Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Pregnant What now

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Everyone,

Took Test Last night, came up pregnant, approx 3+ weeks. Unplanned or unexpected surprise to be more polite. So just wondering what to do now? Do I need to go to doctor? Do I just sit and wait for a while or what??:confused::confused::confused:

Also was taking pain killers about a week ago for a really bad flu will that affect me? Have I done any harm? Nurofen Cold & Flu??? Already feel like I've put on weight but I think thats just my head running mad :P

Any advice on the next steps would be really appriciated as not telling parents yet!! OMG OMG.....shock! I've so many more questions but just can't think right now...:eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats:)
    You need to make an appointment with your gp and also decide on which hospital and care option that you want.
    Depending on your area you rchoices will be pubic (free)mid wive led unit(free) and private and semi private (pay for)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Congrats!!!

Just to put your mind at ease the painkillers or flu medicine won't hurt your baby, especially at such an early stage.

You should start taking folic acid and book an appointment with your GP.

Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mum2b09

Thanks for the replies guys, folic is going to be bought on way home today :):):).....thats good relief about the pain killers, was reading things on internet about causing miscarriages and was driving myself mad with worry!!

was reading through posts and found one on private or public....all so confusing, and all decissions to be made so early......:eek::eek:

thanks again for help :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mum2b09 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, folic is going to be bought on way home today :):):).....thats good relief about the pain killers, was reading things on internet about causing miscarriages and was driving myself mad with worry!!

was reading through posts and found one on private or public....all so confusing, and all decissions to be made so early......:eek::eek:

thanks again for help :):)

Just on this topic, please don't over analyse anything on the internet... if you are worried about ANYTHING speak to your doctor because you could only make yourself more stressed by the things you read online. I know I was.

Congratulations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Bit off topic but as far as reading things up on the internet goes, yesterday a friend rang me to tell me her daughter had Shingles and was really worried about me as I had been with her at the weekend. I knew it was nothing to worry about as I had already had Chicken pox but after reading loads of crap on the net I was lead to believe I should be on way to hosp asap!! Rang doc and she said not to worry it's not a problem....phew!

Main thing to do op is relax and take your folic acid. Don't tell people for as long as you can as you will be driven demented by most people!

And congrats!!

• Advertisement

Also one other tip, don't give people your due date, just tell them the month you're due... I made that mistake and in the couple of days on the run up I was getting sooo many texts and phone calls asking was anything stirring that it nearly drove me batty.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Also one other tip, don't give people your due date, just tell them the month you're due... I made that mistake and in the couple of days on the run up I was getting sooo many texts and phone calls asking was anything stirring that it nearly drove me batty.

I couldn't agree more! People were ringing me a week before my due date asking me if there was any movement!!! :mad: I ended up 9 days over due so i was driven mad. I didn't actually mind being over due i wasn't uncomfortable and i was terrified of the birth. Turn's out wasn't to bad :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neady80

Hi guys this is my first time on this, but I was hoping for some advise maybe this has happened to you at some stage. I did 4 pregnancy tests last week and all positive I should be about 6 weeks. Made appointment with the doctor to get confirmed but his came up negative on two different occasions (done one the next day with him). Is it possible to get 4 false positives, could the doctor's tests be wrong. He laughed at me and said that I must have done something wrong and was nearly pushing me out the door. I had to insist on a blood test being done. I am waiting on the results from that. I am getting very stressed at this stage not knowing.

Neady80 wrote: »
    Hi guys this is my first time on this, but I was hoping for some advise maybe this has happened to you at some stage. I did 4 pregnancy tests last week and all positive I should be about 6 weeks. Made appointment with the doctor to get confirmed but his came up negative on two different occasions (done one the next day with him). Is it possible to get 4 false positives, could the doctor's tests be wrong. He laughed at me and said that I must have done something wrong and was nearly pushing me out the door. I had to insist on a blood test being done. I am waiting on the results from that. I am getting very stressed at this stage not knowing.

It's happened to me. Doctor was the same, laughed at me. It broke my heart... I thought I was pregnant, was sure of it, yet this doctor was telling me I wasn't. Went back a couple of days later and saw the nurse and it came up positive then. Wish I had of insisted on a blood test... But I have a daughter now. Maybe visit another doctor if you can't wait any longer? Tell them what happened, I'm sure they'll oblige.

Hey Everyone thanks for all your tips, taking my folic acid now and everything. Trying not to do too much reading on the net hahahaha was driving OH mad also!!

Just one thing I'm unsure about, when I work out dates in my head I work it out that I'm 4wks approx, but I found a pregnancy calculator on the net and it tells me I'm 7wks and it works it out from the same dates I am. The clear blue test with the conception calculator said 3+, so just wonder does anybody have and accurate idea?? Have first visit to gp tomorrow :):) a little nervous :):)

Oh and will be keeping it to myself and good idea about due date!! I think I might of been one of those annoying people before :eek:

One more thing, is it really not safe to be eating runny eggs??? I love my boiled eggs runny :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Are you going with 4 weeks from conception or from the first day of your last period?

Early dating is done from the first day of your last period, so it's typically two weeks longer than you're actually pregnant.

As far as I can tell, the conception indicators are from conception, so the official length pregnant will be two weeks more.

I've also heard they're not that accurate date-wise either so I wouldn't be relying on them.

Congratulations by the way! :)

Are you going with 4 weeks from conception or from the first day of your last period?

Early dating is done from the first day of your last period, so it's typically two weeks longer than you're actually pregnant.

As far as I can tell, the conception indicators are from conception, so the official length pregnant will be two weeks more.

I've also heard they're not that accurate date-wise either so I wouldn't be relying on them.

Congratulations by the way! :)

Thanks very much Kitten Caboodle, yeah I'm working out from the night of the dirty deed hehehehe:D. Yeah wouldnt rely too much on it, only really looking for the pregnant or not pregnant from the test, as knew the dated myself, didnt relaise that you include time from first date of last period (so bad how little I know about these things).:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Don't worry, you'll be an expert soon enough.

Thanks very much Kitten Caboodle, yeah I'm working out from the night of the dirty deed hehehehe:D. Yeah wouldnt rely too much on it, only really looking for the pregnant or not pregnant from the test, as knew the dated myself, didnt relaise that you include time from first date of last period (so bad how little I know about these things).:confused:

I didn't have a clue about that either until I found out I was pregnant! It's amazing how little you know when you start out! You'll pick it all up as you go along and you'll be an expert by the end :)

ohh first GP visit today, it kind of making everything real.....scary:eek: in a good way!!!

OH Half is insistant on going with me, even re-arranged his day to fit the time, I know it is good that he being so involved, he prob show me up in front of doc having all these questions while I'll b just sitting there dumb founded...lol

ohh first GP visit today, it kind of making everything real.....scary:eek: in a good way!!!

OH Half is insistant on going with me, even re-arranged his day to fit the time, I know it is good that he being so involved, he prob show me up in front of doc having all these questions while I'll b just sitting there dumb founded...lol

You can blame baby brain for the lack of questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

One more thing, is it really not safe to be eating runny eggs??? I love my boiled eggs runny :(:(:(

Don't get to caught up on what you can or can't have. When i was pregnant i found having something that seemed to be off the list every now and then was ok but write out a list of things you've been told you can't have and ask your gp. You can always ring the maternity hopsital you'll be attending when you are unsure about something. I found that really helpful. The nurse's know soooo much more than docs... and the net :P

:D had first gp appointment on Friday all went well. Really really happy with my doc, really put me at ease, he arranging everything with the hospital for me, wants to see me again in 3wks or so to see how things are going, mind is at ease with everything, only problem now is that OH is watching everything I do, can't eat that, doc said, ahhh think you should has some fresh fruit instead of the cream cake, if you still feel like it later I'll buy you one...grrrrrr.....no impluse buying when OH is with me...lol...And wasn't weather great for weekend :):):) would of loved some bulmers light in a beer garden, instead I was designated dessie :(:(....I have 9mths well 8now of this to look forward to...lol...

Also asked doc weather to use my VHI or go public, and he advised public all the way!!.....Unless you with a private health insurance that is for Maternity, you are going to end up paying over the odds for care that is the exact same as public. Health insurances don't make anything from Maternity care!! No matter if you are public or vhi mother and child are first priority and no care as to who is paying :):)

Advertisement