Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Investigates 25th

• 26-05-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

anyone watch this. ?
    I thought it was interesting the woman giving out about repossession of her house and she hasnt paid anything for it since 2002 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i know, that seemed more then fair to me also 2002-2007 was the height of the boom surely she could have sold it and cleared off most of her debts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

Hardly ANY of these 'sympathy cases' deserve true sympathy. The property baron was the master of his own downfall, so was the apartments constructor, so was that horsejumpy woman who hadn't paid a red cent on her mortgage in donkey's years. The young futures traders were an odious lot too.

The american chef and the chippy/bricklayer guys (one of 'em was romanian) get my sympathy. It's tough being the 'little guy', being laid off, even though you have real skills that actually MAKE something, not just leveraging loans as a landbaron or dabbling in nebulous money markets.

Pity RTE's journos had to go for the lamenting background music and the soft questioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pity RTE's journos had to go for the lamenting background music and the soft questioning.

Yeah but any one of the could have been one of Bart's People.
    Seriously though, I have a few questions about the people in the program.
    1. The property developer guy (well dressed shaved head guy). By my estimation, he paid over 3m of the bank's money for his house (now worth 1.5m so he said) on Pembroke Road, all based on the fact that he was gonna sell/rent overpriced properties to other people. Why did you bet your family's stability on a gamble? Lost his money through greed.
    2. The horseywoman. Why didn she sell ffs.. did she have nobody advising her financially? I would say there was a certain amount of snobbery on her part also, not wanting to downsize.

Again I feel sorry for the builders, but should the immigrants not have made provision for the fact that the boom here was only going to be temporary. I mean they werent coming here in the 1980s, did they think that this boom was gonna last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

Could this thread please be locked as one of the people in it is a parent of mine and it's not fair how people who doen't know the exact story are making rude and degrading comments about them.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Could this thread please be locked as one of the people in it is a parent of mine and it's not fair how people who doen't know the exact story are making rude and degrading comments about them.
    Thanks

They shouldnt have agreed to be on the show if they didnt want their story in the public domain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought it was a badly made programme and real hard economic issues were avoided.

I did'n tsee the show but was told about it by a friend and from what he and the posters here have siad we are supposed to sypathise with people who did'nt pay a single cent toward their mortgage over a 5 year period at the height of the celtic tiger. I'm sorry but I've no sympathy for them.

As for the poster wishing the thread locked as he has a personnal connection to one of those on the show, well when your parent agreed to be on the show they lost any right to dictate how they would be discussed in the general media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

When I heard it was on I made a point of watching it. I was really disappointed. There were no explanations from any of the participants as to how they had gotten into the mess they were in. By that I mean the lady who hadn't paid any of her mortgage since 2002!!! And the guy who had 24 million in property at one stage. How did that fall apart? I'd like to hear his story. I thought the guy who advised on winding up companies was good.
    Only ones I felt sorry for were the chef with the small child and the Romanian and the carpenter whose jobs were gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I honestly dont know which is more stupid - someone not paying their mortgage for nearly 7 years and expecting to not have their property reposessed, or a respected TV show making a sympathetic show for them!!

This country is going to the dogs (if we are not there already that is)

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Only ones I felt sorry for were the chef with the small child and the Romanian and the carpenter whose jobs were gone.
    +1

It wasn't a great show, where was the Irish average paid laid off factory workers for a start ?

As for the property guy, that's the nature of any business. If you go into any form of business with the idea that you can buy, buy, buy and borrow beyond your means and think your untouchable, well you should of thought twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

ive found a lot of the recent prime time shows to quite poor and sensationalist tbh

like the pensions one where they used an "average example" of a taoiseachs pay increases but neglected to mention that top bods got increases way more than the lower ranks courtesy of the gleeson reports and the like over the years.

or the Immigrants one where it was implied that ireland was somehow racist cos some lady lost her job and is now in breach of her work permit and might be sent home (never happens in any other country apparently!) and possibly giving fivers to a few junkies to say "they tuk our jawwBSS"

Next week : Is Declan Ganley the mastermind behind clerical sex abuse in ireland? ...primetime investigates...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That guy who was mortgaged up to the hilt on several properties was hardly expecting sympathy. He got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Aidric wrote: »
    That guy who was mortgaged up to the hilt on several properties was hardly expecting sympathy. He got what he deserved.

Amazing the way our attitude in this country has changed so dramatically of late. Because a man makes investments that don't work out for him he "got what he deserved". All of a sudden, the pursuit of profit has become something to be ashamed of. Anyway, thats for another day.

I thought the programme was terrible. They property guy looks like he's going to lose everything. Why though? Although he is mortgaged to the hilt, he didn't say there was a shortage of tenants. Neither did he say his problems were as a direct result of decreasing rents. The fact that his property portfolio is worth a lot less now than before wouldn't in itself be enough to make him go bust. They said he had a planning problem that resulted in 200k of reduced revenue. Nothing really to do with the current recession. Also the story of the woman who hasn't paid the mortgage since 2002 was nothing really to do with the current recession. Just an unfortunate and complicated situation between her and her lender.
    As for the chef and the lads on the building site - sad stuff. A more indepth analysis of their situations would have made sense.

Poorly put together programme using a mixture of relevant and completely irrelevant stories. Was more Tv3 than RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Aidric wrote: »

I think so. I am sure as a professional landlord he upt the rents to the max when he could. Now he expects a break.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mosesgun wrote: »
    Amazing the way our attitude in this country has changed so dramatically of late. Because a man makes investments that don't work out for him he "got what he deserved". All of a sudden, the pursuit of profit has become something to be ashamed of. Anyway, thats for another day.
    Cop yourself on. The guy took mortgages out on over 10 properties at the height of a property bubble. If he had the least bit of cop on he would have realised that there was going to be a property crash and he'd be left badly exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

mosesgun wrote: »
    Amazing the way our attitude in this country has changed so dramatically of late.

"Of late"? Bull!

Criticism of a certain breed of feckless buy-to-let landlards is nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Thanks

If there is a story there that wasnt accurately covered by the program, you could take this oppertunity to fill in the gaps for us so we understand why things turned out they way they did for your family.

I dont think anyone here wants to bash people who genuinely are going through a hard time not of their own making but the program did nothing to get the viewer to sympathise with any of the people profiled (except the builders) as it didnt explain why things things happened to them. The inference was that it was as a result of the credit crunch or greedy banks but that was not apparent from the program narrative or from the people's own words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

homeOwner wrote: »
    The inference was that it was as a result of the credit crunch or greedy banks but that was not apparent from the program narrative or from the people's own words.

which ofsourse could be down to the bad editing or commentary. At 1 point I heard the commentary immediately contradict the point one of the traders made??.

And the bit with the smug trader standing there talking sh&t about the homeless recolonising their environment. What a plonker. If that was the case they might go upstairs and lift him from his fat chair and f*ck him out the window. Why did rte think this piece was needed, I dont know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It was really badly made. If you are going to do a show about the effects of the resession than at least show people who have worked hard and through no fault of their own they are being laid off. Only the Labourers + chef were derserving of any sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It was a laughable excuse for an investigation show,utter drivel.
    Trying to defend the indefensible.
    People must take responsibility for their actions .

Alot of the people in this country only have themselves to blame for the state the economy is in.
    Greed,ignorance,vanity,recklessness,arrogance and dishonesty.

Every dog on the street was speculating in property ,it was inevitable the bubble was going to burst.
    Services providers and tradespeople were charging extortionate prices and goods were outrageously marked up.
    The whole country become uncompetitive and greedy.
    People seemed to believe the stories that Ireland was the richest county in the world.Laughable.
    People coveted a lifestyle well beyond their means and lost the run of themselves.
    If you wanted something just go out and buy it,worry about paying for it later.
    For any of those people I have no sympathy,their actions jeopardised the rest of us .:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement