Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't trust the Ferryman

• 26-05-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Boarded a P&0 Ferry to Scotland last Friday, always very concious of my height and followed instructions from the Ferryman. Cautiously moving forward I said to myself I ain't going to fit under that vent shaft (about 3meters high). The ferryman was shouting and flapping his arms to get loaded as fast as possible. Then the bang and a scraping sound.:eek:
    When a bystander started to take some photos I figured I was in big trouble and probably missing my roof. Ferryman still insisting I go forward:mad:
    With the help of about eight burly campers (who spoke nicely to the ferryman ;)) we loaded them all into the cab and onto the front bumper, dropped a couple of inches and managed to reverse out of trouble. Ferryman upset as he had to reverse a dozen cars behind me to allow me make a different approach.

A thorough inspection revealed a 2cm scratch on my rooflight with no other damage, got lucky this time :D
    My advice: know your height and don't trust the Ferryman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good call.........blimey......those lads don't give a sh1te do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

simple rule of thumb:

If you're driving a proper motorhome and they want you to go somewhere other than where the trucks went ...refuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hi Stapeler,glad you escaped without real damage. Was it on the Larne ferry? If so could you tell me what height you are as I had loosely planned to take that route. It happened to me on a ferry from South Shields some years ago,I stopped just in time and then had to wait until everything else was loaded and reverse back to come through a higher entrance.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

boyoh wrote: »
    Hi Stapeler,glad you escaped without real damage. Was it on the Larne ferry? If so could you tell me what height you are as I had loosely planned to take that route. It happened to me on a ferry from South Shields some years ago,I stopped just in time and then had to wait until everything else was loaded and reverse back to come through a higher entrance.:)
    Mine is just shy of 3.1meters, it was the Larne to Cairnryan ferry with more than enough headroom (about 3.5m) but they insisted that we drive down and turn under ductwork (which appears to have taken some knocks in the past). I'll certainlty be checking clearance myself in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

stapeler wrote: »
    Mine is just shy of 3.1meters, it was the Larne to Cairnryan ferry with more than enough headroom (about 3.5m) but they insisted that we drive down and turn under ductwork (which appears to have taken some knocks in the past). I'll certainlty be checking clearance myself in the future.

Thank's for that Stapeler,mines about the same height,I'll watch out for the ducting.;):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement