Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've lost it...

• 25-05-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

has this ever happened to anyone?

as some of you might know, i'm wrapping up my final year in college on thursday. being so busy trying to juggle everything was terrible and unfortunately the photography got the cut.

since december i have only been out with the camera twice, once in March and again last Saturday for about an hour.

i picked up the camera and it felt weird, it was like a sort of i don't belong doing this, i know that sounds strange but anywhere i went i just couldn't get a decent shot. i also forgot settings, had to fumble around with menus and etc. also took me three shots to notice i had my macro lens on and was in manual focus for a landscape shot.

i suppose what i'm looking for out of this thread is has this ever happened to amateurs like myself or is it all just in my head?

i fly away to chicago for 4 months on wednesday week, the camera will accompany me along with all my gear and hopefully i'll get back into the swing of things. here's hoping there's a load of things to snap in the windy city otherwise my 450D will become a glorified P&S for drunken antics :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think I'm the opposite... I can't wait to put down my camera...

So so tired. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh that's the other side of the coin.

i love photography, from framing a moment, to the dodgey looks you get off people because you may be hunched down and pointing your lens in a completely ridiculous angle.

i have made some money off it and whilst i enjoyed doing these jobs i want to keep it purely secondary as i have a huge fear that if it was my "9am-5pm" that i'd grow completely frustrated with it and my whole gear would end up like your 135mm f/2.0 did over the weekend al :(

i guess i'm still trying to find my happy-medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think I'm the opposite... I can't wait to put down my camera...

So so tired. :)

I'm the same as this,Although it could be the same crap over and over again,I just have to shoot something,Can't wait till i move to london and can get anywhere around there by the tube and stuff,My nearest bus stop here is a mile so my camera rarely ventures off on day trips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've not taken any of 'my own' photographs in nearly a month now, it's all been either work, for my degree show, or actually spending all day putting my show together. And I've another wedding on Friday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

That is the worst Fajitas, doing stuff for other people. It really does burn you out and get you down about spending so much time shooting and PPing when you've no interest really. I get burnt out alot and then take it easy and go on photo benders again. It's definitely cyclical.
    Once you get to Chicago OP you'll get back in the swing of things for sure. Don't worry about it. Let it happen. The first few days or week you'll be unsure of what you want to shoot or how to shoot it (I know thats how I was when I first got to Japan) but then you'll see things, get a feel for the city and know how you'll want to shoot. You'll spot things and want to come back to them etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

has this ever happened to anyone?

as some of you might know, i'm wrapping up my final year in college on thursday. being so busy trying to juggle everything was terrible and unfortunately the photography got the cut.

since december i have only been out with the camera twice, once in March and again last Saturday for about an hour.

I'm pretty much the same as this at the moment, I've been out hardly at all this year, I'm just hoping after I'm finished the leaving I'll get back into, as I felt I was just starting to improve when I just got to busy with school, study and work.

Now whenever I take any photos, I'm just not happy with them. I plan to get out as much as possible during the summer, get the train to places I haven't been, drive to different places. I think that's one of my main problems, i haven't had the chance to go anywhere new in so long, I'm getting bored with the stuff as I've already taken hundreds of shots of it already, I need to start exploring more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

This happens to me at least once a month and I've only been really getting into photography since January! :rolleyes:

I bring the camera everywhere with me but there's just some days where I can't seem to take pictures of anything. Went for a 3 hour walk in Tomnafinnoge Wood near Tinahely on Sunday with the camera, beautiful day, with loads of oppertunities for taking nice pics but if I used the camera 3 times while I was there I was doing well.

Advertisement