Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

TheNog wrote: »
    Question: Can someone point to me the piece of legislation which gives Gardai the powers to detain a car when it is being driven by a learner and/or with 5 kids unbelted in the back?

Answer: There is no such legislation therefore no Garda power to detain the car from the woman. No choice but to let her go. Who is at fault here? The Gardai? No. Its the legislation.

Why not let her go, follow her down the road, and pull her in again. Give her another 80 euro fine and two points. Repeat every half mile. Either she'll soon get the hint that she shouldn't continue driving, or within 3 miles she'll have 12 points and a ban.

?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Would each sprog not be deux points with driving with no licence deux points ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Would each sprog not be deux points with driving with no licence deux points ??

You can only receive points for one offence when stopped, other wise people could be put straight of the road for a few minor offences.

There are no points for driving on a provisional, its either court or nothing.

You can only receive points for one offence when stopped, other wise people could be put straight of the road for a few minor offences.

Presumably though if you drive off and carry on committing the offence, you can be stopped again and have the same punishment applied?

spockety wrote: »
    Presumably though if you drive off and carry on committing the offence, you can be stopped again and have the same punishment applied?

Definitely I would say. i.e if you are stopped for speeding and are not wearing a belt you get two points, if you get stopped speeding again down the road you will without doubt get two more points. The fact you were stopped before for the same offence would make no difference.

• Advertisement

Definitely I would say. i.e if you are stopped for speeding and are not wearing a belt you get two points, if you get stopped speeding again down the road you will without doubt get two more points. The fact you were stopped before for the same offence would make no difference.

Well then if the Gardai in "Traffic Blues" do not have the authority to seize vehicles on the spot, they surely have the ability to put offenders in a position where they themselves will feel they have little choice but to abandon their vehicles and seek an alternative to getting on their way in a legal manner!

Every week I watch Traffic Blues I simply cannot believe what i'm seeing. Watch Road Wars on Sky and see the cops there physically taking cars off people and driving them away themselves! Some cops in the UK actually have specific training/qualifications for driving extremely dangerous/unroadworthy vehicles so that they can get them off the road.

spockety wrote: »
    Well then if the Gardai in "Traffic Blues" do not have the authority to seize vehicles on the spot, they surely have the ability to put offenders in a position where they themselves will feel they have little choice but to abandon their vehicles and seek an alternative to getting on their way in a legal manner!

Every week I watch Traffic Blues I simply cannot believe what i'm seeing. Watch Road Wars on Sky and see the cops there physically taking cars off people and driving them away themselves! Some cops in the UK actually have specific training/qualifications for driving extremely dangerous/unroadworthy vehicles so that they can get them off the road.

When they do take cars of people on road wars the offences are more serious though. I actually dont think the offences commited on the programe were serious enough to take a car off somebody to be honest.

I think its not a good route to go down giving the Gardai the power to sieze cars for every second breech of the ROTR which appears to be the opinion of some people on this thread.

On a separate point in relation to driving without insurance. Some people appear to think it is treated as a more serious offence in the UK when in fact its actually more serious here. For a first offence driving without insurance in the UK its a fine and 6 points but you keep your licence, here its an automatic ban in almost all cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anybody see it yesterday and care to comment on anything?

I found the female garda trying to explain why they where speed checking on a perfectly good straight piece of road hilarious!

If your in a crash at 125km/h its like falling off a nine story building but its fine at 120km/h? :rolleyes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was sickened for the Gardai who didn't get the Seat. As soon as I saw they weren't going to find him, I thought they would have asked the cameraman to review his footage for the reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah that really annoyed me, speeding checks on what motorway was it, the M1? Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

draffodx wrote: »
    Anybody see it yesterday and care to comment on anything?

I found the female garda trying to explain why they where speed checking on a perfectly good straight piece of road hilarious!

If your in a crash at 125km/h its like falling off a nine story building but its fine at 120km/h? :rolleyes

Did anyone else notice when they showed the speedometer of the Garda car while trying to catch the speeding Golf.....he was doing 115 MPH (not KM/HR) and just above the speedometer is the little red light on for NO SEATBELT :D

Madness in my opinion irrespective of what the law says about the Gardai being exempt from the seatbelt law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Berty wrote: »
    So Tonights Episode:

To any Garda who will visit this post. I can only go on the information provided through editing.

I can very concerned about the woman with the 5 kids in the back of the car.

2 points and €80 fine. Was she not driving on a provisional without a fully licensed driver.

Im unhappy about this to say the least.

That checkpoint is a stone's throw away from my house. I see that behaviour every day - I probably saw that particular lady herself several times before in a situation like that. Having 5 unrestrained kids in the back is completely unacceptable to you or me in this country today, but I feel it is better to educate (people with cultural differences) than to punish. Let's not forget either that it's only a few decades ago that cars didn't have seat belts in the back. Let the Garda apply discretion, let him log the issue in the "pulse" system and if the lady would be caught doing it again, give her the worst possilble slap.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only mistake she made. She was an unaccompanied learner driver and by letting her get away with this, all 300,000 or so learner drivers in this country were given the message that the Gardai will let you away with it. After all those decades, the rule change frightened people into finally starting to learn to drive and get their licenses and now they're told there's no need :(

Worst of all was the reversing when the lady realised she was going to be stopped at a checkpoint. This is dangerous driving and she should have got 5 points for it imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

draffodx wrote: »

Holsten wrote: »
    Yeah that really annoyed me, speeding checks on what motorway was it, the M1? Joke.

It's all for our safety don't ya know :rolleyes:

Oh....and according to a few boardsies AGS are not interested in stopping drivers going "only" 5kph over the limit and yet there was yer woman going on about looking for drivers going at 125kph because it was so dangerous....go figure :rolleyes:

delly wrote: »
    I was sickened for the Gardai who didn't get the Seat..

I loved the bit when he was running back to the car and says to the other guard...."Are ya coming?" :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I actually enjoyed that programme rather than having anything much to critise.

I found it very "IRISH" that the Donegal Gardai rang another Garda station to say "d'ya know him, you do - no problem on you go we shall forgot about the excessive speeding(which we cannot prove anyway)"

I think I feel happy for the boardsie on this forum driving the Santa Fe that she got away with only a few seconds of imagery. :D

I thought the M1 speed check point was suitable because if anybody drives this road they will know that those N1 drivers really kick it on these roads. 160-180kph is nothing to most of them. Anybody who does not slow down at an onramp is a fool anyway because that is the Gardai's favourite location. They can see you when its all too late. I once passed a flyover(daydreaming) at over the speed limit and looked in the rear view mirror. The blue lights started to flash(on onramp patrol car) so I sh*t my pants but he didnt move. A few seconds later he switched off his lights. *Phew - Not fast enough obviously. :confused:

Prior to watching this programme I was aware that there is a difference between traffic core and regular Gardai but I think this programme will help people realise that Traffic Corps are doing a completely different job from Joe Garda who walks up and down the street giving out fines for pissing in an alley at 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I was sickened for the Gardai who didn't get the Seat. As soon as I saw they weren't going to find him, I thought they would have asked the cameraman to review his footage for the reg.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Also I was glad to see that moron in the Red Polo(it was a polo right) got the book severely thrown at him in Court with LARGE FINES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The thing is re. the red Seat, don't judges believe everything a garda says he/she obeserved in relation to various offences when in court ? But yet the garda in question who was only feet away from the car as it sped off didn't get the reg ? I thought that would be the first thing he looked at as he heard it about to make off ? However I'm sure it's not as simple when you're actually in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Jip wrote: »
    The thing is re. the red Seat, don't judges believe everything a garda says he/she obeserved in relation to various offences when in court ? But yet the garda in question who was only feet away from the car as it sped off didn't get the reg ? I thought that would be the first thing he looked at as he heard it about to make off ? However I'm sure it's not as simple when you're actually in that situation.

He seemed to be distracted by his phone/notebook/something. You hear the engine rev and the car screeches off, but its a second or two before he looks up and then runs back to the patrol car.

"Are ye comin'?"
    "Yeah" and then shouts at the stopped driver "I'll Get it back to ye!!" referring to his licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At least the reg was blocked to protect the poor innocent people that run from a checkpoint............

How come they reckoned they couldnt leave the guy at the side of the road when they took his car in case he gets hit by something? But theres no issue with people continueing in overloaded cars, bikes with no proof of insurance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

The M1 speed trap was purely a money making exercise as even the guards admitted the northern reg drivers speed on that section. E80 fine will not change someones behaviour in the way penalty points will.

The most disappointing thing about the show is how many chances the guards give sonmeone. I could believe there was even a discussion with the guy caught for second time with no insurance, tax, NCT etc...

I have learnt from watching the show that will almost always be given a second chance.

There seems to be a lot of on-Irish offenders on the show. Deliberate or coincidence?

• Advertisement

McSpud wrote: »
    The M1 speed trap was purely a money making exercise as even the guards admitted the northern reg drivers speed on that section. E80 fine will not change someones behaviour in the way penalty points will.

The points are not an option for the Northern drivers, so should they be allowed drive as they please so people dont think they are only stopping them for an €80 fine. I doubt they'd have had to wait too long for a speeding car registered here to come along if thats all they were after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

The most disappointing thing about the show is how many chances the guards give sonmeone. I could believe there was even a discussion with the guy caught for second time with no insurance, tax, NCT etc...

What is the law regarding no tax/insurance etc.? If you ever watch the Road Wars program on Sky, the police in the UK confiscate any car they find that doesn't have tax/insurance and the driver has to pay the fees etc to get it back (after taxing/insuring it, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Your kiddin me ..right..?..i thought this programme was a comedy....it should be..all the Gardai featured look like the want to burst out laughing.:D....

Woman A gets stopped for holding her phone...gets a fine...woman B just gets a friendly word...did i get this right..??

if i did ,i can only assume lady A lived in Tallaght and woman B lived in Foxrock...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it was brilliant to see the guy in the punto getting a €3500 fine,he had already been caught the week before doing the same thing and had his car seized,so he got the car back and continued driving with no tax or nct,well the wrong tax disk and possibly a fake nct disk,

the best bit of the series so far,the guard took out the possibly fake nct disk and asked the driver why bits off it were glued together,
    drivers answer,who did that?:)
    what kind of idiot asks a guard who has been tampering with his nct disk??

showing the seat leon taking off when he was asked to stop was a bad idea,surely it will encourage someone to think if they floor it they might get away!!?

was that a golf r32 that was pulled for speeding on the m1?,maybe he was delighted to be caught at 141km/h,he could have been doing 250km/h just down the road:eek:,purely speculation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

bladebrew wrote: »
    was that a golf r32 that was pulled for speeding on the m1?,maybe he was delighted to be caught at 141km/h,he could have been doing 250km/h just down the road:eek:,purely speculation!

lol, I reckoned that too.

Probably a moment of
    "oh jesus..caught, great..license gone"
    "We have you at a speed of 141km/h in a 120km/h zone"
    "Ah, sorry about that Garda :o *THANK CHRIST :D:D:D*"

bladebrew wrote: »

the best bit of the series so far,the guard took out the possibly fake nct disk and asked the driver why bits off it were glued together,
    drivers answer,who did that?:)

When your man in the car said "who did that", the Garda answered: "Well it wasnt me anyway" LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

When your man in the car said "who did that", the Garda answered: "Well it wasnt me anyway" LOL:D

must be tricky to keep a straight face with someone like him:)

also the tax disk wasnt his:eek:,

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    What is the law regarding no tax/insurance etc.? If you ever watch the Road Wars program on Sky, the police in the UK confiscate any car they find that doesn't have tax/insurance and the driver has to pay the fees etc to get it back (after taxing/insuring it, of course).

I am fairly sure if tax out for 3 months guards can take the car. Not sure if they can do it under that time period.

It is too easy to get around the paper disc system with forgeries which is probably why so many uninsured drivers. Garda checks are almost entirely visual so as long as forgery doesn't involve glue will probably never be caught. There really should be investment in an electronic system - surely something like the toll tags could be used?

It is too easy to get around the paper disc system with forgeries which is probably why so many uninsured drivers. Garda checks are almost entirely visual so as long as forgery doesn't involve glue will probably never be caught. There really should be investment in an electronic system - surely something like the toll tags could be used?

I propose they buy and fit ANPR cameras to Garda cars.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Stekelly wrote: »
    I propose they buy and fit ANPR cameras to Garda cars.............

The traffic corps do have ANPR don't they?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement