Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunlop goes down for two years.

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Two years just heard it on Kenny's show. Will prob serve one when all things are taken into consideration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Proper order. Shows the courts are not afraid of jailing FF lackeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Now jail the politicians who took the bribes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Two years out of a possible maximum seven. Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

spadder wrote: »
    Now jail the politicians who took the bribes.

I trust that you think we need trials first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jailing Dunlop and not going after those who took bribes would be a travesty for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

bmaxi wrote: »
    Two years out of a possible maximum seven. Not enough.

Not even two years...18 months !!...he will do less than a year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its 18 months actually- thank god hes actually getting jail time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I trust that you think we need trials first.

They tend not to remember anything, let revenue ask them to prove where they got their monies and if they say "I won it on a horse" - straight to jail, don't pass go, don't pick up ministerial pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its 18 months actually- thank god hes actually getting jail time though.
    Expect an immediate appeal to be lodged and he will get bail in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

If he is guilty, does that mean that he was telling the truth, and the politicians took the bribes?
    Any chance of them going to jail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

donaghs wrote: »
    If he is guilty, does that mean that he was telling the truth, and the politicians took the bribes?

It means that when the money left his possession, it was a bribe; when it arrived in the politician's possession, it was a political donation.

I'm not holding my breath.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Expect an immediate appeal to be lodged and he will get bail in the meantime.

We can only hope the appeal court judge is actually awake and breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

donaghs wrote: »

At least Dunlop had the guts to own up to what he did, admit it was wrong and take the hit for it, unlike the politicians who took the bribes and hide behind amnesia and lawyers. Not saying he was right, but has recently shown more integrity than others still in positions of authority.
    I've no objection to him getting bail while appealing, even violent criminals have gotten that while waiting for trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

We can only hope the appeal court judge is actually awake and breathing.

he pleaded guilty, what would he be appealing ? length of sentence ? hardly, he'll take his medicine, he's supposed to have got 250 grand for bribing the councillors to get the zoning of the land changed, he got a 30 grand fine, 220 large for 9 months inside, hmmmmmm

eimear1 wrote: »
    At least Dunlop had the guts to own up to what he did, admit it was wrong and take the hit for it, unlike the politicians who took the bribes and hide behind amnesia and lawyers. Not saying he was right, but has recently shown more integrity than others still in positions of authority.
    I've no objection to him getting bail while appealing, even violent criminals have gotten that while waiting for trial!

He didn't "own up".

jeemojney wrote: »
    he pleaded guilty, what would he be appealing ? length of sentence ? hardly, he'll take his medicine, he's supposed to have got 250 grand for bribing the councillors to get the zoning of the land changed, he got a 30 grand fine, 220 large for 9 months inside, hmmmmmm

Probably severity of sentence, you know, bad heart, stress, intimidation by all those horrible tv licence defaulters.
    Can anyone remember the horrendous conditions Ray Burke had to endure and the two fingered salute he gave to the public? My heart is bleeding for Dunlop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Where is Frank Dunlop most likely to serve his 18 months?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Threads merged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

mike65 wrote: »
    Jailing Dunlop and not going after those who took bribes would be a travesty for me.

I couldn't agree more with this. There really is something wrong with jailing him and letting the scum like Burke live on their huge ministerial pensions when Dunlop is going to prison precisely because the judge said he is guilty of bribing them.

Do we have prison sentences for people who accept bribes or is that grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ray Burke got 6 months. George Redmond got a year. Liam T Cosgrave did 75 hours community service. Michael Lowry settled with the Revenue. Ben Dunne wasn't charged. Pee Flynn is judged to have received 50,000 from Dunlop but has never been charged. CJ Haughey wasn't charged at all, as it was judged prejudicial comments had been made by Harney.

Considering that, and the fact he co-operated, I'd say he's been shafted, relatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dunlop, middleman lobbyist - jail

Redmond, corrupt official - jail

Politicians who actually took money for votes - nothing

notice the trend?

Riskymove wrote: »
    Dunlop, middleman lobbyist - jail

Redmond, corrupt official - jail

Politicians who actually took money for votes - nothing

notice the trend?

Haughey, suspected of dodgy dealing. Returned by voters
    Burke ditto
    Lawlor ditto
    Lowry ditto
    Flynn P ditto
    Flynn B ditto
    Notice the trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Nodin wrote: »
    Ray Burke got 6 months. George Redmond got a year. Liam T Cosgrave did 75 hours community service. Michael Lowry settled with the Revenue. Ben Dunne wasn't charged. Pee Flynn is judged to have received 50,000 from Dunlop but has never been charged. CJ Haughey wasn't charged at all, as it was judged prejudicial comments had been made by Harney.

Considering that, and the fact he co-operated, I'd say he's been shafted, relatively speaking.

And what about the people who made the really big money out of all this? The people that financed the bribes? How many of them will see the inside of a jail?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Burke ditto
    Lawlor ditto
    Lowry ditto
    Flynn P ditto
    Flynn B ditto
    Notice the trend?

Yes- the system, along with those elected by the system are all inherently corrupt. Local voters vote on the basis of what 'their' politician brings home to the constituency- not the good that they do for the country. This is why Jackie Healy Rae is a folk hero in Kerry- and despised everywhere else.

Until such time as pork barrel politics are abondoned in favour of a list system, and politicians represent the Irish people- rather than Jack and Anne from Bog na Boille, we have no chance at all.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Altreab wrote: »
    And what about the people who made the really big money out of all this? The people that financed the bribes? How many of them will see the inside of a jail?

Well, going on what we've seen so far...none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Burke ditto
    Lawlor ditto
    Lowry ditto
    Flynn P ditto
    Flynn B ditto
    Notice the trend?

the difference to me is that people are free to vote for whoever they like....but the justice system should have to investigate and act on wrong doing, regardless of who that person is

Riskymove wrote: »
    the difference to me is that people are free to vote for whoever they like....but the justice system should have to investigate and act on wrong doing, regardless of who that person is

The electorate, by returning these people to the Dáil imply that the standards and ethics they display, are acceptable.
    The justice system is supposed to be independent and subject to the law and the constitution, while I believe this to be the case for the most part, it must be remembered that it is politically appointed, either directly or indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

In Dunlop's credit he gave up all the info to the tribunals knowing that he was indicting himself. He may have had a Damascian moment for him to find moral courage to reveal all. All those dirty politicians should be investigated by the CAB without delay as they took the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Altreab wrote: »

The only way anyone was able to make really big money was by bribing elected officials and the odd county manager.

The question needs to be asked. What's worse? Bribing an official in the hope that he'll vote for you to build a shopping centre, where traffic mayhem will ensue and the quality of life for those who live next door to it will be massively reduced for ever ....

or ...

Voting for the shopping centre and so ensuring traffic chaos and a reduced standard of living for those who live beside it.

The simple fact is that if politicians were straight we'd have better infrastructure and smarter planning to go along with these shopping centres, because then they'd be working in the interest of the people who elected them as opposed to walking all over them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

poor old frank the fall guy dont get me wrong hes as guilty as sin but theres a lot of the big boys of ff wishing he would just die if i were you frank id hang them all

Advertisement