Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Ramor

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of heading to Lough Ramor over the coming weekend. Anyone any reports on how its fishing for pike at the moment, the best locations to try, and what the best baits and tactics are?

Thanks - Sham :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No problem - at xx time go to xx place and use xx bait and you will catch the 40 pounder that lives in that swim.
    Ooops I left something out !!!! :):):):):):):)

It's not a good idea to shortcut researching, fishing and solving the puzzle that a new water is. Solving the big puzzle is why angling remains so interesting for so many years.

You'll enjoy Ramor. It's a fine lake with big fish.

HINT: the coarse fish are spawning right now

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

There is a nice spot to fish around the back the lake down the "boat road", there is a small car park there and you will get a few people down there at the weekends.

The best way to get fish on that lake is hire a boat for the day. There is a sign up with a number down at the lakeside manner.

Also where the lake meets the river down near the caravan site is another good spot.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Im heading down with my neighbour and our kids so we won't be boating. The kids are going after a few small perch whilst the "seniors" are pike-ing! What's the best time of day for pike fishing there. I'll be down at a spot behind Virginia...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Try early morning, and at evening at least one to make comparison with the middle of the day. The pike will let you know what times they choose to feed. It's not productive to pre-guess times.

And tactics / bait ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. A good weekend was had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

The weather was indeed fantastic, catch any fish, if so what ? More details please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PikeFisherman

i fish lough ramor alot, the best baits to use is mostly deadbait on the bottom or on the float. Spinners are also essential, there a great bait to use. But for the bigger fish it would be the deadbait. For smaller pike use spinners but you may get that one big pike on the spinner. The best type of spinner to use is a copper or a silver spoon. If you are fishing from a boat on the lake a good bait to use is a bright swimbait. Good luck and tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Off the pier in the town with a copper spoon used to yield fish for me regularly. Got 3 in a half hour once to 11 pound. Changed I'd say. I'm old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Got 3 in a half hour once to 11 pound. Changed I'd say. I'm old

Changed alright. Much better nowadays;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement