Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security requirements for centerfire

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi guys ,
    I know this is here , but I’m on a blackberry and search won’t work at the mo . But I’m thinking of getting a new rifle , can someone post the link to the security requirements and also are theses changing for rifles with Herr Otto Flick new rules and reqs and restrictions.

Thanks
    Dar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Off hand I would think:

1- Gun Safe. fixed to a solid wall and out of sight of any wimdow. Best upstairs in a wardrobe if possible.

2- House alarm, any type should do, ie. not monitored.

3- Tell as few people as possible you have guns in the house.

4- Outside light that is motion detectable. If only for the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As presented at the FCP conference:
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).
    Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Thanks Guys ,
    Thats perfect .
    Dar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I read that link and everything seemed so civilised and calm, we are all working together to sort this out very positive approach

Whats the story now?? I wonder:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

"Firearms should never be left unattended."

24/7???:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

"Firearms should never be left unattended."
    24/7???:eek:

Well, when outside of the safe was the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Again the devil is in the detail and the wording, as it leaves it open to whatever interpretation the gardai wish :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Has the gunsafe to be in the dwelling house or can it be placed in a garage seperate to the house? Mine is in the house, bolted to the wall but my good wife would prefer it in the garage. I have no plans to move it out, just wondering if it was permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Has the gunsafe to be in the dwelling house or can it be placed in a garage seperate to the house? Mine is in the house, bolted to the wall but my good wife would prefer it in the garage. I have no plans to move it out, just wondering if it was permitted.

that would probably be ok if the garage has the same security as the house
    ask your local crime prevention officer he/she would be very helpful in giving you any advice you need.

Advertisement