Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NIB / National Irish Bank - Credit Card

• 26-05-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

I'm shopping around to change my credit card as both Halifax and Permanent TSB have increased their rates. I see that NIB offer a good rate but you need to take out a package which includes current account etc...

Anyone use this bank? Are there charges associated (apart from those standard in other banks)? Any feedback on what the bank is like to deal with?

Cheers,
    X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Used them until recently. Packages vary on what you expect to get out of them, really. A charge of €18.75 a quarter (for Easy Plus, for example) is a lot. For the negligible percent different in CC interest rates, it may not be as a good a deal as you might first think. Interest on deposits/current account balances etc isn't the best either.

On the positive side - staff were generally good, internet banking is probably one of the best on the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I think you'll find that the package is all marketing blurb and you will only be given what you need/want. They have to do this anyway to meet CPC regulations.

NIB are very hot on CPC and will want you to meet with a financial advisor to ensure you are being given the correct products.

(They also have a "Freebank" account btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Basically all I want is the credit card, thats all I am interested in since its a good rate. I just don't want to pay a fee for the priv of having one which will then counter any saving that I would make on the APR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

I have a NIB current account and once I stay in credit I dont pay any fees!!

I remember having a credit card at one stage but got rid because their online facilities were very poor but I am sure that has changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Xcellor wrote: »
    Basically all I want is the credit card, thats all I am interested in since its a good rate. I just don't want to pay a fee for the priv of having one which will then counter any saving that I would make on the APR.

Well this is the trade off - this is why they can offer a lower APR, because there is a charge for having the account. There are just as good, or similar cards with slim APR's (AIB Click or BOI clear) for example which would probably provide what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

branners69 wrote: »
    I have a NIB current account and once I stay in credit I dont pay any fees!!

I remember having a credit card at one stage but got rid because their online facilities were very poor but I am sure that has changed!

When they were taken over by danske bank all their computer systems were overhauled so they have one me the best online services now. Everything from text message alerts to share dealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

...all their computer systems were overhauled so they have one me the best online services now.

They have a very decent system now alright, only problem is you need to install a piece of software which aint too handy if you are in a web café or away foreign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I bank with National Irish Bank and find them very good. Not sure what account I have, but have a 'normal' account for everyday banking and also a credit card and have never paid any account keeping fees (or any fees whatsoever, except that €30 yearly credit card fee)

Staff in the branch are very good, but obviously this depends on the branch! I normally never have to wait to be served and it doesn't matter what time of day I go in.

It's interesting that people find the internet banking good by Irish standards. I have always found their internet banking clunky compared to the Australian internet banking i am used to. Hate to think what the other banks are like then! I do love the text messages when money is deposited into your account though!

Cheers,
    Mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

branners69 wrote: »
    They have a very decent system now alright, only problem is you need to install a piece of software which aint too handy if you are in a web café or away foreign!

They also have an "ActivCard" system (like a calculator) where you enter a once off 12 digit code for apple users / internet cafe. I have one, and its good especially on holidays etc.

Advertisement