Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM on Dell M1710 XPS

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my 2GB ram to 4GB or preferably more if its possible. What would I need to do this and would I need to get a windows 64bit OS? I have a bit of a clue what I am at, but need some guidance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mus3

You need something like this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347332. Might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but what you need are two 2GB 240pin DIMM sticks of RAM. Pretty sure your laptop only supports 4GB, so that's the max you can go.
    If you want to be able to use the full 4GB, you will need to move to a 64 bit OS. If you stick with 32 bit, the max you'll have available is ~3.2GB...

Overall, it's an easy upgrade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Vista 32 bit can use the full 4GB according to crucial's website.

I ordered some ram from them today. You just fill in the model details for your laptop and it will provide you with the model of ram to buy from them and the price in euros and they ship from the UK. Priced worked out the same as Komplett for me.

Can pay with Paypal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

thebman wrote: »
    Vista 32 bit can use the full 4GB according to crucial's website.

I ordered some ram from them today. You just fill in the model details for your laptop and it will provide you with the model of ram to buy from them and the price in euros and they ship from the UK. Priced worked out the same as Komplett for me.

Can pay with Paypal too.

Vista 32bit can see the full 4GB.With SP1 installed.
    However it still cannot access the full 4GB. You will only see about 3GB.
    This is a limitation of 32bit OS and it also affects XP/W2K3/OSX etc. Not just Vista.
    But to be honest 3gb's is grand on this.
    I stuck with Vista 32bit on mine due to the fact that ik8fangui works on it perfectly. It doesn't work under Vista 64bit without a lot of hacking and it';s just not worth the hassle.

Advertisement