Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland/Nigeria

• 25-05-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Why have the genious's at Setanta decided to show this on Sport1 and not Setanta Ireland??? are they expecting a waive of new subscriptions for a Friday night friendly at Craven Cottage :rolleyes:...crafty isn't the word

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Setanta don't make sense to me. They were showing the England World Cup qualifiers on Setanta Ireland......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

irish_flag.jpg

C'mon Ireland!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Nigeria will win this, huge odds on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dogpile wrote: »
    Why have the genious's at Setanta decided to show this on Sport1 and not Setanta Ireland??? are they expecting a waive of new subscriptions for a Friday night friendly at Craven Cottage :rolleyes:...crafty isn't the word
    Friendly or not it's Ireland and the thought of not watching an Ireland game...it's unthinkable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Friendly or not it's Ireland and the thought of not watching an Ireland game...it's unthinkable. :)

So why aren't they showing it for the masses??(not to mention the big Nigerian contingent in Ireland) ..after all they showed Liverpool every other week of the season on free to air cable for the scores of plastic scousers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

THIS IS ON SETANTA!!!!!?????

It would certainly appear so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Nigeria to win in a yawnfest

So why aren't they showing it for the masses??(not to mention the big Nigerian contingent in Ireland) ..after all they showed Liverpool every other week of the season on free to air cable for the scores of plastic scousers
    As you said they want to get a few more people subscribing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was at the Nigeria v Ireland match at Charlton Athletics ground, the valley when Brian Kerr was manager .Nigeria won 3-0 .

Nigerians were up for that match more than the Irish who had played a world cup qualifier the previous week .

Still have me match programme :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

makes sense to me, you pay for Ireland games in Ireland and pay to watch England if in England. Setanta Ireland is used as an incentive to buy their package, if they show Ireland matches for free a lot of people would stick with Setanta Ireland and not subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Will RTE have highlights?
    Maybe us LOI heads will get to see it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This is what Pubs were invented for. Head into a local, if you're feeling cheap get a miwadi, sit and watch the game. Maybe even go with friends ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

are they expecting a waive of new subscriptions for a Friday night friendly at Craven Cottage :rolleyes:

You can roll eyes all you want. It is is obvious that you want to see this game and I am sure there are lots more in the same boat. Some of those may opt to subscribe.

Or a few streams. If you're privileged and own a HDMI cable and a HD TV then it's just like watching it on "real" tv. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You can roll eyes all you want. It is is obvious that you want to see this game and I am sure there are lots more in the same boat. Some of those may opt to subscribe.

Yeah but if it is raining that day you might not get a picture.

Cheaper and less hassle to go to Fulham for it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I've got a good feeling about this game. Ireland to win in a nice open game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

prendy wrote: »
    makes sense to me, you pay for Ireland games in Ireland and pay to watch England if in England. Setanta Ireland is used as an incentive to buy their package, if they show Ireland matches for free a lot of people would stick with Setanta Ireland and not subscribe.

I could see you're point if they hadn't have shown the vast majority of games (Sat/Mon) on Setanta Ireland this season (which they did) ....the FA youth cup final is on free to air cable tonight, we all want to see that don't we boys and girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That_Guy wrote: »
    Or a few streams. If you're privileged and own a HDMI cable and a HD TV then it's just like watching it on "real" tv. :)
    where do you get HD quality streams? Must be a nice line you are on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do any other countries schedule international friendlies that clash with their domestic leagues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah but if it is raining that day you might not get a picture.

Cheaper and less hassle to go to Fulham for it. :D

Allign your dish properly. I don't lose signal when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

CiaranC wrote: »
    Do any other countries schedule international friendlies that clash with their domestic leagues?
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the FAI take no heed of their domestic leagues.
    Look at any other country in our position (where there are no domestic players in the national team) and they don't do it either. Two I can think of in Europe are Iceland and Hungary. Neither schedule matches that clash with their leagues. Do they want us to not follow the national team and an Irish club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ofcourse they do!:rolleyes:

Personnally I can't see it affecting attendences much in the LoI, as most people would be Shels, Shams, Bohs fans before they're Ireland fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah it's nice to have the Man Utd vs Liverpool Threads broken up by the odd Real vs Fake football fans thread :p

FAI are a disaster though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its the first time its happened I think (henced I've bolded your plural), its not a regular occurence anyway.

And its a fairly unique set of circumstances - no home ground available, Saturday in London not available (FA cup final day), Sunday too late with the Bulgaria game soon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Trapattoni ready for Nigeria test

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is sure Nigeria will provide tough opposition in their friendly at Craven Cottage on Friday.

The Italian is hoping for a meaningful test before the World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria on 6 June.

Trapattoni told BBC London 94.9: "It's a very difficult game and a good test for some new players.

"I want to see Sean St Ledger playing against a strong team like Nigeria and Liam Lawrence can enrich our squad."

Preston duo Eddie Nolan and St Ledger are in line to make their debuts, while Stoke midfielder Lawrence is expected to start after impressing in the Potters' Premier League survival campaign.

The 27-year-old Retford-born player is hoping to cement his place on the right-hand side of the Republic's midfield.

He said: "If I do get that chance it's up to me to take it. One thing I do is work hard and do my best every week no matter what game it is and I think the fans appreciate that even if you're having a bad game."

With Reading striker Kevin Doyle ruled out with a calf strain and Hull's Caleb Folan suffering from a knee injury, Coventry's Leon Best looks set to partner Robbie Keane in attack. He is more than grateful for the opportunity.

The Nottingham-born former Southampton striker said: "I feel as if it's a blessing. I think my season's been up and down but to get a call up for the full international team is great. I'm just delighted to be here.

"It's a massive learning curve and I think if I do get thrown in then all the players will help me. It's a lot different but it's still football.

"Hopefully I can do everything the manager wants me to do and I can see the certain resemblance between me and Caleb."

One of Trapattoni's biggest tasks might be lifting the spirits of some members of his squad who have ended their club seasons on a sour note by failing to make play-off finals or, in Damien Duff's case, scoring an own goal that confirmed his side's [Newcastle] relegation.

The legendary manager had some simple advice for the player when he arrived for training.

He said: "He was not happy but I spoke with him and told him he has to score a goal in the other half."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8071055.stm

Wonder if St Ledger will be starting the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Heading to the game meself..

Its basically going to be a bunch of us and then a bunch of people from Brixton Nigeria having a great big pissup and watching terrible football.

2-0 to Nigeria I reckon. Tijani Babangida and Daniel Amokachi with the goals.
    Don't think Ireland will trouble Peter Rufai much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

Its basically going to be a bunch of us and then a bunch of people from Brixton Nigeria having a great big pissup and watching terrible football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrsXscyoztU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I4IIq1pV2Y

legend...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I heart Nigeria. They were my team for World Cup jumpers for goalposts, and ever since thaycaptivated the world in '94

Come on the super-eagles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Heading over tomorrow morning, but back in time for the big one on Saturday ... Kildare County v Athlone Town :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

Daniel Amokachi :eek: Is he still playing? He must be 45 FFS!

5 debuts in the one game and 3 of those in defense. Wouldn't expect that from Trap. :) Makes it a very interesting match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Heard he wasn't playing so he fecked off. Great commitment there.

What keeper do you think he'll call up now for the Bulgaria game?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/Sport/eykfcwqlaumh/rss2/

where do you get HD quality streams? Must be a nice line you are on too.

Look don't tell anybody but if you wanna find HD streams you just gotta lamp your internet out of it. If you're good to it, it'll be good for you.

Sure it may be wrong but you can't beat Duff's wrinkly forehead highly defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

PCros wrote: »
    Heard he wasn't playing so he fecked off. Great commitment there.

What keeper do you think he'll call up now for the Bulgaria game?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/Sport/eykfcwqlaumh/rss2/

Meh there much need for him to hang around..Prob just annoyed some youngster is playing ahead of him...Ah well no real loss

• Advertisement

Any streams for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Any streams for this?

RTÉ website is streaming it (worldwide), I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Soby wrote: »
    Meh there much need for him to hang around..Prob just annoyed some youngster is playing ahead of him...Ah well no real loss

Shay Given is playing

Tom65 wrote: »
    RTÉ website is streaming it (worldwide), I think.
    I think Setanta are showing it, no?

Yes ,it's on here on Setanta .

Reminds me of going to see this fixture down in London with my young son and he said ''dad, how we gonna get to charlton athletics ground '' ? and I replied '' easy son ,we just follow the tricolour crowd on the tube '' and we did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

yeah it's on Setanta Sports 1

rte.ie will just have a page showing the latest score (actually aertel!)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/aertel/233_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Starting X1

Given

Foley St. Ledger Dunne Nolan

Lawrence Miller Andrews Duff

Best Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Degenerate gamblers get to watch for free thanks to betfair.

http://livevideo.betfair.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

anyone have any video streams? betfair doesnt seem to be showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Sorry i haven't but my expierence of live stream is mostly play -freeze-play freeze- play- freeze :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Here ya go...

www.justin.tv/adambasord

It'll be on for 8 after the UFC fight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Cheers for the links lads. Hopefully St Ledger does well tonight. We've got feck all backup for Dunne and O'Shea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

WTF is Given at. Could get himself injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I really don't think Given needed to play this one. Kiely should have been given the nod and the previous issue would have been avoided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement