Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken and mushroom vol au vents

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

i love cooking these but the sauce is never creamy/thick enough. is it just a case of sub milk/cream for water when making the sauces???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

oh ya, you're never gonna get a creamy sauce using water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Make a veloute but add a bit more flour if its too think.

if I make vav's, I use roasted chicken not breast as it has way more flavour, then I use the carcass for stock for the sauce. Include a little wine,garlic and thyme then finish with chopped fresh parsley and chives. I add the cooked ingredients (eg, cicken, mushroos, lardons) to the sauce and leave be for 24 hours. Old fashioned but delicious! Ya gotta love the 70's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I make the sauce with creme fraiche & parmesan. Usually stays quite thick - don't add the mushrooms too early or they'll release a lot of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

If I'm adding mushrooms to anything like a sauce I always fry them off separately first. I find this way you get round excess moisture from them, I add them to the sauce towards the end of cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

flour, milk and butter. guesstimated amounts, but always werks for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shezza

I know its cheating but I love the Campbells (now knorr) chicken and white wine soup mixed with full fat milk to make my vol un vant mix its yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

shezza wrote: »
    I know its cheating but I love the Campbells (now knorr) chicken and white wine soup mixed with full fat milk to make my vol un vant mix its yum!

I've heard loads of my friends making it that way

Advertisement