Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless bridge for VOIP

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have a Eircom Netopia 2247NWG router in my attic which is cabled to the office in my garage. I bought a Linksys WRP400 ATA router from Blueface and I need to get the 2 linked somehow. I can't run a cable between the 2 because whichever eircom guy installed the ports put the BB port in the attic and the phone port in the ground floor hall.

For full functions the WRP400 needs to be connected to both the lan/dsl router and the phone line. I thought it would be simple to get the routers connected wirelessly but I'm a newbie to wireless and it just isn't working for me.

I searched the other posts and DD-WRT seems like a good solution but I don't think the Netopia router is supported.

I called Blueface for help and they're not sure how to do it either. They suggested that someone on this board would probably have the exact same setup and would be willing to help out.
    I'm not sure if this should go in the wireless or voip area, but hopefully someone has already figured this out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Few ways around this depending on your setup exactly

Setup A
    ( incoming eircom phone line goes Road---> Attic--->Hall & Office AND your going to use blueface instead of eircom totally)

Put the Linksys in the attic beside the rest of the gear.
    Plug a LAN cable from the eircom router into the (proper port ) on the Linksys
    Disconnect the phone lines running from there to the hall and attic.
    Connect the hall and office lines to the 2 phone ports on the Linksys.
    If there is a LAN cable coming from the office , put it into the Linksys
    If there is a LAN cable coming from the hall/elsewhere , put it into the Linksys
    Disable the wireless on the Netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

To bridge the Linksys ATA to the wireless router you could use this which would act like a wireless client, so you can connect the Linksys ATA to the Buffalo bridge by ethernet and then the Buffalo bridge connects to your wireless router wirelessly. There is no real need for the Linksys ATA to have wireless then unless you want it as another Access Point etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 senanoc

Thanks for the replies guys - I will try to get everything setup in the attic. It sounds simpler and that's good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

To bridge the Linksys ATA to the wireless router you could use this which would act like a wireless client, so you can connect the Linksys ATA to the Buffalo bridge by ethernet and then the Buffalo bridge connects to your wireless router wirelessly. There is no real need for the Linksys ATA to have wireless then unless you want it as another Access Point etc.

Few problems if you do that

Another little box to go wrong (important as it will be the phone for an office)
    Have to spend more money on another little box (pointless)
    Wireless is cr*p really anyway
    The Linksys won't be able to manage the traffic itself and you'll have to do it in the Netopia. (pointless)

Advertisement