Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence question

• 26-05-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm a 27 year old male looking to got into motorcycling.

I only want something for weekends, and want to start with low power.

I'm thinking of getting a yamaha virago 125.

What's confusing me is the licencing situtation. Will I need a separate motorbike licence for a 125cc bike?

I have my car licence for ten years, but I was under the impression that for bikes under 125cc you might not need a separate licence....

Please excuse my complete ignornace! :D

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Yes you need a cat A1 or cat A licence.

you might aswell go for cat A.

The way it works with older car licenses is you can drive a moped on them, not an actual bike.

You'll also need to a wear a learner hi-vis vest (by law- its a new law) but not many do as alot of guards either don't know or don't enforce this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks for the reply. Was just reading it on the citizens information webpage.

I don't mind wearing the vest at all. Just want to be safe and legally compliant.

Do you know if you have to do the theory test if you already have a full driving licence for ten years?

There was no theory test when I got my car licence.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I had the full bike licence for five years before applying for a provisional car licence three years ago - I had to sit the theory test to apply - so yes - you'll have to do the theory test. It's handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I had the full bike licence for five years before applying for a provisional car licence three years ago - I had to sit the theory test to apply - so yes - you'll have to do the theory test. It's handy enough.

I got away with that as my original theory test(that covers A,B,M) was still valid(just about) :P :D

Advertisement