Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makes Me Sick

Options
  • 26-05-2009 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is really the right place for this but anyway here it goes.

I'm currently in the NCBI from Monday to Thursday and the trainee's in there get a cheque for around €100 every month just to go there.

Anyway one of the trainees there who makes his own way in and out of the centre every day was maliciously beaten last Thursday and his phone, wallet (including his cheque) was stolen and he was left in an awful state.

The cheque has the NCBI logo on it and underneath says "Working For People With Sight Loss".
    The cheque was cancelled immediately but I hope when these thugs see the logo on the cheque that they're proud of themselves for beating a helpless visually impaired person all for the sake of a measly €100.

Makes me sick to my stomach that we live in a society that people think it's morally ok to go out and beat a visually impaired person.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

the poor fella

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've still not seen him this week yet. I'm really feeling for him. He must be scared out of his wits to even leave his house which is terrible because he's been working so hard to be independent.

Absolutely depressed.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED!!!!

Good news about this.

The Gardaí managed to arrest whoever did it and charges will be made against them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is really the right place for this but anyway here it goes.

I'm currently in the NCBI from Monday to Thursday and the trainee's in there get a cheque for around €100 every month just to go there.

Anyway one of the trainees there who makes his own way in and out of the centre every day was maliciously beaten last Thursday and his phone, wallet (including his cheque) was stolen and he was left in an awful state.

The cheque has the NCBI logo on it and underneath says "Working For People With Sight Loss".
    The cheque was cancelled immediately but I hope when these thugs see the logo on the cheque that they're proud of themselves for beating a helpless visually impaired person all for the sake of a measly €100.

Makes me sick to my stomach that we live in a society that people think it's morally ok to go out and beat a visually impaired person.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I believe it is morally wrong to go out and beat anybody. Just because they may have some disability does not make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

partyatmygaff

I believe it is morally wrong to go out and beat anybody. Just because they may have some disability does not make a difference.

I think people will agree with you that any assault is wrong. However you have to consider the consequences on the attacked.
    I have been beaten up walking through a park. I pretty much shrugged it off and learned a lesson to avoid parks at night. If i had been 80 years old I may have been more seriously injured or decided I could not run the risk of going out again. In a similar way a visually impaired person might not be able to protect themselves from an attacker as well and may be more likely to suffer severe problems regaining confidence. It must be hard enough wandering Dublin with poor vision to now also have to worry about assault makes it more difficult.

Basically I believe some sort of allowance for how defenseless a victim of an assault is is warranted.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the fact that he's a long cane user and it's quite visibly clear that he is visually impaired.

I don't condone people beating up anyone at all but the fact that these thugs could see that he's a long cane user is horrible and they still went about beating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maybebabie

Hi That Guy,

I volunteered in NCBI last November/December and I am gutted to read your post because its likely I may have known the man that was mugged. I'm totally appalled and I hope he'll be okay eventually. Delighted that justice will be served.

Advertisement