Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Final in Athlone - best place to watch?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭

Where's a good spot in Athlone to watch the CL final? I was in Charlies last year and it was great but thats closed now. Anywhere else people would recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TOP GiMP

The Local, owner supports UDT so will be a good crowd and they have a big screen projector things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I admire the poster above for his comments, but as his username states he IS a top gimp

I think the Shack is the best of whats available. Also a big screen and doesnt have the tackiness that you get with most Church St/Dublingate St town centre bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where is the big screen in the shack? Do ya really want to watch the match in a pokey, full of corners bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Where is the big screen in the shack? Do ya really want to watch the match in a pokey, full of corners bar?

you don't have to sit in a corner. The big screen is a projector type that is located in on the left as you walk in the door to the main bar area. Pleasant crowd, the fire going and a few pints, happy days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The shack is dire for matches, no atmosphere at all.

When you go out to watch a match you want to have a bit of craic other wise your buy a few cans and watch it on RTE2 infront of the fire in your living room and save yourself about 30 quid.

The Local's regulars range from 18 - 60, are a nice bunch of lads and the owner, Beaumie, is the soundest bar man in the town.

I like the shack, every now and then on a tuesday night for a bit of music, but I'd never watch a match there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

The Olive gets a nice crowd for all sports and there is a bit o banter there aswell. No scrotes here... no way hose!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Green Olive?
    Wouldn't be the first place I'd have thought of...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Seaneh wrote: »
    The Green Olive?
    Wouldn't be the first place I'd have thought of...

Spurs fans met there for the cup final and had good craic I'm told.
    Wouldnt have thought The Shack would be describe as a football pub! Great drinking pub though :D

In town, The Local would probably have been my suggestion too. It'll be full of footy fans who are just there to booze and watch the match.

So, where did you go to watch the match in the end and what was the verdict?

I went to a friends house. 12 of us there. Food and booze. Night was great, but result was disappointing. best team won though

• Advertisement

So after after all those suggestions, praise and pooh pooh'ed ... you sat in!

Yep :D

none of the suggestions appealed to me. Not convinced of the shack for football related shenanigans, and none of the lads wanted to go to the local

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Sean Ogs.... Great craic

Advertisement