Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tree?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all,

Decided to buy my nephew a tree for his confirmation. Very little knowledge of green things, maybe yall can help.

1. Any thoughts on what type of tree to go with? His name is linked to oak which is great, but I'm guessing they're slow movers... Like the idea of an apple tree too.

2. Any recommendations for where to buy in Dublin? Based in Rialto & have transport. Would like to go somewhere that has a decent selection and some staff who know what they're talking about.

Bit more info, he lives in a rural area so it'll most likely be planted in the back garden or whatever. I'd imagine the soil is decent.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Might be a nice idea to get him an heirloom Irish apple. Irish Seed Savers sell young heirloom apple trees (although wrong time of year to be planting a tree tbh - might be better to do your research now and then get it for him in late Autumn).

That is a brilliant idea. How thoughtful.

If he is anyway interested in Hurling, how about an Ash tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 queenie1

Try a red oak great autumnal colour and sticks with the oak theme....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ash tree (above) underrated tree in my opin. native/quick grower and looks good and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Nolberto

Cheers for the replies everyone!

Love the ash tree idea. He's a great hurler as it happens, just got on the county team last week so I think this would be a great link.

Yeah, I read that autumn/winter is a better time to plant. Here's the deal though: it kinda needs to be a "here's the tree, let's plant it now" thing... I realise that research now, plant later would be better but would it still be okay to plant now? Would it just mean a slow start for the tree or am I condemning it to an unhappy treelife? :(

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Tell him he can grow his own Hurleys :)
    There is a lot of history regarding the Mighty Ash.

There is a great site called gardenplansireland.ie which has a load of info regarding native trees.

not an expert. but i think if you buy a potted tree, then you can plant anytime as the roots won't be that disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Nolberto wrote: »
    Yeah, I read that autumn/winter is a better time to plant. Here's the deal though: it kinda needs to be a "here's the tree, let's plant it now" thing... I realise that research now, plant later would be better but would it still be okay to plant now? Would it just mean a slow start for the tree or am I condemning it to an unhappy treelife? :(Thanks again.

As mentioned above you can plant a pot-grown tree at any time of the year, but you'll have to make sure it's kept staked and very well watered for the first year until it has established - whereas bare-root trees planted in winter generally need less looking after.

As mentioned above you can plant a pot-grown tree at any time of the year, but you'll have to make sure it's kept staked and very well watered for the first year until it has established - whereas bare-root trees planted in winter generally need less looking after.
    Okay, so stake it & plenty of watering for the first 6 months then. Nice one.

Been on goldenpages looking for garden centres near D8. Loads of options.... anyone wanna recommend a good spot to buy? I'll ring around and check that they sell ash trees before I go driving out anyway.

chances are the ash trees will only be small skinny slips of lads. maybe 3-4 ft tall. mightnt look like much but grow nicely and fairly quickly. just the initial 'wow' factor is unlikely to be there !

ps copper beech - look nice too- probably you will get better specimens of these in garden centres ie a decent present. grow reasonably well. but really decent looking tree - needs room - so keep away from near house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

I think the Ash is a great idea if he lives in the country and they've plenty space. If their garden is small (remember the tree will be huge in 10 15 yrs time) you could try Mountain Ash (Rowan), holly, Robinia, or silver birch. Just make sure it is sure to thrive where it is to be planted.

Hi all,

Change of plan, going with an oak after all.

Couldn't find any ash yesterday when I went looking. Got in touch with these guys (http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/), based in Co Clare, really helpful, have a good range of oaks in stock, good sustainable ethos. Gonna pick it up Friday morning.

Nephew's name is Darra which means Old Oak, so it's win win really! On the space issue, they have a proper back garden and live on a farm so I'll make sure to leave enough room for a good 300 years of growth. :)

Advertisement