Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone help?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

me and my friend want to go to college as mature students, but we didnt apply to the cao and now applications are closed. They closed on the day i lost my job as it happens. There isnt much chance of me being able to get a job the way things are goin right now so i wanna go back to college and make use of my new found free time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There will be college places available in August through Vacant Places in the CAO. Any course which has not been filled will offer its vacant places on a first come, first served basis. You will have to have the subject requirements if you are applying on the basis of a Leaving Cert but this doesn't apply to mature students. Life/ work experience will be taken into account.

The downside is that the range of courses on offer is small and there is nothing like the choice open to you if you were applying in Feb or 1st May.

If you have no previous qualifications at FETAC level 5, you could look at doing a plc programme in preparation for third level education. The website www.qualifax.ie has info on a huge range of PLC courses across the country. Alternatively an Access programme from one of the colleges or IT's is a good way to get a foot in the door if you have a clear idea of what you want to study at third level. For example UCD offers Access programmes in Commerce, Science & Engineering and Arts & Humanities: http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/access/index.html Application forms will be available in June.

Good luck.

Advertisement