Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DOHC Vs. SOHC

• 25-05-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I know both are versions of the VTEC and i know what both stand for and i know that one is designed for economy and one for speed. Problem is I cant remember which is which:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

www.google.com

have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

DOHC for speed. SOHC for a running engine. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DOHC = double overhead cam, so you have shift over into VTEC for the power as compared to SOHC, single overhead cam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

draffodx wrote: »
    DOHC = double overhead cam, so you have shift over into VTEC for the power as compared to SOHC, single overhead cam

You what switch what?

DOHC is Double overhead cam. Meaning exhaust valves and inlet valves have there own cams for better control of timing meaning better efficiency.

SOHC is the older design where a single cam controls all the valves. This gives cruder control over timing.

Vtech is nothing more than a more aggressive Cam profile designed to let the engine run more efficiency at higher revs while at lower revs using a milder cam to avoid a lazy engine with poor idle and economy.

SOHC is just an older system and was not built at the time to be a sports performer and is aimed more at efficiency.

A DOHC vtech system is significantly better for performance but the hype around what is variable valve timing confuses things allot. VTEC does not make a car a rocket ship but it does feel and sound dramatic.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

vtec.jpg?t=1243363700

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

@OP
    DOCH is around 160bhp and SOCH is around 130bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

@OP
    DOCH is around 160bhp and SOCH is around 130bhp.

theres many different versions of both variations all rated differently, my DOHC VTEC is rated at 187bhp (190ps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They're not "versions of VTEC".

On a 16-valve 4-cyl engine-

SOHC has a single cam shaft. The camshaft opens and closes all 16 valves, 8 intake and 8 exchast, as it rotates. (Combined with VTEC it's actually more a work of art than DOHC). There is only one reason SOHC exists: one camshaft is cheaper than two.

DOHC has one cam to open and close the 8 intake valves, and another to open an close the 8 exhaust valves. More cams = less of a compromise and valves can be controlled more precisely.

For the last reason, DOHC VTEC engines tend to be more powerful and SOHC VTEC engines, per cubic capacity. They also look better :)

Advertisement