Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I am renovating a farmhouse in Cork at the moment. The roof is up and insulation is going in soon. I was at the house at the weekend and there seem to be at least two birds nesting there.

One is a house-martin or a swift (I'm not great on identifying birds) which has a nest in the rafters. The other is like a small blackbird (without the yellow beak) which looks like it has a nest behind the faciaboard (it flew in with worms in its beak).

I have builders on site who will need to work on those areas shortly - what will I do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Anyone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Probably swallow and starling, if the starling is feeding then it shouldnt be too long before they fledge, can really only wait it out, maybe two weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Sounds like starling all right but female blackbird is brown, with dark beak.

Swallow has pale below, navy above, long streaming tail feathers, red on head, can be chattery.

Swift looks all dark, long stiff 'scythe-like' wings. Screams. When young take off they are known to keep flying until they nest themselves...maybe 2 years later.

Both nest on ledges.

House martin usually dark/navy with bright white above rump. Usually nests in mud cup stuck to wall, under an eave.

A bit of googling and you may discover how long before they fledge...starlings about 3 weeks if I remember correctly but sounds like the young ones already hatched so wouldn't have to wait so long (some of my locals have left the nest).

Don't think there's any quick fix - Birdwatch Ireland & local ranger may be worth a shout if no joy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

OK, thanks for that. It sounds like I just need to wiat a couple of weeks so I'll tell the builders to work on something else in the meantime. It'll only throw the schedule off by a fortnight or so.

How can I prevent more birds nesting there over the next few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Can i just say that it's great to see you take this attitude to nature. I wish everyone was so considerate. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Wonderful kindness; thank you! Warms the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Fair play.

To prevent others? To be honest most are probably breeding by now, but some summer visitors not arrived/nesting just yet. I expect they won't settle if there is human activity, so even activity of builders on the site will help. If other birds start hanging around, just approach them and they'll probably get the message. Note that several species have 2 (or even 3) broods in a summer, so I'd say after a few days of inactivity double check the nest is empty then get cracking. I believe none of them need the nest once they are out and about.

If it is a swift nest just bear in mind that if weather is rubbish over Ireland they may travel hundred+ miles for feeding and might not get back to chicks for a day or two. The young knock themselves out/deep sleep to conserve energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Fair play.

To prevent others? To be honest most are probably breeding by now, but some summer visitors not arrived/nesting just yet. I expect they won't settle if there is human activity, so even activity of builders on the site will help. If other birds start hanging around, just approach them and they'll probably get the message. Note that several species have 2 (or even 3) broods in a summer, so I'd say after a few days of inactivity double check the nest is empty then get cracking. I believe none of them need the nest once they are out and about.

If it is a swift nest just bear in mind that if weather is rubbish over Ireland they may travel hundred+ miles for feeding and might not get back to chicks for a day or two. The young knock themselves out/deep sleep to conserve energy.

Oh No ooo
    Have same problem as thread starter- in attic rafters (I think) at my home house- I set up a studio last year which still use for storage - little bastards (sorry bird lovers) have left their mark on lots of my stuff I think they are starlings reckon there r about 3 nests.
    Was gonna ring someone to repair and seal up area but my Mam reckons they'll be gone in a bit and are harmless!Its like something from a hammer movie... mmm hammer theres a thought!*

Advertisement