Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC New build for Novice for video editing

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I know every second thread on this is asking the same as what I am going to ask but I am looking to build a pc.

Main things i need computer for is,
    1) Editing Video
    2) Creating music
    3) Editing photos
    4) Connect wirlessly to internet

I have not got a clue as to what parts I need, if anyone can suggest it would be great. Appreciate if you could suggest all parts required, even though you may think it would be silly for someone not to know they need some particular part I have not got clue what required.

Will get it built on hardwareversand.de, so do not need to build myself.

Just need a computer that will run video and music very fast

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mus3

First of all you need a budget! And what will that include? A monitor, keyboard, mice, speakers, etc?
    If your budget is aroundish the €1,000 mark, any of the i7 builds on the forums would be great.
    I'm pretty sure that video editing software only use GPUs very sparingly for certain things (could be wrong though), so if you aren't playing games, you can get a nice low-end one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

thanks Mus3, have all the peripherals so just need the actual computer itself. budget approx Eur 1000.

Did yo build your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK video editing can go either way. It can use the CPU or GPU for rendering depending on the software.

I'll guess that you'll be using XP, 32 or gonna go 64? 32 will limit you to 3.24gb of Ram, it should be high speed either way. High grade software tends towards dual screen systems, so dual gfx might be something to consider.

Photos, Photoshop CS3 is really light, the better the system the better the speeds but it idles at 140mb I find. Opening new documents is really the only point where a difference will be noticed.

Soundwise, get something with ASIO "Ultra-Low Latency" drivers. That'll give you really high sample rates. Musical "instruments" in sound generation software can be really heavy on the GPU too. Some MIDI devices use firewire, and so do camcorders, so thats a must.

With 1k you'll get a pretty good unit. 10k rpm 1Tb HDD is a must for a video editing pc by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gavin Cotter

Intel Core i7-920 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366 €240,54

MSI X58 Pro, Intel X58, ATX, DDR3, LGA1366 €163,70

6GB-KIT G-Skill DDR3 PC1333, CL 7 €83,75

Total = €487,99

I would base my system off of the above.
    Since your working on video editing - a raid array is something you should look into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

A second monitor is also recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 colwood

Wait for intel core i5 cpu if you are going to build. ETA September. The i5 is basicaliy on par with the i7 but it only uses 2 channels of memory instead of three for core i7. Therefore ram, motherboard and cpu will be far cheaper than any rig built around core i7. Plus if you wait the few months there will be sata III, usb 3, Direct X 11 graphics cards and windows 7 you would be mad not to wait a few months. And core i5 will be faster than i7 920 due to higher turbo mode.

Advertisement