Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old vouchers

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I was going through some of my stuff and found a bunch of Roches Stores vouchers to the value of 150 euro. I know Roche's are gone now, and I would assume these vouchers are no longer worth the paper they're printed on, but I thought I should check before recycling them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

corblimey wrote: »
    So I was going through some of my stuff and found a bunch of Roches Stores vouchers to the value of 150 euro. I know Roche's are gone now, and I would assume these vouchers are no longer worth the paper they're printed on, but I thought I should check before recycling them.
    You could ring Debenhams (they bought out Roches I think) and ask if they'll honour them? I'd say unlikely but it's worth a shote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

As far as I remember when Debenhams took over Roches Stores there was a grace period of a few months to use up Roches vouchers.
    But you've nothing to lose by asking Debenhams or maybe write to their head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The roches vouchers were accepted until sept 2007 afaik.

love to know if they honor them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Why is the thinking that they won't honour them? They appear to have wholly acquired the retail business, and as such should be 100% liable for the debt (to my mind anyway). Unless, of course, the vouchers have expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Oh, it seems that they can acquire the business without acquiring the liabilities. Surely it would follow that somebody would have had to retained the liability in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zab wrote: »
    Why is the thinking that they won't honour them? They appear to have wholly acquired the retail business, and as such should be 100% liable for the debt (to my mind anyway). Unless, of course, the vouchers have expired.

First of all most vouchers have a 12 month period or atleast have some sort of T&C's, second off the take over was heavily advertised so consumers should have used up vouchers during the grace period.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Interesting one.

I don't think vouchers are a liability from my time in retail, they actually treated them as stock which could be exchanged.

There's no straight answer, I suspect they don't have to take them back at all, but they might if you are nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Zab wrote: »
    Oh, it seems that they can acquire the business without acquiring the liabilities. Surely it would follow that somebody would have had to retained the liability in that case?
    Depends on how the take over is done; look at GM for example. What you will have will be two companies GM (new) and GM (old). GM (new) will "buy" the healthy parts of GM (old) and leave all debt etc. in GM (old). Now once GM (old) goes bankrupt all liabilites are written off and that's the start of the decade of lawsuits to crawl through courts over how much (if anything) should be paid this way or that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

Debenhams will not accept these vouchers under any circumstance the period of acceptance has long gone! In the eyes of Debenhams Roches no longer exist. Sorry they are not just useless bits of paper.I used to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Cabaal wrote: »
    First of all most vouchers have a 12 month period or atleast have some sort of T&C's, second off the take over was heavily advertised so consumers should have used up vouchers during the grace period.

I am not trying to be smart but your post is irrelevent because the OP has discovered Roches vouchers now that he would like to try and use. I'm guessing he was unaware or had forgotten about them during the advertising. I can only assume there is no (obvious) expiry on them either or they wouldn't have bothered to post.

OP, you need to talk to their customer service. This happened to me also but it was about 18months ago IIRC. Debenhams did honour them however and it was for a sum greater than yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

SDooM wrote: »
    I don't think vouchers are a liability from my time in retail, they actually treated them as stock which could be exchanged.

I thought in accounting terms they would be treated as a liability because the shop "owes" the customer stock?

The paper vouchers didn't have a date on them and Roches were very lax on taking them anyway.

But up to early 2008 (last time I saw somebody try spend them) when I worked in the building they would not under any circumstances take them so I'd love to see how you get on.

Which store is your local?

I was always under the impression that the vouchers were stock, sold to the customer and accepted for exchange too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I am not trying to be smart but your post is irrelevent because the OP has discovered Roches vouchers now that he would like to try and use. I'm guessing he was unaware or had forgotten about them during the advertising. I can only assume there is no (obvious) expiry on them either or they wouldn't have bothered to post.

If a voucher has a expiry date it doesn't matter if you've lost them, if that dated passes then its nothing to do with the store in question and is 100% your fault and your loss.

No consumer law in this country will protect you in such a situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Here's details of the roches stores holding company - if there's no expiry date, then you are technically a creditor and may be able to make a claim. - Worth a 55c stamp anyway!:)

CARRIGMAY (IRELAND)
    5TH FLOOR, ENTERPRISE HOUSE
    FRASCATI ROAD
    BLACKROCK
    CO DUBLIN

They are no longer a retail company but a property co, they have no liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    They are no longer a retail company but a property co, they have no liability.

This would make no difference whatsoever as the company is still trading. If there is no expiry date, then they should have a value somewhere. - There may even be a contingency fund in their accounts for uinclaimed vouchers.

As I said, its worth a 55c stamp to see.

Advertisement