Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Pubs

Options
  • 26-05-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok The Roost has been mentioned already but I was just wondering what people's opinions were of the pubs in Maynooth. I have only been living in the town since September and am delighted with the quality of the pubs......

In my humble opinion.......

Bradys - My favourite pint and good food. Never been upstairs though.

The Roost - I have a love hate relationaship with this pub, can be great but can also be too dark.....Very good table service though (if you are feeling lazy).

O'Neils - Great food but not always a great pint (Guinness). Never been upstairs here either. The best beer garden there is in town (not saying much).

Caulfields - Great food and a great pint....bit too dark at the back though.

Glenroyal - Ok its a hotel bar but the food is pretty good. Never been to Fizz but I have heard plenty about it!

Leinster Arms (Coming Soon!) - Anybody have any update on this place??

Did I forget anywhere????

Also there is a serious need for a decent beer garden.

So what do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

O'Neills is the best for disco bars, upstairs on a Monday is great, best DJ in the town. The Roost I only find good on a Thursday if there's a decent cover band playing, good buzz about the place.

As a Guinness drinker I can't speak highly enough of Bradys and Caulfields and living pretty much beside both I frequent them the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublinrich

Yer the pint of Guinness is fantastic in those pubs.

Was in the Roost last night...caught completely unawares by the fact that it would be packed (due to end of exams I presume?). However made an old man (well in his 30's...so yes old) smile......many sights to be seen.

Must try O'Neills more......but again Maynooth really needs a decent beer garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There's the New Town Inn on the outskirts of town and I've never drank there.

Food was good though.

Mostly go to Roost but not my choice, just get dragged there. I prefer O'Neills and Brady's. Usually stay downstairs, only been upstairs with friends visiting town in Brady's and a friends band was playing in O'Neills.

I like Caulfields too but rarely go there. Last time I was there, it was to see a friends band. It used to be my bar of choice but they renovated it. It seemed like a typical old Irish bar before and there is something I don't like about it now.

Roost isn't great. Food is okay and the service by the girls is great but the bartenders aren't great IMO and you can get some crap pints there and the pub itself isn't very nice IMO. Just looks like they couldn't be arsed maintaining it properly and since its a student hang out they can get away with it.

Totally agree about the Roost. The table service is great but bartenders can be a little off.

Forgot about the Newtown Inn. I heard the food was good. Never liked the look of the place really but should try it as it is the closest one to us.

Anyone know when the LA is opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

LA is re opening on July 3 under the new name Mantra

http://www.mantrabar.ie/

Check out the gallery for an artists impression of the interior

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Excellent stuff, looks good.....bit different to LA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Holy crap those pics look amazing on the site. If it looks that good, it'll be the best spot in town over night.

I'd say it makes the old LA look like crap but ... welll ... you know!

Anyway I thought the reputation of the old place might effect this new bar/club but obviously not.

I was saying for ages Maynooth needs a place like that.

--edit--

Now all Maynooth needs is non-alcohol related amenities other than horse riding and golf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Maynooth does so badly need a new bar/club, something, different, innovative, cool and exciting, and this bar garden idea if the pictures are anything to go by, ticks all the boxes, and i'd imagine the door policy will keep the scum at bay

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

checked out the website, the club looks nice but kind of..OTT? the bar looks stunning though and some nice seating area.
    I think what makes a good club is how good the Door men are. If they let in any joe Blogg in and let too many in than its the same as any other club and not your money worth. I believe if you pay to enter a club than you shouldnt have drunken idiots allowed in, not have the place packed and have enough staff on so you are not waiting 30minutes to get a pint.

That's why I don't like going to Bradys. Bar staff are ignorant and wait for ages.

I hope this clubs service will be as good as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Hmm...that Mantra place does not look my cup of tea tbh. Each to their own I suppose. Wonder will anyone spot Ronaldo in the VIP area in a couple of weeks? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

the 'asian inspired' stuff looks terribly like a lift from the Kellys Complex in Portrush (main bar and the Wild nightclub). Which were fitted out in the early/mid 1990s!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

One wonders where the LA "clientele" do their boozing and rowing these days? The harbour perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Guinness is awful in the Roost. Their door staff have a serious attitude problem to locals when the students are around and I don't need to have someone handing me a paper towel in a toilet.

I wouldn't spend €0.01 in the place.

Guinness in Brady's is grand and staff are pretty decent imo. Don't really drink around anywhere else.

Was upstairs in O'Neill's once and they must have been turning the music up bit by bit. Had to leave.

Will be interesting to see what the new LA is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeyman

Got a tour of mantra on sat builders are sound, guys all i can say is WOW:Dits actually way over the top for Maynooth the smoking areas are unreal,and i blaggad an invite cant wait for the 3rd and Ziggy ur not coming:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Their door staff have a serious attitude problem to locals when the students are around

Never, ever experienced this. Have been able to queue hop 100+ students during rag week due to being a local, though.

Advertisement