Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blight

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am worried about potato blight, but I really amn't willing to use any chemicals, not difene or copper sulphate or anything. Has to be organic.

I also planted late, and my potatoes have only just broken ground.
    I'm growing in pots of organic multi purpose compost straight from the bag and watering with tap water. Nearby pots contain strawberries, carrots, and broccoli raab.

Are there any manual methods I can try? If not I think I'll just risk it and maybe plant a resistant variety next year...if I can find organic ones.

Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

I use copper sulphate as it is considered acceptable in Organic Gardening
    (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0717152327856.html)
    but I mix it fresh from the blue crystals and then I add the lime.
    If you buy it made up I think it is less effective.
    As for manual methods ,well the first plants won't get the blight to any degree as you will pick them before the blight raelly takes hold.
    For the main crop I try to plant a few separate areas so that they don't all succumb at the same time ,
    Once they do get the disease I immediately remove the haulms and they will be OK in the ground for a while after that with no further growth (or you can dig them and store them I suppose)
    Also don't grow them next to tomatoes I think as they get the same disease.
    I think Cara is a fairly resistant variety but it may be too late to get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

sarpo axona are blight resistant
    Sarpo Axona - late maincrop

I tried Cara last year they got late blight but only on the stalks. had a lot of trouble with slug damage to the tubers. I also found the salks a lot taller that other potatos.

I found cara a soapy potato and not much flavour. it was edible when mashed with butter and a little milk, but still not great.

I am hoping for better results this year.
    This year I an growing British Queens and Sarpo Axona both are flowery potatos.

I am also using nemaslug to stop the slugs and growing in a different part of the garden.

Potato blight, how to treat Phytophthora infestans.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1313.html

Advertisement