Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did talk radio take the Republican party hostage?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

For the board - is talk radio splitting up the Republican party?

I feel they cant win with this crap.

Personally I feel when Michael Steele and Colin Powell have to shut up when get into a debate with Rush Limbaugh, they are driving moderates away. I dont know why the party needs to appeal to Rushs listeners - they would vote for a republican if they ran a yellow dog for office, they are never going to vote for the Democrats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My hypothesis is that it's because everyone else (except Dick Cheney!) has stopped talking to voters, leaving Limbaugh etc. to set the agenda. You have Dick Cheney saying that he'd choose Limbaugh to lead the party over Colin Powell, which has put the cat amongst the chickens, according to CNN.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

They need a single leader, a focal point to rally the troops.
    Steele could be that man, but in his role he's more an administrator than statesman.

I would have liked to see John McCain become senate minority leader.
    A moderate who despite losing in November has high exposure and popularity and can help set a broader GOP agenda for the next 18 months before the mid terms.

Its a shame the most vocal republicans these days seem to be Limbaugh & glen Beck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

thebang wrote: »
    When did talk radio take the Republican party hostage?

When it played to the lowest common denominator, it was inevitable that the experts at that game would take a bigger role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

For the board - is talk radio splitting up the Republican party?

I feel they cant win with this crap.

Personally I feel when Michael Steele and Colin Powell have to shut up when get into a debate with Rush Limbaugh, they are driving moderates away. I dont know why the party needs to appeal to Rushs listeners - they would vote for a republican if they ran a yellow dog for office, they are never going to vote for the Democrats.

I thought it was the Neo-cons were the one are splitting the Republican party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thebang

but why does Ronald Reagan define the Republican party to these peopl? all any leader gets get is 'why cannt you be more like him?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Rush and Co. are preaching to the choir and that choir is getting smaller and smaller by the day.

Long may it last if thats the future of the GOP.

They need men like Powell and Ron Paul to lead them not idiots like Rush and Hannity.
    To he honest it is their own fault. They started out with a strategy to have a strong right wing base with their social values and then reach out to the centre only when they wanted. Traditionally parties started from the centre and worked their way back. The GOP have lost the centre and it will take many a year for them to get it back. Thank you Karl Rove!:pac:

Meanwhile the Dems continue to run the country....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

but why does Ronald Reagan define the Republican party to these peopl? all any leader gets get is 'why cannt you be more like him?

Because he was and is immensely popular. They reckon anyone who could do the same act would be fairly certain to get in.

Advertisement