Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep the ball rolling?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I stopped smoking on new years after 13 years of it, not hard at all. I dont miss anything about it, i havnt noticed any changed in how i feel.. the only difference is that im not smoking. I didnt quit, i simply didnt smoke untill i wanted one.. i just never wanted one so i didnt smoke.

I work from home on a computer and (previously)with ashtrey and mug to the left of my keyboard i would always have a ciggie there lit for smoking. I wasnt even bothered opening a window. Id get up, have breakfast, make tea, start work, work, and at 1 i walk to the shops, get my 20 for the day and have a smoke thinking about what needs to be done on the way back. Then smoke and drink tea at my machine while working.

Now, im not finding it hard to quit. I am however finding it hard to find a good substitute. I can eat for Ireland. I don't fill up and i don't put on weight. Im spending every penny i have on sweets. When that crap runs out, i eat what i can find around the kitchen.. when that's gone, i sit thinking about what i can have to eat. Im worried im going to develop diabetes or something.

Previously, the not smoking thing didnt bother me, im in month 5 (very nearly 6) and im thinking of starting smoking again to stop myself eating crap all the time. I could even say that its putting me on a downer eating so much. I have no cravings for it, and i mean that.. but the thought has entered my mind a couple of times in the last week as a means to stop myself eating so much.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Buy a load of fruit, punnets and punnets of grapes and stuff. If you are going to eat lots at least let it be healthy.

Any local clubs (sports or otherwise) you can join, just to fill a gap in your evenings for a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Don't go back on the smokes to stop eating the crap! Is far far worse crap you are inhaling than eating. Armani is right - buy grapes and nuts and other relatively healthy stuff to eat and just snack away. You will probably put on some weight but is still better than going back. Honest. Speaking from bitter experience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Grapes.
    Water.
    Orange Juice.
    If you are just looking for something else to do with your time instead of stopping for a smoke.
    Plants. Any interest?
    I have lots of pots of herbs outside my door that need to be taken care of. Great for cooking.
    Cooking you say? Why not learn to?
    Bake some bread or summit.
    That's always ways to fill your time. ;)

Advertisement