Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning Sickness

• 26-05-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

My girlfriend is 9 weeks pregnant and is suffering with some terrible morning (make that all day) sickness.
    She cannot even keep water down and has been like this for two days.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions from their pregnancy on what might help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi, I used to eat ginger biscuits first thing in the morning or she could try ginger sweets to suck on throughout the day. It really helped me with the queasy feeling in my stomach. If she can manage to eat anything she should eat little and often, just bland foods unfortunately.. Her sickness won't harm the baby it will just make mammy to be feel like crap :( Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi lobber

congrats on the pregnancy. i suffered with terrible morning sickness throughout my whole pregnancy. Generally though it seems to subside by week 14.
    Everyone advised ginger - so I think i over dosed on ginger biscuits/cake/ginger tea. I'm not sure if it helped and some days i just couldnt eat anything.
    Try some 7up - easier if you let it go flat. Or some other easy foods like toast. Also there are many pregnancy vitamins which your gf could take, ask at the pharmacy.

Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dc3500

hiya, congrats on the pregnancy. i had that all day "morning sickness" on my first, not even water stayin down...same as. only advice, dry toast, plain biscuits etc and lots of tlc!!! unfortunately there isn't anything tat will get rid of it, it will stop when it stops:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Hi there

I am 10 weeks pregnant and am suffering chronic morning sickness. I have tired so many things but sually end up with my head stuck down the toilet 3 or 4 times a day.

I love ginger but I am almost completly turned off that as I see it 10 minutes after eating.

I have found the following some of the onnly things that stay down,

Tuc Crackers - The salted ones in yellow packet (Eat Dry)
    Homemade brown bread toasted with a tablespoon of beans
    Dinner: Cheese Single on toast.
    Pop Corn
    Chocolate digestive
    Lucozade
    Flat 7up

I often find that even a forkful of something tasy like chinese noodles can really satisfy you. Make sure that the portions are kept very small as you will def see it again if you eat large portions.

I am really hoping hat mine will subside after 12 weeks but eeryone in my family had i full term.

I am of quite a slim build so I think my body may be feeling the changes inside (Strecthing / Growing) that bit more than others.

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw too though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My girlfriend was the same. I used to buy her big packets of haribo jellies, that was all she could eat for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

lobber wrote: »
    My girlfriend is 9 weeks pregnant and is suffering with some terrible morning (make that all day) sickness.
    She cannot even keep water down and has been like this for two days.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions from their pregnancy on what might help?

Lobber, my GF is the same. This is our third (14 weeks) and she was sick throughout for the other two as well. Even up to and including the delivery ward yet as soon as the little fecker was out, sickness was gone!
    Couldn't keep anything down for long, not water, ice, nothing.

She had to go on a drip (3 litres) a couple of weeks ago because she was so dehydrated and they gave her some useful advice.

1.) Have some ginger biscuits before you get up.
    2.) Try eating Jelly.
    3.) Eat regularly and eat small amounts.
    4.) Ice chips.

The severe morning sickness is called hyperemesis gravidarum. Although it's only been two days so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

wexford202 wrote: »
    Hi there

I am 10 weeks pregnant and am suffering chronic morning sickness. I have tired so many things but sually end up with my head stuck down the toilet 3 or 4 times a day.

I love ginger but I am almost completly turned off that as I see it 10 minutes after eating.

I have found the following some of the onnly things that stay down,

Tuc Crackers - The salted ones in yellow packet (Eat Dry)
    Homemade brown bread toasted with a tablespoon of beans
    Dinner: Cheese Single on toast.
    Pop Corn
    Chocolate digestive
    Lucozade
    Flat 7up

I often find that even a forkful of something tasy like chinese noodles can really satisfy you. Make sure that the portions are kept very small as you will def see it again if you eat large portions.

I am really hoping hat mine will subside after 12 weeks but eeryone in my family had i full term.

I am of quite a slim build so I think my body may be feeling the changes inside (Strecthing / Growing) that bit more than others.

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw too though.

I have to say, even though I was hugely sick for the first trimester, I did suffer with the quesiness and I lived on popcorn and lucozade.

I'm actually sicker in the third trimester than I was in the first. Spent all day Saturday throwing up everything I ate and I'm 32 weeks. Trust me to do things backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Lobber, my GF is the same. This is our third (14 weeks) and she was sick throughout for the other two as well. Even up to and including the delivery ward yet as soon as the little fecker was out, sickness was gone!
    Couldn't keep anything down for long, not water, ice, nothing.

She had to go on a drip (3 litres) a couple of weeks ago because she was so dehydrated and they gave her some useful advice.

1.) Have some ginger biscuits before you get up.
    2.) Try eating Jelly.
    3.) Eat regularly and eat small amounts.
    4.) Ice chips.

The severe morning sickness is called hyperemesis gravidarum. Although it's only been two days so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

i was exactly the same.
    a few more things-
    -dont get out of bed straight away, eat in bed then get up, resting your feet on the ground for a while before standing
    -fresh air
    - if she cant eat try complan- a nutritional drink thats heavy enough to keep the hunger off but not as bad as food

dont worry about it affecting the baby though cause i rarely ate during my pregnancy (sickness got better about a month before the birth) and my baby was a healthy weight, my doc just said eat whatever you can cause its better than nothing.
    chicken noodle soup is sometimes good!
    i cant go near ginger now after overdosing on the stuff!
    congrats! hope it goes in the second trimester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If it lasts for much longer than 2 days I'd give the hospital a ring. There's a risk your girlfriend could end up dehydrated if she can't even keep water down. A friend of mine ended up in hospital a few times during her pregnancy because she had chronic morning sickness.

The tips above are good. I just stayed away from anything with rich sauces, ate mostly dry foods. Crackers and toast are good, eaten before getting out of the bed. I used to keep a packet of crackers in my bed side locker!!!

Advertisement