Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Voting Cards

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

My wife gets 2 votes every election. 1 in her maiden name to her home address and 1 to our registered home address. Both are in the same voting district and despite numerous attempts, nobody seems bothered to have the maiden name vote un-registered.

I wonder how many other people are in this position and is this the case for lots of women who take their husbands surname and move house?

She has never used both votes by the way.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

My wife gets 2 votes every election. 1 in her maiden name to her home address and 1 to our registered home address. Both are in the same voting district and despite numerous attempts, nobody seems bothered to have the maiden name vote un-registered.

I wonder how many other people are in this position and is this the case for lots of women who take their husbands surname and move house?

She has never used both votes by the way.:D

IMO it's rife. I have known several people throughout the years that had voting cards in different areas. It happens because of incompetence on behalf of local authorities / fraud / genuine mistakes. But basically it happens because it suits the government of the day. If they felt it was going to affect them negatively then they would move heaven and earth to make sure that the register was accurate and up to date as you would expect of any properly functioning democracy.

The fact that the register hasn't been corrected bar a little bit of window dressing in previous years is a matter of serious concern; and IMO brings into doubt many previous electoral results.

Remember which party has the unnoficial slogan Vote Early, Vote Often?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I get two - one to my name and one to a misspelling of my name, which I NEVER put in the register. no idea how its on it. Have tried before to have it removed from the register, but didn't have the time to make sure. Think i'll go on a serious push soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a very easy thing to happen if you register for a new address rather than move your old registration to your new address. If you don't explicitly tell them the council can't know where you were last registered etc. Though if they tied registration to PPS numbers they'd be able to clean up the register a fair bit I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Would people be anti their voting registration being tied to pps number, on account of privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Turgon,

you're right that is an issue. Having the PPS numbers as id for voting would require a change in the law AFAIK. But it is the only way that I can think of for easily making the the register secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

turgon wrote: »
    Would people be anti their voting registration being tied to pps number, on account of privacy?

I wouldn't be anti it, but then I favour identity cards being mandatory so I'm not exactly a privacy activist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

nesf wrote: »
    I wouldn't be anti it, but then I favour identity cards being mandatory so I'm not exactly a privacy activist.

I'd be in the same camp. Bring on identification cards- I certainly don't have anything to hide.

Advertisement