Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O Brien on RTE's Q&A

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Pedro K wrote: »
    He was mayor of Clonmel some time back.
    I can't remember exactly when though.
    1993 http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0527/1224247503289.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have been listening to Joe Duffy for the last hour and I feel sick. I thought I had read and listened to the worst of the stories of abuse of kids over the last week but there are some stories on todays show that are absolutely horiffic.

One poor chap said that after he confronted a brother who had been abusing him and told him that he wasnt going to let him touch him again he was held down by the brother and 2 others and attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Now that the heat is being turned up in getting the savage perpetrators prosecuted in Ireland, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is now an increase in the numbers of 'christian' brothers being sent abroad to the missions, where of course they can carry on their perverted ways uninterrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Or was it to do with the way the church had so much power here.

They unquestionably had far too much power here. And unfortunately they still do. Not as much maybe, but their influence is still far greater than it deserves to be.

thebman wrote: »
    They know very well they are in charge.

This is a handy excuse for them to wash their hands of it that people seem to buy and the media refuses to pull them on it for some reason.

Overall what it comes down to is they are spineless.

Not just spineless, they're downright complicit. Bertie the slieveen should be publicly hung for the things he's done to this country, with his shameful indemnity deal just another example of what a slithering little worm he is. Our government allowed the catholic church to do whatever they liked in this country for a long long time, and even today they still bow to them to an extent.

juuge wrote: »
    Now that the heat is being turned up in getting the savage perpetrators prosecuted in Ireland, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is now an increase in the numbers of 'christian' brothers being sent abroad to the missions, where of course they can carry on their perverted ways uninterrupted.

Pretty soon there won't be any Christian Brothers left in this country. On Prime Time the other night they said the average age of the brothers still left is 68, with very few if any recruits. So in 10-15 years they'll be as good as finished. And good riddance.

I wouldn't bet on there being too many arrests or prosecutions though. The government, as is their tactic these days, will hide behing a wall of convenient legal excuses, because deep down they're still scared to offend the big bad RC church.

These religious orders should be forced to pay up even if it bankrupts them. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

So did anyone actually stage a walkout protest, or was that just talk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 justplaindan

This can not be emphasized enough.. and Christine Buckley keeps reminding us.. It was all about the money.. The slave labour endured by Christine and all those thousands of others generated huge sums of money for the congregations.. This money does not belong to those thugs.. it should be shared among the surviving 'slaves'.. As a first step the congregations' assets should be frozen by the CAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheLiamMurphy

This man is so brave
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBi4sYK5rjI

TheLiamMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 justplaindan

Religion and churches are a concept for good.
    It is there to see for all.. for what they were meant to be..
    Far better to target the guilty congregations..
    Find the money.
    Confiscate it.. and share it among the slave
    labourers who generated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andrew49

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine yesterday about this.

He was saying how brave etc. this man was, and how he stood up to the government, and that he was another nail in Cowan's coffin etc.
    I pointed out that he was actually a Fianna Failer.
    He goes "**** him then, he deserved it" and walked off.

Just thought I'd share that depressing story.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well a number of people have speculated as to whether he still votes FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andrew49

Mr. O.J. Flanagan: There is one other point to which I should like to make reference. I am prompted to refer to it by Deputy O'Leary's speech this afternoon. He gave notice to all concerned that he intends shortly to raise the question of the care, management and general code of behaviour in reformatory schools and such places. Deputy O'Leary said he was not at all too pleased or satisfied with the manner in which the inmates of these schools are treated. I do not know what he has in mind or what schools he has in mind, but before Deputy O'Leary proceeds to develop this matter further, I have certain things to say. I am sure we shall hear more about it when he raises the matter but I want to assure this House, the Minister and Deputy O'Leary that if he has in mind the reformatory in Daingean, County Offaly, it is managed, controlled and conducted by the Oblate Fathers. I can safely say that it is one of the finest and one of the best-managed institutions in this State today.

Mr. Crowley:
    Hear, hear.

Mr. O.J. Flanagan:
    From my experience of over 20 years, I know that [1734] the work the Oblate Fathers carry out for those placed under their care and charge in Daingean is of the highest value. Many of those discharged from that institution have written back very gratifying letters to the Oblate Fathers expressing their thanks. Many of them, also, when leaving the institution, express their sorrow at having to leave and many of them express their heartfelt thanks for the special care and attention, the medical care and the medical attention, and the manner in which the Oblate Fathers took them unto themselves as if they were members of their own family, and particularly for the high standard of educational and sporting facilities which are all there for them in Daingean.

If Deputy O'Leary has any doubts in relation to that matter, I have no hesitation in saying that the Superior in Saint Conleth's, Daingean, would welcome a visit by him and would bring him around the institution to let him see the fine, airy conditions and the very high standard of education and training which prevail there. On such a visit, Deputy O'Leary would have an opportunity of observing the noble efforts of the Superior and of his Fathers and Brothers who work so strenuously and so earnestly in the interest of those who are placed under their care.

Many children have been sent to that institution. They can be described as juvenile delinquents or as children who were allowed a free hand without any control by their parents. They were not too long in Daingean until they were moulded into a new way of life. The priests of Daingean took complete charge of the development of their character. There are now amongst us today many fine, honourable citizens who would not be such a credit to their country were it not for the generous care, help and attention they received from the Oblate Fathers in their school in Daingean.

I am sure Deputy O'Leary's fears in relation to reformatories are unfounded so far as St. Conleth's, Daingean, is concerned. I am sure it is not one of those institutions which he has under observation. I can allay all [1735] his fears in that regard as I am quite satisfied that he need have no fear or worry in that respect. I shall discuss the matter with the Deputy some time —he is not in the House at present— so as to allay his fears and lest he might have false illusions about the general conduct and administration of that fine school which is a credit to this country, to the county in which it is located, to the Oblate Fathers and to everybody concerned. I have nothing but the highest of praise for it. Certainly, I know intimately everybody connected with it and they deserve nothing but the sincere gratitude, appreciation and thanks of every section of our people.

Mr. Coughlan: The Deputy might join up.

Mr. O.J. Flanagan: Unless I could be a lay helper. I would gladly volunteer for that at any time. I have no doubt the Deputy would volunteer with me.

Mr. Coughlan: I would, but I would prefer to go to the one in Limerick.

Oliver J and wanted to help out in Daingean

Dáil Éireann - Volume 220 - 16 February, 1966
    Committee on Finance. - Vote 28—Office of the Minister for Education (Resumed).

Advertisement