Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing in clane

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

going out here on thursday, very much at the beginner stages of fishing but the beginnings of a long career!

have been doing some research and have opted to go for clane on thursday. handy enough to get to from dublin, good for brown trout this time if year afaik.

anyone any tips for me? so far i know that we could do with split shank hooks. Worms will do but small mepps spinners would be better.

Hook the worm so the head and tail extend about an inch past the points, leaving a loop in the middle. Worms are probably the best all-around trout bait and work especially well in spring and autumn, particularly after rainfall.

all help appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Make sure you have a permit. They can be strict up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah probably try get one on thursday in clane if we even go now!!!

after all my research my mate has been doing his own now and said his friend of a friend swears by the stretch between Poulaphouca Reservoir and ballymore eustace, especially this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

try a small spinner for this time of year and dont put too much faith in the worm. try a few minnow either but to be honest the worm and minnow are more or less reduntant this time of year. you might get a bit of sport with the spinner id say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Can you use maggots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iascanmore

Degsy wrote: »
    Can you use maggots?

Maggots and worms are strictly not allowed (ie against the law!) on the Liffey due to the complete ban on salmon angling. check cfb.ie for more details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement