Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is it repeated at any point?

Sorry if this was already said, I don't feel like reading the 6 pages and ruining the show :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Available to watch anytime online --> http://www.rte.ie/tv/trafficblues/

Not a patch on Road Wars tbh, but good all the same.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I preferred the Customs show a few months back. I think they're just going to show drink driving every single week to highlight it. I want to see high powered chases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The lack of technical terms that you get in Road Wars gets a bit jarring after a while.

"He's really tipping it on now lads"
    -Air Support Unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Wasn't too bad, suprisingly. Thanks for the RTE link :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just watching it online now. Have to say I'm fairly appaled at the young Donegal lad getting let on his way.

Steam billowing from a missing coolant cap, provisional licence, bits missing off the car and the car on UK plates (the gard says "it's not cleared" then the blurred plate looks fairly yellow to me) and form for speeding. How many reasons do they need to fine the guy and/or take the car off him? Hugely unprofessional bit of footage to be shown. You'd think with the cameras on they'd be playing it by the book not more or less encouraging a dangerous situation to arise.

It'd be interesting to get an opinion on it from TheNog or one of the other members of AGS around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the lack of "muppets" in modified cars getting attention astounds me:rolleyes:

Oh wait no it doesnt:D

I though the gards were fairly good in the program, I prefer them to be sound and reasonable than like smithie and roughie from roadwars....what a bunch of twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

When the program was announced, the Garda management and RTE were quick to stress that the program would not be car chases and violence, but would be traffic enforcement tickets etc.

Sunday Mirror
    TV Garda show gets green

AS if penalty points, speed cameras and on-the-spot breath-tests weren't enough, now beleaguered motorists have a new hazard to face - TV stardom.
    The Garda Traffic Corps are set to star in their own TV show later this year, it was revealed this week.

An RTE source said: "Don't be expecting 'Cops' or 'Road Wars'. This won't be shock TV with crazy car chases.
    "It's still in production, but it's more likely to focus on how the officers do their job."
    The fly-on-the-wall candid footage of gardai as they quiz suspected criminals by the side of road and intercept dangerous drivers.
    The firsty reality TV show to feature working Gardai was announced by The Garda Commisioner today.
    According to Big Mountain Productions, which is making the series for RTE, the eight episodes will air in spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

donvito99 wrote: »
    When the program was announced, the Garda management and RTE were quick to stress that the program would not be car chases and violence, but would be traffic enforcement tickets etc.

Sunday Mirror

I dont see the sentence in that press release that says drivers will be sent on their way despite a littany of illegal acts free to continue commiting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Only saw the last few minutes where they caught the guy making a break for the border.

The trailer for next week where a "driver is arrested for drinking driving" didn't spund too exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

A lot of people will obviously compare Traffic Blue to Road Wars, but I think it is more comparable with the BBC's version (I think it's just called Traffic Cops) that Jamie Theakston narrates.

The format is almost exactly the same as the BBC version where they cut from the roadside "action" to a studio interview with the officer.

This programme reminds me of my old school reports......"Could do better"

The production company needs to have a lot more camera crews out with the patrols, failing that, they should rig up a lot more cars with dash cams to capture the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Just watching it online now. Have to say I'm fairly appaled at the young Donegal lad getting let on his way.

Steam billowing from a missing coolant cap, provisional licence, bits missing off the car and the car on UK plates (the gard says "it's not cleared" then the blurred plate looks fairly yellow to me) and form for speeding. How many reasons do they need to fine the guy and/or take the car off him? Hugely unprofessional bit of footage to be shown. You'd think with the cameras on they'd be playing it by the book not more or less encouraging a dangerous situation to arise.

It'd be interesting to get an opinion on it from TheNog or one of the other members of AGS around.

I emailed the RSA outlining my disgust at the above incident and got this reply from Noel Brett this morning

Thank you for this email. I have this morning viewed the show and have been in contact directly with Garda HQ

I appreciate your e mail and support for road safety.

Regards

Noel Brett
    Noel Brett
    CEO

Hopefully it will have some impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

roadwars wrote: »
    Lose lose for the guards then is it?? If this was you or I or someone we knew, i think we would be over the moon that we only got 2 penalty points. It was good policing using discretion and I presume what the guard would like to have happen to him if he was in the drivers situation. Probably be best to dismount from the high horse before you collapse from oxygen deprivation

breaking a red light is serious

"keep her lit"
    :eek:

furtzy wrote: »
    I emailed the RSA outlining my disgust at the above incident and got this reply from Noel Brett this morning

Thank you for this email. I have this morning viewed the show and have been in contact directly with Garda HQ

I appreciate your e mail and support for road safety.

Regards

Noel Brett
    Noel Brett
    CEO

Hopefully it will have some impact

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

I dont see the problem in giving a young lad starting out a chance. Throwing the book at him would be of no benefit and he does have to report to the jlo. They will be keeping a good eye out for him im sure so he will either cop himself on or get caught again at which point they could punish him.

I thought it wasnt a bad programme and I was glad to see the Gardai being fair rather than that tough cop do everyone for everything crap you see on road wars.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In relation to the 'keep her lit' comment, would it make more sense that he could have been referring to the drivers indicator or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If I got up that high on my high horse, i'd get altitude sickness :eek::eek:

I dont see the problem in giving a young lad starting out a chance. Throwing the book at him would be of no benefit and he does have to report to the jlo. They will be keeping a good eye out for him im sure so he will either cop himself on or get caught again at which point they could punish him.

I thought it wasnt a bad programme and I was glad to see the Gardai being fair rather than that tough cop do everyone for everything crap you see on road wars.

But he was already caught for doing 138??

Nah only took 2 minutes to send the mail. Hopefully it won't be one of your family he plows into after been let drive on. If you think letting a 17 year provisional licenced driver in a wreck of a car who had previously being caught doing 138 continue driving then you have a fairly warped view of driving

If I got up that high on my high horse, i'd get altitude sickness :eek::eek:

High horse my arse. Same old ****e that gets posted on this forum all the time.

You'd be the one crying if this twat or similar ploughed into you after being stopped by the Gardai and let continue....grow up...stealthyspeeder....says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Nah only took 2 minutes to send the mail. Hopefully it won't be one of your family he plows into after been let drive on. If you think letting a 17 year provisional licenced driver in a wreck of a car who had previously being caught doing 138 continue driving then you have a fairly warped view of driving

It might not be the same guy though. It could be some young lad (or thousands of young lads) that seen this show and just got his first car. He doesn't care if he gets caught speeding. The Gardai will just "slap him on the wrist" if he gets caught.

Maybe it was one of stealthyspeeders friends that was on that video. That's why he is so defensive of this kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I liked the show, and will keep an eye out for another episode.

It really struck me that the young fella and the guy in the jeep got away practically scot free and that maybe I shouldn't be so worried about respecting speed limits, red lights, or even worrying about having a roadworthy car.

I know from my own experience that the chances of being caught are already fairly slim and now it seems that even if you do get caught, you'll only get a slap on the wrist anyways.

The guy in the jeep's situation was just ridiculous. There was clear evidence of speeding - they knew what speed they were doing when he sped past, and then had to do mad speeds to catch up with him, so even if they weren't able to match his speed and know it exactly, surely they could prove that it was over the speed limit?

Then, they had video evidence of the unindicated lane change, and breaking the light. I don't know what the legal definition of dangerous driving is... but.... to let him off with just a postal ticket for 2 points is pure lazy.

Did those Garda think that the traffic laws are just recommendations?

It was a great show, seemed to be editorially neutral, and let the Garda speak for themselves and by their actions allowed us to judge their decision making ability.

I'm sure those Donegal Garda were well intentioned, but you just don't let an unaccompanied driver off by himself in an unroadworthy car, you call his parents and get them or someone else there to the side of the road with you. Hopefully the rest of the series will have more clangers like that and the force will have to pull up its socks.

High horse my arse. Same old ****e that gets posted on this forum all the time.

You'd be the one crying if this twat or similar ploughed into you after being stopped by the Gardai and let continue....grow up...stealthyspeeder....says it all

Sending a mail to the RSA over an incident you saw on television, where you werent there! how can you presume to know it all? Guards have a discretionary power for a reason, who do you think you are going round telling them they are not doing their job properly? (in my opinion, somebody who is up nosebleed high on his horse!) there may be underlying information which is completely unknown to you. Maybe you should consider this before you start mouthing off.

Also when I picked my username, I was thinking of how to describe my type of car using 2 adjectives, nothing to do with my personality, but you werent aware of that when you told me to grow up. So maybe you should do a bit of research before you go around giving out.

Maybe it was one of stealthyspeeders friends that was on that video. That's why he is so defensive of this kind of behaviour.

Not at all. In fact my comment was on the actions of a boards member, nothing to do with the incident, the lad, the guards or the type of behaviour. Catch a grip of yourself.

Sending a mail to the RSA over an incident you saw on television, where you werent there! how can you presume to know it all? Guards have a discretionary power for a reason, who do you think you are going round telling them they are not doing their job properly? (in my opinion, somebody who is up nosebleed high on his horse!) there may be underlying information which is completely unknown to you. Maybe you should consider this before you start mouthing off.

Also when I picked my username, I was thinking of how to describe my type of car using 2 adjectives, nothing to do with my personality, but you werent aware of that when you told me to grow up. So maybe you should do a bit of research before you go around giving out.

What I seen was two Gardai allowing an unlicenced driver simply continue driving it what deemed was a wreck so I don't need to have been there. How can you defend their actions?

Let me tell you a story so as to outline why this pissed me off so much so as to send the mail

In January 1992 after leaving me off at a friends house my Dad was hit by a drunk driver whilst driving home. The impact was so severe as to completely rip the drivers side of the car off. The drivers seat ended up imbedded in the rear seats. Only for his quick thinking to aim his car for the hedge when he seen the other car on the wrong side of the road he would have been killed instantly. My father miracously got off with minor injuries thanks to the side impact bars in the car. After seeing the damage to the car the next day he was blessed

The f**ker in the other vehicle was so drunk he had fallen asleep at the wheel with his foot to the floor. To make things worse it came to light at the following court case that the local Gardai had observed this bastard driving erractily not 15 minutes earlier and for whatever reason didn't try to stop him. So if you think inaction by the Gardai is ok then you obviously haven't had to recieve a phone call telling you your father was involved in a major crash....its bloody horrible.

Also at the court case it came to light that he was the local school bus driver and was due to start work 6 hour later. He was a well known figure locally and we got the impresion during the court case that the Gardai knew him very well so to this day I reckon thats why they didn't pull him over

When I was reading that I just kept thinking I wonder if he supports Fianna Fail too.. Just turn a blind eye lads. Keep your head in the sand. We know what's best. It's our way or the highway. Don't question us. :P ;)

What many of us seen on that show seemed kind of odd, it just didn't seem right or fair. I personally felt let down by the Gardai. Anyone is well within their rights to bring this section of the TV show to the attention of whomever they want. Even if there was more to it than meets the eye people can seek clarification on the issue if they wish.

You obviously have some sort of vested interest which is aligned somehow with the people caught offending on these shows because you really haven't come out and said why you are defending them so defiantly.

Removed :)

Thats never happened to me, but I can imagine it would not be pleasant. Now with that information, it would appear that you have personal motivation and not just a self rightous busybody with too much time on your hands. However without knowing the full story and all the information, impressions can be wrong. I am not defending the guards or the driver, I just thought you were on the auld high horse, but your not, you have a genuinne reason for your actions. By the same token, without knowing the all the information that the people involved in the episode knew, I personally would not take action as my impression could easily be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Attack the post, not the poster.

This is possibly getting a little personal.

Yeah it was. I take back the last paragraph :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The law (especially something as simple as traffic law) shouldn't be open to interpretation.
    Fine, letting someone away with a warning for a minor offence but the cases of the youngfella in DL and the speeder in the SUV weren't minor, not at all.

• Advertisement

When I was reading that I just kept thinking I wonder if he supports Fianna Fail too.. Just turn a blind eye lads. Keep your head in the sand. We know what's best. It's our way or the highway. Don't question us. :P ;)

No
    What many of us seen on that show seemed kind of odd, it just didn't seem right or fair. I personally felt let down by the Gardai. Anyone is well within their rights to bring this section of the TV show to the attention of whomever they want. Even if there was more to it than meets the eye people can seek clarification on the issue if they wish.

In the same way that anyone is well within their rights to poke fun at individuals who they may percieve (originally in this case) to be overzealous high horseriding busybodies!
    You obviously have some sort of vested interest which is aligned somehow with the people caught offending on these shows because you really haven't come out and said why you are defending them so defiantly.

Oh dear, did someone not read read my post? here it is again for you

Not at all. In fact my comment was on the actions of a boards member, nothing to do with the incident, the lad, the guards or the type of behaviour. Catch a grip of yourself.

*Edit /Removed

Advertisement