Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for beginner

• 26-05-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Need a few opinions here folks. Looking for insurance at the moment so I can buy my first car to learn in. Looks like I am doomed. I am 26 on a provisional for the first time and the quotes I am getting (or not getting) are ridiculous.

On a 1.1 litre Mitsubishi Pajero Junior - I was outright refused. On a full license for this I was getting quotes of €1500+

On a 1 litre Seat Ibiza on a provisional I am getting quotes of between €1319 to €1480

That is almost the same price as the car itself :eek:

Now here is the CRAZY bit. To be put as a named driver on my Dads Saab 9-5 2 Litre TURBO it would only cost €190 extra.

WTF :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What a lot of people do is get their first car in their parents name, get themselves added as a 'named driver' on the policy, and after 4-5 years- when they have their full licence and 5 years as a named driver with a clean record- get their own policy outright.

Ps- I'm not suprised they wouldn't quote a learner driver on a Pajero........ :D

Have a word with one of the sales people- they often have specific makes/models which are discounted for age groups/genders/licence type holders etc. I get a 15% manufacturer specific discount for driving a Volvo as an example........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is not a proper Pajero, it is a Pajero Junior - BIG difference. It is a tiny mini-jeep with a 1 litre engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Well as you are finding out there is no such thing as 'cheap' insurance :(. Irrespective of what car you choose the insurance is going to be expensive (€800-1000+) on a first learner permit if you are insuring it in your own name. Even at that you will be limited to around 1 litre small cars.

One option may be to do something like the Hibernian Ignition Course and get a discount. However, the main goal should be to pass the test and get a full licence as quickly as possible if you really need a car of your own (going to be at least 6 months if you've just got the permit). You could consider putting off buying a car until you have the full licence and use your Dads or an instructors car for the lessons & test.

As to why it is 'relatively' cheap to be added to your Dads insurance :

If you look at it from the Insurance point of view and their assesment of risk for a second....if the car is in your name and insured by you then the assumption is you have full time use of the car. Now being on a learner permit you are not permitted (by law) to drive unaccompanied and as its a first learner permit you are also assumed to be inexperienced. However even though it is against the law there is a 'risk' that you will drive unaccompanied perhaps have an accident with a 3rd party for which the insurance company will pay out and therefore they will 'load' your premium accordingly.

If you go as a 'named driver' on your dads car then your access to the car is limited (assuming your Dad uses it say 90% of the time!) and also it is more likely that you will be accompanied while driving and therefore the risk is lower and hence the premium is lower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Try www.insure.ie

Give them a ring rather than doing it online and you should be able to get a decent quote. I'm paying 1600 (TPFT) for my own first policy on a 05 1.4 focus. Still on provisional licence (22 yrs old). Was a lot cheaper than everywhere else I rang which were in the region of 1800-2000+

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is not a proper Pajero, it is a Pajero Junior - BIG difference. It is a tiny mini-jeep with a 1 litre engine.

Doesn't make it any safer to drive- and more to the point- if its involved in an accident, there is a higher probability of injury requiring hospitalisation than from a 1 litre Nissan Micra (or similar). Its pure statistics- and no reflection on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

if i got an insurance quote for 1500 id be flying, im 18 insurance on my own is 4000+ even with full license

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

My circs:

Age 26, on a '97 1.6L Mondeo Saloon (€1000), 1 year ND experience, 0 years full licence i was quoted €852 for comp on easyquote.ie. Bizzarely it was more expensive to get TP F&T or having my dad as a named driver. Awesome price - equivilent Quinn price was €1800! :eek:

For a laugh, just checked myself for a '06 3 litre Ford Mondeo ST220 or a Noble M15 (Both worth 6k) and got a quote of €1200 each - Amazing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

britton insurance. britton insurance.

ring them for a quote. don't use the online quoting system. trust me

i'd be willing to bet that you won't get a better quote anywhere else

thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

can you say to save money buy a car or give your parents the money to buy your car, have them down on the insurance and add yourself to save money? Or have they that figured out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

britton insurance. britton insurance.

ring them for a quote. don't use the online quoting system. trust me

i'd be willing to bet that you won't get a better quote anywhere else

thank me later

Absolutely agree.

I'm in a similar demographic to the OP. I'm 27 and got my first learner permit last week. My lowest fully comp quote was 1771 with Hibernian and Britton found me a quote for 1270 fully comp, so €500 quid cheaper (for an 2005 1.25 Fiesta). Think the TPFT quote was around €1000.

Give them a call on 074-9721304

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

ps3man wrote: »
    if i got an insurance quote for 1500 id be flying, im 18 insurance on my own is 4000+ even with full license

What are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

What are you driving?

i was driving a peugeot 206 but had to get rid of it, thats what the 4000+ quote was on, on my dads insurance now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Try E2180 for the first year and E1760 for the second year. That's nearly 4 grand on bloody insurance alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

ps3man wrote: »
    i was driving a peugeot 206 but had to get rid of it, thats what the 4000+ quote was on, on my dads insurance now

A 206!!?!?!? I thought you were going to say an Impreza or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

i drive a 206.. 1300 axa student plus insurance fully comp, plus break down cover and im 18 too. Ders no way ur paying 4k on insurane. and im only on first permit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

ring up quoteme.ie,it was 1800e on site and rang up, got an updated quote for 1100e with first years learners permit with tpft no a corolla 1.3

i drive a 206.. 1300 axa student plus insurance fully comp, plus break down cover and im 18 too. Ders no way ur paying 4k on insurane. and im only on first permit

Depends- and yes, it is entirely possible.
    If the person is living in a particular area, male, has modified the car in any manner whatsoever- then yes, you could be paying 4k in insurance. If there was a claim as a named driver on a parents/guardians policy- it would also massively affect a person's first quote.

There are many factors that go into it.

1300 for fully comp for a student on their first permit is an excellent quote- and also probably reflective of your address and history (or lack thereof) too.

Advertisement