Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serious Insurance Rip Off

• 25-05-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

This is a classic

I rang Quinn Direct this morning for a quote on a car, 1.8 petrol, 99 reg valued at 3000, no modifications, right hand drive, just a standard car. The policy i wanted was for a fully licensed driver(20 yrs) with 8 yrs no claim bonus or points. Also on the policy were two named drivers, one being a woman, 47 with 3 years no claims, no points and a full license(3 yrs) and the second was male 28, provisional licence, no claims or points. The quote they gave me was 1,200+ fully comp!!!!!!!!!!

I previously had a 2litre turbo charged car insured with Quinn. It was the same policy as above with the same drivers and it was only 600 odd

I decided to do some serious shopping and i got a quote for 723Then i shopped around for the crack to get a quote for the provisional driver only and that was only 832!!!!!!!!!!!! These quotes included windscreen cover and no claims protection the Quinn one didn't.

Now i know we call it rip off Ireland but WTF are Quinn playing at? I'm going to ring them back tomorrow and basically say...well WTF are you playing at?

Here are the details for the new quote
    Allianz, €723.19

* This premium is valid for 30 days
    * This Premium Breakdown document should not be issued to Clients
    * FULL BONUS PROTECION: In a 3 year period you may incur, 2 UNLIMITED 3rd Party OR accidental damage without impacting your no claims bonus.
    * If you incur more than 2 claims, the no claims discount will be step backed by 3 years.
    * Allianz Breakdown Assistance includes: Roadside and Driveway Assistance, Journey Continuation in Ireland up to a value of EUR150, Journey Continuation in the UK up to a value of œ100 (STG)
    * Allianz Motor Accident, Fire and Theft Emergency Service
    * Personal accident benefits up to the value of EUR12,700
    * Personal effects and clothing benefits up to the value of EUR200
    * Driving of other cars for proposers aged over 25 years
    * Replacement locks up to the value of EUR750 if the car keys are stolen
    * Fire Brigade charges up to the value of EUR500
    * Windscreen Cover - No Excess or Limit
    * Step back protection for the no claims discount
    * If the alteration to the policy results in an additional premium due to us, or a refund due to the insured, we only charge or refund such premium provided this amount is greater than or equal to EUR25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

super-rush wrote: »
    Now i know we call it rip off Ireland but WTF are Quinn playing at? 5

Car insurance business is all about having a balanced portfolio.

They obviously have too many people of your category in the portfolio, so have upped the prices.

They want you to either;
    (a) Go elsewhere
    (b) Pay the ridiculous premium

Lesson; shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

And I can give you an example where Quinn was €600 cheaper than allianz for a commercial vehicle. 2007 Jeep value €20k Allianz €1100 approx, Quinn €523.

As 3datamodem says - it all depends on the risk a company sees.

The main problem is a provisional driver driving a 1.8l car - basically they read it as a totally unqualified driver looking to drive a vehicle that is far too paowerful for someone without experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is a classic

The policy i wanted was for a fully licensed driver(20 yrs) with 8 yrs no claim bonus or points.

How can a 20 year old have 8 years no claims bonus ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

How can a 20 year old have 8 years no claims bonus ???
    You misread my post or maybe i could have put it better what i was saying was the person held the license for 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

I think he means hes had his license 20 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

darc wrote: »
    And I can give you an example where Quinn was €600 cheaper than allianz for a commercial vehicle. 2007 Jeep value €20k Allianz €1100 approx, Quinn €523.

As 3datamodem says - it all depends on the risk a company sees.

The main problem is a provisional driver driving a 1.8l car - basically they read it as a totally unqualified driver looking to drive a vehicle that is far too paowerful for someone without experience

But the previous policy was on a 2litre turbo car with the same drivers and it was just over 600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I think half the time the companys just pull numbers out of the air. When I first started driving there was 3000 differance between the cheapest and dearest quotes. It was the same last year there was a differance of 800 between what I got and who I used to be with. Nearly time to start ringing around again to see what it will be this time. The moral of the story always shop around for the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

But the previous policy was on a 2litre turbo car with the same drivers and it was just over 600

So why is the driver still on a provisional license??? - Maybe quinn have guesssed taht the provisional driver will be the main driver of the car and as they have either neglected to take a driving test or have failed a driving test, then quinn direct see it as a greater risk.

Driving test wait times are less than 6 weeks so there is NO excuse for 2 years driving as a provisional driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The insurance hikes have been done to death this year. Most drivers I know have seen a premium increase of 20-30% to renew their policy this year. In addition to that a lot of the insurers have probably considerably re-based their risk categories for the first time in years meaning that drivers suddenly get quotes based on entirely different risk loading. For every driver that claims to have been 'ripped off' by a particular insurer there'll be another who'll be very satisfied with the quote.

I do think that overall the Irish insurance market represents poor value but I don't think that there's anything particularly special about that quote worth singling it out. Every time I quote car insurance I get a difference of 70%+ between the best and worst quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Ok here is good one for you....

recently I received the annual premium quote from Quinn -

I've been charged 33 euro for a change of address. I changed the address between 2 houses in the same area, 5 min walk from each other. Both have driveway parking so no change to circumstances etc. Is this a joke?

My car was listed as having a value of 10k. So I asked that that be corrected to 2k (02 Opel Astra:rolleyes:). Then asked would this reduce my premium. NO was the answer - huh??

Oh and asked about adding an additional driver to my policy (over 25, full clean drivers licence), will this reduce the premium? Eh - no:confused: Eventhough a quote I got from Chartis (AIG) says it will reduce this by 40 euro

Can anyone share some knowledge on this? Am I being made a fool of here or what? :mad:

Thx!

• Advertisement
Advertisement