually do what you say you are doing, rather than call me stupid later for taking you at your word. Maybe taking you at your word is stupid. Are you an untrustworthy fellow?

Look, this is way off the point the OP made but anyway....as I said your reference to Carrick was to support your opinion on Anderson...I disagreed with it being a similar comparison not the actually fact that Carrick replaced Keane or whatever you were getting at...let's just agree to disagree about Anderson v Ireland etc...

SWAR wrote: »
    Look, this is way off the point the OP made but anyway....as I said your reference to Carrick was to support your opinion on Anderson...I disagreed with it being a similar comparison not the actually fact that Carrick replaced Keane or whatever you were getting at...let's just agree to disagree about Anderson v Ireland etc...

And I don't agree with the Anderson v Ireland thing, and have made that clear in this thread. Anderson v Ireland is a stupid argument because they are completely different players asked to do different roles. Making a thread about Ireland joining United, which won't happen, a pissing contest between Ireland and Anderson is stupid, and i'm not sure why it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Don't think its a remote possibility, either from the players side or from Ferguson. Latest update and quite a good article on his contract situation at City and his plans for the future.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1117599_stevie_still_fits_the_bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thank Mr. Alan for his comments. It makes it all the more likely (in the karmic world) that Anderson will win the game with a hattrick tonight :P

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I thank Mr. Alan for his comments. It makes it all the more likely (in the karmic world) that Anderson will win the game with a hattrick tonight :P

or

........get hauled off at half time after looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights & completely out of his depth ;)

Advertisement