Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hey all,

just wondering is there anywhere to watch this online?

Missed all the episodes thus far, doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

You can find it on the RTE website. The first episode isn't on it. Also, they have been uploaded onto youtube.

Anyways, I find it quite funny that a lot of the Guards are a bit old and over the hill. And every single one of them appears to be a culchie. RTE filmed for 6 months for this series and they only got 6 half hour episodes out of it?!!! Talk about squandering money.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Liamario wrote: »
    RTE filmed for 6 months for this series and they only got 6 half hour episodes out of it?!!! Talk about squandering money.

They also don't seem to have got any unusual incidents bar couple of women walking across the M50. They did show footage from chopper but I think was from the Gardai themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Youd' be amazed how much work is put in to every minute of TV.

My wife was on TV for something a little while ago, and part of it was to feature her in Italy at a hotel. The camera crew (3 people) and us flew to Rome, spent the day filming in various spots, did takes and re-takes etc. etc. and then flew home that evening.
    When the thing finally made it on TV, the Italian bit of it probably accounted for 10 seconds of footage.

She was also an extra on the current Hibernian ad. They got several hundred extras together on the docks in Dublin, dressed them all in famine period dress, got them all on a big boat and then filmed for 12 hours-ish (it's the black-and-white bit where everyone on shore is saying good bye to the people emigrating). Again, the expense and effort of that one day, plus all post production etc. gave a grand total of 2-3 second of ad time.
    In the latest version of that ad, they've even dropped that scene.

TV/Film is very time consuming, I wouldn't slag RTE off for needing 6 months to do a 6 episode show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

-Chris- wrote: »

TV/Film is very time consuming, I wouldn't slag RTE off for needing 6 months to do a 6 episode show.

Very true Chris.

Other things to consider that the production company has to deal with are.....

It's an unscripted "reality" show so they probably have hours & hours & hours of dull unusable footage. (Come to think of it, some of that dull footage made it into the final edit and was shown in the programmes :D)

They only had a small camera crew out with a few squad cars so their chances of capturing any "action" would be limited.

Location. I am guessing Donegal, Dundalk and (I forget the last one) would not have as much "filmable action" going on when compared to the likes of Dublin, Limerick and other more densely populated areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

-Chris- wrote: »

, I wouldn't slag RTE off for needing 6 months to do a 6 episode show.

+1, Dad had a 5 minute interview on crimecall/crimeline whatever it is last month.

They were supposed to have a meeting at 11 for pre production!! He wasnt on it till 11 that night! Lucky for him he just went and arrested someone the day before it so was tied up in court for half the day :D

Thats a seriously long day for producers/cameramen/everything.

They should rely more on in car camera footage for taffic blues, the fixed ones that are starting tho appear in more and more garda cars. That way theyd get a bigger variety and save money!

I wouldn't compare a highly produced show to Traffic Blues. Surely in 6 months they got a hell of a lot more footage than 3 hours worth. There must have been something going on.

I wouldn't compare a highly produced show to Traffic Corps. Surely in 6 months they got a hell of a lot more footage than 3 hours worth. There must have been something going on.

They might well have filmed a lot more action but maybe AGS decided what could & couldn't been shown so they had to make do with what was left.

If they would have got better footage in other parts of the country then RTE should have used those areas.

There is a lot of dull stuff in ths shows for 6 months of work. How long did it take them to find footage of some guy without insurance/tax?

McSpud wrote: »
    If they would have got better footage in other parts of the country then RTE should have used those areas.

I don't know for sure but I think it was more down to where the production company were permitted to film by AGS and what crews could be followed.

Doubt it very much if RTE or the production company had much of a say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

keefg wrote: »
    They might well have filmed a lot more action but maybe AGS decided what could & couldn't been shown so they had to make do with what was left.

Yes unfortunately, that's what it looked like. I don't know what the aim was behind this show, but I've come away with a lesser opinion of the traffic corp as a result. Too many inconsistencies, and drivers being let off too lightly. I was appalled with the school bus a couple of weeks back, where the garda noticed the wire sticking out of the tyre (fair play for noticing this), and saying that a child could get badly hurt from it, which is true, but wire sticking out of a tyre is usually a sign of weakness in the tyre, and this could lead to a blow-out. They should have been made an example of in this case, it's not like we haven't seen accidents with school buses before. Inconvenient for the kids and their parents waiting to pick them up, maybe, but might make bus owners heed more to safety regulations that they're probably supposed to be adhering to.

polyfusion wrote: »
    might make bus owners heed more to safety regulations that they're probably supposed to be adhering to.

In fairness the guard said there was plenty of thread on the tyre etc so it wasnt from neglect but from catching a kerb or something and may have only happened recently and not have been noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

In fairness the guard said there was plenty of thread on the tyre etc so it wasnt from neglect but from catching a kerb or something and may have only happened recently and not have been noticed.

Maybe, but still, they had a stopped bus, with a potentially catastrophic defect, and they let it go! No excuses!

Other than the terrible bus tyre, they do seem to be far too easy going. I mean another example was the fact that they didn't blink twice about the girl who was pulled over and was only holding a provisional liscence

polyfusion wrote: »
    I was appalled with the school bus a couple of weeks back, where the garda noticed the wire sticking out of the tyre (fair play for noticing this), and saying that a child could get badly hurt from it, which is true, but wire sticking out of a tyre is usually a sign of weakness in the tyre, and this could lead to a blow-out. They should have been made an example of in this case, it's not like we haven't seen accidents with school buses before.

I found myself in John McEnroe mode shouting (well raised voice) 'you cannot be serious' at the TV when guard just let him drive off with tyre like that.

Unfortunately the programme seems to be showing up lack of knowledge or/and training in the Traffic Corps. If they are really a dedicated section they should be experts in motoring related areas. This week in Donegal Garda A made a point of saying garda B was an expert in insurance (after the pulled car trader) when I would expert all Traffic Corp gardai to be insurance experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They did seem fairly lenient on many of the issues. That woman with 5 kids in the back of the car - on a provisional license and no full driver with her. That was crazy.

I certainly think that they had let too many people off easy, then again, if it was you they pulled over, you'd hope they would go easy too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

h3000 wrote: »
    The traffic corps do have ANPR don't they?

There was more than a tinge of sarcasm.:)

keefg wrote: »

They only had a small camera crew out with a few squad cars so their chances of capturing any "action" would be limited.

I disagree with this bit. The 2 Gards will be on the road for a shift, which is a lot longer than I spend on the road each day. Bar the odd occasional quiet day, I see really bad instances of driving every single day that are worthy of being pullled over by AGS. Just today I turned out of my road (small cul de sac) about 200 metres down the road there is a lesser road joining the main one I was on. Thats how far I got before a woman firstly pulled out in front of me, making me brake hard, then as soon as she straightened her car she started rooting on the floor and vered completely over to the other side of the road. By some stroke of luck there was about a 2-300 metre gap in the traffic so she didnt hit anything. I see other such things as well as the usual multitude of people driving while talking on the phones, driving in buslanes, dangerous over taking, speeding, just plain not knowing how to use motorways etc.

Now maybe I'm just the (un?) luckiest person around, but I doubt it. Plenty goes on out there.

Whats the story with everyones face being blurred out anyway? If they are guilty can they not show them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Paulw wrote: »
    They did seem fairly lenient on many of the issues. That woman with 5 kids in the back of the car - on a provisional license and no full driver with her. That was crazy.

I certainly think that they had let too many people off easy, then again, if it was you they pulled over, you'd hope they would go easy too. ;)

...and trying to evade a Garda checkpoint, and trying to reverse back onto a roundabout :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stekelly wrote: »
    I disagree with this bit. The 2 Gards will be on the road for a shift, which is a lot longer than I spend on the road each day. Bar the odd occasional quiet day, I see really bad instances of driving every single day that are worthy of being pullled over by AGS.
    I agree. I'm sure if I was in a Traffic Corps car and in charge of who got stopped, I don't think I'd ever get more than about 10km away from my base before my shift was over :) (I wouldn't be 1% as lenient as that lot on the telly either :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paranoid

Other than the terrible bus tyre, they do seem to be far too easy going. I mean another example was the fact that they didn't blink twice about the girl who was pulled over and was only holding a provisional liscence

Absolutely - I was shouting at the TV throughout the programme - "Do your f***ing job, ffs!"

And before waving her off, he says something like "I won't ask you to put the L-plates up, as I can see you have them with you" (in her handbag on the passenger seat!)

The lesson seems to be to drive around on a learner permit, with no tax or insurance - in the unlikely event of getting stopped, you seem to get multiple chances to put it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

A lot of people seem to think the gardai in the programme are showing too much leniency. In fairness to them I think they're doing a pretty good job and we'd be complaining if they stamping down and showing no leniency.

It's good to see their common sense approach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

joey54 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think the gardai in the programme are showing too much leniency.

Yes, because our cars are road legal, we're properly licensed, insured, and we're generally sober while driving.

Why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Anybody who does not slow down at an onramp is a fool anyway because that is the Gardai's favourite location

Not just the Gardai. California Highway Patrol love them as well. (Hint for vacationers)

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

There was more than a tinge of sarcasm.:)

Aaahhh!! I knew I was missing something yet I still continued to type:o.
    I was having a really stupid day yesterday:)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

LOL your man is clocked doing 141kmph on the M1 and the garda has to get up to 120MPH (200 kmph) to catch up with him so much for the 9 story building story :rolleyes: Says it all really :confused:# [And lolz at the seatbelt warning as they drive off]

What if some dope pulled out in front of them sat that speed? I'm sure the brakes on the family saloon their driving won't be top notch! :confused:#

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I started out liking this show but its progressively getting worse. The leniancy is becoming far too regular and people are getting off scott free. The majority of people don't give a damn about warnings and after a few days or a week they instantly fall back into their old habits.

The comment above about us complaining if they were a lot harsher, rubbish. Everyone who flaunts the law should be done, i don't pay €2500 a year in tax and insurance to subsidise every other layabout on the road with none, they should be DONE, on the spot, take the car off them and a hefty fine to get it back, once you have your papers in order.

And how did the guy in the red Punto get his car back after a week, and he STILL had no proper papers?!

No L plates and accomanying driver, DONE.
    No tax, insurance, NCT, DONE.
    Mobile phone, erratic driving, no sealtbelt, DONE.

Quit letting these people off. The only good thing this show displays is the zero tolerance for drink driving which we already know. The bad thing is it shows you get off with pretty much anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I do think it would be better (not just for TV), if the Gardai were more strict with people, especially for things that can have a larger impact - provisional drivers, drivers without tax/insurance, etc.

For some things (speeding, etc), a warning can work well, as long as the speed/offence is not excessive.

All the same, it's interesting to see how the Gardai work/think.

I disagree with this bit. The 2 Gards will be on the road for a shift, which is a lot longer than I spend on the road each day. Bar the odd occasional quiet day, I see really bad instances of driving every single day that are worthy of being pullled over by AGS. Just today I turned out of my road (small cul de sac) about 200 metres down the road there is a lesser road joining the main one I was on. Thats how far I got before a woman firstly pulled out in front of me, making me brake hard, then as soon as she straightened her car she started rooting on the floor and vered completely over to the other side of the road. By some stroke of luck there was about a 2-300 metre gap in the traffic so she didnt hit anything. I see other such things as well as the usual multitude of people driving while talking on the phones, driving in buslanes, dangerous over taking, speeding, just plain not knowing how to use motorways etc.

Now maybe I'm just the (un?) luckiest person around, but I doubt it. Plenty goes on out there.
    Alun wrote: »
    I agree. I'm sure if I was in a Traffic Corps car and in charge of who got stopped, I don't think I'd ever get more than about 10km away from my base before my shift was over :) (I wouldn't be 1% as lenient as that lot on the telly either :D).

Ahhh.....but as the age old saying goes..."There's never a cop/policeman/garda around when you need one" ;)

There's also Murphy's Law to consider which is especially prolific when you work behind a camera, you might see the most amazing sights in the world but you can be guaranteed they will stop the second you reach down for your camera :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

LOL your man is clocked doing 141kmph on the M1 and the garda has to get up to 120MPH (200 kmph) to catch up with him so much for the 9 story building story :rolleyes: Says it all really :confused:# [And lolz at the seatbelt warning as they drive off]

What if some dope pulled out in front of them sat that speed? I'm sure the brakes on the family saloon their driving won't be top notch! :confused:#

Firstly I noticed the seat belt light also.....stupid not to wear the seatbelt whether on camera or not.

Also the car they were driving was a 3ltr mondeo, not the average family saloon. (brakes are modified, but i'd be talking through my ass if I tried to remember what they are!!). And for the 3ltr Traffic cars you must have the advanced driving course as apposed to the standard course, which whether people here like it or not, does make you a better driver. Observation and reaction time is taken into account and you dont zoom past every car. You are constantly doing a rapid risk assessment of every car your passing and giving extra care to vehicles travelling behind another incase of an overtake.

If you detect a car at 140 travelling away from you, doesnt it make since you have to travel faster than that to stop him???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Firstly I noticed the seat belt light also.....stupid not to wear the seatbelt whether on camera or not.

Also the car they were driving was a 3ltr mondeo, not the average family saloon. (brakes are modified, but i'd be talking through my ass if I tried to remember what they are!!). And for the 3ltr Traffic cars you must have the advanced driving course as apposed to the standard course, which whether people here like it or not, does make you a better driver. Observation and reaction time is taken into account and you dont zoom past every car. You are constantly doing a rapid risk assessment of every car your passing and giving extra car to vehicles travelling behind another incase of an overtake.

If you detect a car at 140 travelling away from you, doesnt it make since you have to travel faster than that to stop him???

Fair enough I'm sure it was all for the camera and all, in fairness they have their priorities all wrong in the show chasing down northern 'speeder' (I'd hardly consider 141 lifting it on the M1) on the M1 and letting 17 year old (and other provisional) drivers go along without a full licence driver..beggars belief..Abit of a D'unbelievanles aire to it!

As for the advanced driving course bit he is only human after all and prone to the same flaws we all are, no matter how many courses he does!

Advertisement