Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice Please

Options
  • 25-05-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone can help me Please, I need to find out how to go about getting the following things done in my Mother's house.
    1. Ramp for wheelchair
    2. Downstairs Loo
    3. Stairlift

My Mother has been diagnosed with disease and has lost the use of her legs, for the past year she has been using a commode and been carried up and down the stairs, my family got onto the County Clinic in Crumlin but that was a year ago and nothing further has happened, another member of my family was looking after things but seemed to hit a brick wall and with a stubborn carer who seems to believe they can manage and not need help, we were getting nowhere fast, but it is now at the stage that my Mother is having many accidents because of not been able to get around and she is house bound because her house is up 4 steps and no one can get her wheelchair out. I wonder if anyone can help me with links to sites that could advise me or email address where I can contact people who can help us. I am stepping in now and getting this done because my Mother needs this help.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

pm'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dee112

hi i'm the parent of a disabled boy and maybe you contact the wheelchair assoc,your local occupational therapist or even ring or ask at the central remedial clinic in clontarf probably wont be able to do anything for you but may point you in the right direction,i know exactly what you're going through and its terrible in this day and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mary19

Thank you both for your replies and for the PM's I know my sister who originally was looking after the situation spoke with a good few people in the hospital when Mam was last admitted for an accident she had, there was a few people that called to the house I think from the clinic in Crumlin but never came back or followed up after meeting with my parents, it got to the stage that they (my parents) were just telling their story over and over and no one was helping, her GP was unhelpful and refused to sign any documents because he said he did not diagnose her disease. It was these things along with some other stuff that put a tremendous strain on the family and everything halted because no one wanted the stress of it all. When my sister asked about independent builders she got no replies, she was told a list would be sent, it never was, she chased it up and up but got no joy. At this stage a year since her diagnosis and no follow up it's difficult to know where to start. My sister tried to speak to her GP but he refused and kept saying it was pointless her talking to him because he could not discuss anything at all with her, he just prescribes her tablets which I do wonder sometimes if they are the right ones for her disease, they won't change doctor they like him and trust him and I was hoping to take this over but it looks like I will need both parents on board 100% and I don't know how to get to get in to doctors and get the info needed. I am so clueless on all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You can apply for a grant to assist in the conversion of your house from your local council.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/building-or-altering-a-home/adapting-a-home-for-an-older-or-disabled-person

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/housing-grants-and-schemes/housing_adaptation_grant_for_people_with_disability

When we did it it wasn't means tested, but that doesn't appear to be the case now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mary19

Thanks for those links, it's all getting difficult again, I made a few phone calls and got some names of people that have dealt with her disease as I was told I would need a report from them and not one is been helpful. Her GP won't even speak to me so I thought about doing up a letter and explaining it to him, he'll have to read a letter ? alot of departments won't speak with me and only my father who is convinced they are 'Fine' it's just getting the ball rolling again. I'm going to send out a few emails today and see where I can get this going from. thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

You need to get your parents to change GP urgently. This is easily done - I had to do it myself. Also connect with patient advocacy groups, and groupls like CIL, who promote independent living. That your family GP should refuse to speak with you is outrageous, unless forbidden to do so by your folks? They may well hate having so many people decide things on their behalf- I know I was furious when my family surprised me by doing a makeover of my flat without conultation whilst I was in hospital.They chucked out a lot of things, some accidentally, important to me.
    So do check that you are not becoming over-anxious,over-wrought and over-intrusive.

When it comes to dealing with the State it is maddening to have to keep giving the same info over and over in a digital age but that is just how is. So just keep a smile in your voice, make friends and allies of the switchboard operators and ask for their help. Perseverance is key; also get your local politicians on the case.
    A signed and witnessed letter from your parents authorising you to act for them should help.
    For suppliers of ramps etc contact me by private message as I have loads of research on this. No, I don't work for any suppliers..I'm just a crip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We were in a similar situation a couple of years ago.
    My dad was in a wheelchair, he needed a ramp to get into the house and a shower room.
    We phoned and spoke to everyone we could, it was like talking to the wall. My mum ended up having to get a loan and get the work done herself.

Advertisement