Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneem Fishing

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anybody ever fished around this area. I will down around there the long weekend, it'll be with the girlfriend though so it won't be a fishing holiday by any means, but I'm thinking of throwing the telescopic rod I use for spinning into the boot. Is there any good free spots near there where I could throw a line in? I would be lucky if I got an hour free time (whipped I know!) so no point paying for a licence for a day.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi TT,

there is a fisheries board lake on the kenmare road that is well stocked with rainbow trout. I got my bag limit there in a few hours last week and released a few on the fly. Get the permit in the daybreak shop in sneem. Grand place to bring the kids too.

Also out the kenmare road there is a spot where you can get down to the rocks and theres good mackeral and pollock if spinning and plenty of other species on bait. Hard to describe where it is but its before the blackwater bridge, there is a car park next to a bit a forestry. will prob be other cars there so you should spot it.

Otherside of sneem is derrynane - beach fishing and rock fishing. Dont think there is a species that cant be caught there.

Finally, plenty of salmon to be had in the sneem river. I had a very memorable summer working in sneem as a student - working by day and fishing the river in the evenings and pinting at night. Bliss! Permits for that in a french owned shop next to the bridge in sneem village.

Hope this helps and give us a shout if you need anymore info!

tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Great stuff, thanks for all that just the info I was looking for.
    Hopefully I'll be able to slip away for a couple fo hours, I'll give the rock fishing a go if I can cause I don't normally get the chance to.

I normally use mepps blue n'silver on the river, would they be any use in the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Tinytony wrote: »
    I normally use mepps blue n'silver on the river, would they be any use in the sea?

Yeah should be fine although you will need a bit of distance and depth (the latter for the pollock anyway) so maybe bring a few weights as well. Or better still buy a few lures- nothing too expensive, just cheap, heavy and silver. Will keep you in mackeral for the day and theres plenty around there at the moment.

Enjoy:D

Advertisement