Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal candidates

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Are there any liberal candidates in your regions? They're probably independent candidates as there's no liberal party in Ireland (only conservatives or/and church puppet parties).

I know about Harkin Marian from the North-West region only. She is already a MEP and ALDE member. How about the others? Is there really no other choice among the Liberals in Ireland? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Are there any liberal candidates in your regions? They're probably independent candidates as there's no liberal party in Ireland (only conservatives or/and church puppet parties).

I know about Harkin Marian from the North-West region only. She is already a MEP and ALDE member. How about the others? Is there really no other choice among the Liberals in Ireland? :(

The ALDE (Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe) is a Group in the European Parliament. It consists of two parties - the ELDR (European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party) - (Free-Market) Liberals - and the smaller EDP (European Democratic Party) which is regarded as centrist and pro-EU.

Marian Harkin is a member of the EDP and, hence, sits with the ALDE in the EP. She is not a member of the ELDR.

FF has decided to join the ELDR recently and will leave its old UEN group at the end of the current Parliamentary session. So, if anything, you are spoiled for choice when looking for Liberals for the election.

Mind you, I am still trying to get my head around the idea of FF as Free-Market Liberals :)

Advertisement