Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what gun to buy

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi living in meath and looking to get a nice shotgun to start me off hunting have an airrifle but its limited i shoot clays maybe once every two months but have to rent the shotgun from to shootin grounds

i'll mainly be shooting crows joining my local cun club so i can go shoots with them

with a buget of in or around €300-500 what would be a good start i'm not looking for anything fancy it just has to be in good order and fire straight
    is semi-auto the way to go or an o/u

have looked around but both types seem very expensive €1000+

help me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

For the pros and cons of semi auto vs over and under take a look at this thread from a while back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055500348

Can't really help you with the over and under but there are plenty who can.
    As regards of semi auto if you decide to go that way take a look at mossberg. They are very entry level but do the job well. I have a 9200 and it will shoot clays as well as fulfilling various hunting purposes. Only problem I had was a pin that wore out after a considerable amount of shooting, but it was easily replaced. One of these would be well within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A BIG problrm for me with a 5 + 1 pump was not knowing how many shells were left in the mag. Very nearly had an accident thinking it was empty.

Would never get a Semi or Pump again, stick with a S/S or U/O ---- IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Some people tend to worry about them alright. It's even advisable to unload all the shells before climbing over a gate or something. On the plus side for the mossberg it has a very visible safety that's operated by the thumb rather that on the trigger guard. Most people looking at the shotgun comment on how much handier it is compared to other semis.
    If you are predominantly going for clays, most people will go for an over and under, but it is really up to what feels right. Try as many as you can, semi and over and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

with your budget id go for a second hand baikal or a lamber o/u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

+1 for Lamber O/U.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Lanber make a good O/U aswell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LOUTHSHOOTER

oscar_ wrote: »
    hi living in meath and looking to get a nice shotgun to start me off hunting have an airrifle but its limited i shoot clays maybe once every two months but have to rent the shotgun from to shootin grounds

i'll mainly be shooting crows joining my local cun club so i can go shoots with them

with a buget of in or around €300-500 what would be a good start i'm not looking for anything fancy it just has to be in good order and fire straight
    is semi-auto the way to go or an o/u

have looked around but both types seem very expensive €1000+

help me please
    Check out the baikal deal on www.shoot.ie they are very good to deal with and u cant go wrong with a baikal there a workhorse of a gun and very reliable.A great gun to cut your teeth on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

+ 1 for the lamber, nice tidy all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

+1 for Lanber if you go for a Baikal make sure to book an appointment with the dentist an absolute jaw breaker of a gun IMO though a great workhorse if thats what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Ylildiz,,,, Clarks have a lovly second hand one in stock thats going for great money.. ive been shooting one for half a year and had no problems...Its O/U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=Hibrion;60407097]Some people tend to worry about them alright. It's even advisable to unload all the shells before climbing over a gate or something. On the plus side for the mossberg it has a very visible safety that's operated by the thumb rather that on the trigger guard

No need to empty it totally.Just rack the slide back fully and remove the shell from the chamber .With the slide back the trigger mechanism and hammer are totally blocked by the battery.With the saftey on,they are extremly safe in that condition
    Semis are abit more complex,
    saftey on,rack back the battery,unload cartridge,apply mag cutoff[if so equipped].Trick with semis is;dont have a shell in the breech to allow it to function.

As for not seeing that it is totally empty,get a Hi VIZ shell follower.The newer ones are now equipped with them.It's bright flouresent orange.So if you dont see orange,when you think you have unloaded it,there is still one in the magazine.
    Still the best saftey devices are your Eyes and common sense.LOOK in the mag and chamber to see it is clear when you unload it.If you cant see,shove your finger in the breech and mag.A cartrdridge face is well identifiable in the dark as is a mag follower.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Forget these cheap guns and forget the recession. Came across a few Brownings last week in a gun shop in Wales. Here's a pic of the three of them on display. Beautiful guns with lovely timber and fantastic engraving.

P5221426.jpg

Now they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Ideal for throwing across a ditch, or beating down a few briars. The middle one was the nicest - here's a close up of the engraving work, and by the way, the price tag!

P5221424.jpg

Yes, you did read it correctly - £64,000 for one gun. If that's a bit steep, then the top one is only £38,000 - as for the third one down, there was no price tag and if you had to ask, you probably couldn't afford it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FOR SALE:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    One Kidney,slightly used,moderate amount of alcohol passed thru it in last 30 years. Numerous pints of blood ,clean non HIV or AIDS,right testicle[moderate useage] and left foot for sale,good condition 98% of thread still there.EU size 45.
    One fiancee also for sale 43,good looker,average cook,low maintence, pro gun and shoots occasionaly,has been taught to retrive & carry shot game,not a great swimmer,so unsuitable for wild fowling Moderately good pistol shot as well.

Owner hoping to purchase above 64K shotgun.:eek:

Apply
    Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

First thing i would say to you is if you do the odd bit of clays tell some of the lads there that you are looking for a gun and could you fire a shot or 2 from theirs, or some of the club lads to shoot a few crows. Most lads wont mind esp if you are starting off. See what make gun you feel comfortable with and go from there. If you are going to take up shooting don't start by looking at the price tag before you try the gun, even to some of us 300 to 500 is not a lot for a gun there is no point in spending money and having something you are not comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Lanber or baikal stay well away from the yilidiz. I have had all three the lanber and baikal are no lookers but are great bits of kit and will last for years. Had a yilidiz got rid of it soon after lovely looking gun but it kicked like a goverment mule have never had a shotgun like it. My father bought one the same time as me he had a baikal for 28 yrs, we both ended up with alot of bruising to our shoulders we could not believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oscar_

well thanks for all your advice i ended up buying a browning semiauto its a nice gun hope its a good one paid 700 for it its in good enough condition

but now my brother is looking at a gun its an o/u connaught tried looking them up but can't find any info on them

any help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Now they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Ideal for throwing across a ditch, or beating down a few briars. The middle one was the nicest - here's a close up of the engraving work, and by the way, the price tag!

Off you go again trying to peddle your cheap $hite :D.

Advertisement