Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

salonfire wrote: »
    I don't think that is a fair statement to make...if he wanted to, the car could be seized under the Finance Act (genuine question - because he is only 17, I assume his car can be lifted under the Finance Act - his age is irrelevant right???)

Yes his age is irrelevant.
    I appreciate TheNog's point on how much resources can be used to deal with the case and how it costs the taxpayer, etc - but its peoples lives we are talking about here - money or inconvenience should not be a factor - people want the roads to be as safe as possible and entrust AGS to help achieve that.

Thats incorrect. You are confusing the issue of seizing the car for non payment of VRT which I pretty much outlined step by step and the costs involved with driving a defective car.

Just because the VRT is not paid does not automatically make the driver a very real threat to other peoples lives

With his record and demographic profile, an attempt should have been made to at least get him off the road that night

Thats an unfair statement to make right there. His so called record was just 138kph in a 100kph. Thats not a major speed to be going at but Im thinking that posters are thinking the car was bellowing steam that time too but tbh no one knows if it was or not.
    As for demographic profile, pure waffle. If that was applied to everyone in this country then I could say all Dublin people are into stealing cars, all people from Limerick carry weapons etc etc
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Hardly, seeing as he could have taken the car off him because he was illegally driving a foreign registered vehicle. He chose tolet him go, and going by theNogs attitude that its financially better for the state to let him drive off illegally because the cost to impound is more than the amount of VRT recouped, it seems its common practice. So if you dont fancy taxing or havign an NCT while getting a cheaper car, it looks like all you have to do is drive a really cheap car and the gards wont be bothered with the law

I never said it was common practice nor should be taken as such. I just pointed out the difficulties in recouping VRT. All I gave on this stop is my opinion on the facts that I saw on the programme. It is obvious to me that particular stop was edited to whatever 1-2 minutes for TV. In reality it would have taken at least double that so some vital information would have been missed.

Also lets take into consideration the guard may not have any type of mechanical experience like me and so may not have known the possible outcomes of an engine seizing.

Again these are my own opinions on what I say so dont be taking the view that this standard practice across the board and to say I have an "attitude" I actually find a bit offensive. Two years ago I came onto the Motors forum not because I have an interest in Motors (well I do in some aspects) but I do come in here to inform posters about the workings of AGS in relation to traffic policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

TheNog wrote: »
    Two years ago I came onto the Motors forum not because I have an interest in Motors (well I do in some aspects) but I do come in here to inform posters about the workings of AGS in relation to traffic policing.

It's definitely appreciated TheNog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Just saw it there for the 1st time.

Pretty disgusted that the Santa Fe (It was a Santa Fe right?) driver got 2 penalty points for that when I got the same for being slightly over the limit on a clear DC. I surely would have thought not indicating/changing lanes on a roundabout/sitting in the overtaking lane (don't know the road at all but I can remember the Garda pulling alongside him while he was in the furthest right lane, could easily be wrong on this though) would amount to careless driving?

With the Donegal lad, I think the Gardai should've been alot sterner with him. i.e scare the bejasus out of him instead of just calmly talking to him and explaining what a JLO is. Even hollow threats such as "your name/car/condition etc is on the system now, if we catch you again with your car in this condition it will be crushed etc. etc." would make him think twice about hooning around in it anyway.

I take the "keep her lit" comment as accelerate quite quickly when driving onto the overtaking lane as I don't want to be standing in the middle of it for too long

Thought it was watchable anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    With the Donegal lad, I think the Gardai should've been alot sterner with him. i.e scare the bejasus out of him instead of just calmly talking to him and explaining what a JLO is. Even hollow threats such as "your name/car/condition etc is on the system now, if we catch you again with your car in this condition it will be crushed etc. etc." would make him think twice about hooning around in it anyway.

Gardaí must operate within the legislation thatwe have. We cannot ''scare the bejasus'' out of someone. The member explained what was about to happen in a polite manner. If he had started roaring at the kid then this forum would be in uproar. Every Garda will give advice or a caution to a motorist once in a while but not procecution also. Its one or the other. The member decided what action to take (his choice not anyone elses) and stuck by it as a JLO caution.
    AGS is not in the business of issuing hollow threats or any threats for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

im sure the guard was saying cars could be driving by at motorway speed! thats not a motorway and its approaching a roundabout,if its the road im thinking of:confused:,
    on again at 8:30 tonight dont forget!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

bladebrew wrote: »
    im sure the guard was saying cars could be driving by at motorway speed! thats not a motorway and its approaching a roundabout,if its the road im thinking of:confused:,
    on again at 8:30 tonight dont forget!!!!!!

Correct. That is probably 80kph or 100kph zone. Definitely not a motorway.

Got around to watching on RTE Player. The lesson seems to be better off getting caught speeding from a garda car than a fixed camera as they will be more lenient. The SUV guy only getting 2 points if anything would make me more likely to speed. That said fact the guards driving at 162kpn to catch him means nothing unless you know what speed they were doing when he passed them.

Guy in Donegal should not be on the road. He already had his warning when caught speeding. Surely another chance is not warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

can someone upload it online / or has it already been uploaded? I'm living abroad at the moment, so won't be able to catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The cops did not get a true speed rating on the Hyundai. They went to catch up with them but by the time they caught up, he had left the motorway and headed toward Swords. They didn't tell him what speed he had done. Only what speed they had to do to catch up. They need positive evidence to do someone for speeding. It won't do to stand up in front of a judge and estimate he must have been doing 150km/h.

As for the little waster in Donegal, I'd prefer to see Traffic Officers on the road and targeting dangerous driving instead of spending the evening filling in paperwork and calling tow-trucks over VRT. The lad has entered the system now and his day will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As for the little waster in Donegal, I'd prefer to see Traffic Officers on the road and targeting dangerous driving instead of spending the evening filling in paperwork and calling tow-trucks over VRT. The lad has entered the system now and his day will come.

I think the more worrying fact is they let him drive off in a car that they said was not fit to be on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Found on youtube

Found it on youtube

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the more worrying fact is they let him drive off in a car that they said was not fit to be on the road

He may not be fit to drive on the road in your eyes or my eyes but the only thing the member could have taken the vehicle of him for was non payment of VRT. Customs have no interest in such vehicles and can tie members up for a day trying to get revenue to collect the vehicle.

Just because he received a speeding ticket doesnt mean we can take his car. Just because he has a provisional licence doesnt mean we can take his car. Because his water cap was gone doesnt mean we can take his car.

Lesiglation is provided for certain areas for taking custody of a vehicle like section 14 finance act or seizing it for no tax section 42 RTA. We must operate within this legislation. IMO I would have taken the vehicle if the duty wasnt paid but thats my opinion. Every member has his/her discression to act in certain offences.

So the gardai have no power to take unsafe vehicles off the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

^^ Thanks

I was reminded by a friend, so am watching it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,614 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gonna have to watch this on Player again...

• Advertisement

Great stuff, no insurance on a bike, and let go. :rolleyes: Off to a great start.

So the gardai have no power to take unsafe vehicles off the road?

As below. How can you say it was unsafe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Great stuff, no insurance on a bike, and let go. :rolleyes: Off to a great start.

Yeah I'm really not getting the thought process..

SV wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really not getting the thought process..

Neither am I. He blatently said "If he hit a child, we'd have to pay for it" so on so on, yet he left him go?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

As the guy has a foreign license and "on holidays", he has no hope of confirming his home address. Likely his name will be "drivers licence" in Czech. What is the guard supposed to do. Can arrest him, and he will be out again in 2 hours never to be seen again.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    As the guy has a foreign license and "on holidays", he has no hope of confirming his home address. Likely his name will be "drivers licence" in Czech. What is the guard supposed to do. Can arrest him, and he will be out again in 2 hours never to be seen again.

So?
    At least he wouldn't be on the road.

Sorry but that just seems like a cop out, it would be a "waste of time" etc and all that kind of attitude.

Well, he did say he was working and living here. I'm sure he won't go too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watching it here. Nothing particularly dangerous about that driving in my view. I often creep up behind slow coaches that won't pull in and let me out.
    It was a good wide road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

mfitzy wrote: »
    Just watching it here. Nothing particularly dangerous about that driving in my view. I often creep up behind slow coaches that won't pull in and let me out.

It was dark and the cars on the other side had to go for a dark hard shoulder. God knows what could be there. Very aggressive driving especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Good job from the guards, throwing the book at the drunk driver and getting him off the roads for 15 years!

It was dark and the cars on the other side had to go for a dark hard shoulder. God knows what could be there. Very aggressive driving especially at night.

Agreed, he aggressively tail gates all the cars, overtakes into the other lane when traffic is oncoming and forces them to swerve into the hard shoulder, ridiculous driving and its unfortunately extremely common on Irish roads, I'm glad to see he got done for it.

Also a quick note to all the bashers of modified cars did you take note of the Lancer evolution driving completely responsibly while the driver who drove dangerously was in an Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Also a quick note to all the bashers of modified cars did you take note of the Lancer evolution driving completely responsibly while the driver who drove dangerously was in an Audi

Very good point. The driver of the Lancer wasnt tempted to follow the Audi at all. I think that Audi was a 1.9tdi RS4 too. :rolleyes:

I think RTE should do more of this kind of thing. It was the first time i've seen it, and thought it will open the eyes of alot of people in this country who think the Gardai do very little other than annoy motorists.

I couldnt believe the two headcase women who were walking up the M50 after crossing 6 lanes of traffic! :eek: That was complete madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought it was a good episode.

I liked the fact they bollocked those girls on the M50.

I was appalled that the foreign driver was allowed to drive off unable to provide proof of Insurance yet the guy from the North with proof of Insurance was arrested.

Madness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Good job from the guards, throwing the book at the drunk driver and getting him off the roads for 15 years!

I'm pretty sure he's the type of person that wouldn't give a monkeys about receiving a ban and was probably back on the road within 15 days let alone 15 years.

Berty wrote: »
    I was appalled that the foreign driver was allowed to drive off unable to provide proof of Insurance yet the guy from the North with proof of Insurance was arrested.

Madness :rolleyes:

Folks there is no requirement for drivers to have their insurance certificates with them when driving and thats why we can demand they produce the cert within 10 days. So even an Irish motorists dont have proof they are insured.

The guy from the North wasnt arrested cos he had proof he was insured. He was arrested for Dangerous Driving

• Advertisement

keefg wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's the type of person that wouldn't give a monkeys about receiving a ban and was probably back on the road within 15 days let alone 15 years.

Exactly, sure he was already banned when they stopped him was he not? a few months in jail makes more sense (as a punishment, not economically)

Folks there is no requirement for drivers to have their insurance certificates with them when driving and thats why we can demand they produce the cert within 10 days. So even an Irish motorists dont have proof they are insured.

The guy from the North wasnt arrested cos he had proof he was insured. He was arrested for Dangerous Driving

I dont think they asked the Foreign guy to produce. Open to correction.

And If I am correct, the Northern driver was arrested because he failed to provide evidence of where he lived. They were the words the Garda said to him when he arrested him.

I dont think they asked the Foreign guy to produce. Open to correction.

And If I am correct, the Northern driver was arrested because he failed to provide evidence of where he lived. They were the words the Garda said to him when he arrested him.

From watching the show the foreign lad wasnt asked to produce but again the show is edited and he would without a doubt would have been demanded to.

Exactly the Northern Ireland was arrested cos he couldnt prove he was resident in the Republic. Same thing happens to all non residents.

[QUOTE=TheNog;60585883

Exactly the Northern Ireland was arrested cos he couldnt prove he was resident in the Republic. Same thing happens to all non residents.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is expected of non Irish license holders to carry with them?

Household utility bills or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have seen the ad for this only - in it a cop states they are travelling at 164kph in order to catch a bloke - what the hell has that to do with anything ?

proves to me its a sensationalist load of bollox imo - don't think I need to watch any more of this ****e thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

mfitzy wrote: »

That was blatent dangerous driving! Cars on the opposite side had to veer out of the way...he was bullying other road users aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I couldnt believe the two headcase women who were walking up the M50 after crossing 6 lanes of traffic! :eek: That was complete madness.

If it was me I would have drawn my baton to be honest;)...although they were'nt as bad as these two,

that is unbelievable behaviour, hope them two women got serious punishment (if they survived)

that is unbelievable behaviour, hope them two women got serious punishment (if they survived)

Yeah, they both survived.
    unbelievable really

• Advertisement

What exactly is expected of non Irish license holders to carry with them?

Household utility bills or similar?

any item that may prove their residence such as bills, car irish registered, they are on PULSE etc etc

any item that may prove their residence such as bills, car irish registered, they are on PULSE etc etc

What if you are driving a Republic registered Vehicle. Is the registered address of that vehicle(being yours of course) enough to satisfy your residency?

Put it this way. My company is based in Dundalk and we have a lot of guys who live in the North who come down in the morning and take away the service vehicles(LH registered). If they are stopped, what happens, are they arrested as well?

Im sure the Audi which was stopped was Republic registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes his age is irrelevant.

Thats incorrect. You are confusing the issue of seizing the car for non payment of VRT which I pretty much outlined step by step and the costs involved with driving a defective car.

Just because the VRT is not paid does not automatically make the driver a very real threat to other peoples lives

I never said it was common practice nor should be taken as such. I just pointed out the difficulties in recouping VRT. All I gave on this stop is my opinion on the facts that I saw on the programme. It is obvious to me that particular stop was edited to whatever 1-2 minutes for TV. In reality it would have taken at least double that so some vital information would have been missed.

While they cant take the car etc for any of the offences other than VRT , would it not have been a good use of the legislation to take the car for non payment of vrt considering the fact it was clearly in bits and because he was driving unaccompanied and without L plates? The VRT laws seem a good catch all for this exact type of situation where the car couldnt otherwise be taken off him.

So theres no power to stop a driver from continueing on his way if he has no evidence at all of being insured?

TBH, I dont know why most foreign drivers bother with insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

The only offence he has committed is VRT, driving unaccompanied and no L plates

Offence(S). Are there not 3 laws broken there?
    Depends on the mood the Guard is in that day, we dont expect consistency and professionalism in this country, thats why crime is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Regarding the women walking across the M50 I was surprised the gardai did not tell them to hop over the barrier as surely that is a lot safer than standing on the hard shoulder waiting for a tow truck?

Its hardly news but this show highlights how easy it is to avoid penalty pounts - get yourself a foreign licence. It also shows if you get caught once can get away with it as long as not stopped again e.g. uninsured motorcyclist.

The motorcyclist should have been arrested as he was driving uninsured whether he was resident or on holidays.

The bits whether the guards talk directly to the camera are rubbish & ad dnothing to the show. They just repeat what already seen in the pictures & voice over.

Showing drunk driving every week will get boring. The show is supposed to entertain so should show more of the car chases & women walking across M50 type incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

How do you know the evo wasn't still stock ? Not everyone who buys an evolution then goes ahead and modifies it, it was probably exactly as it came out of the showroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

The car wasnt in bits there was a bit of steam coming out of the rad becasue he lost the cap, big feckin' deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

McSpud wrote: »
    Its hardly news but this show highlights how easy it is to avoid penalty pounts - get yourself a foreign licence.

Hmm.....not sure that would work if you have a thick Donegal/Cork/Dublin (etc.) accent.

The bits whether the guards talk directly to the camera are rubbish & ad dnothing to the show. They just repeat what already seen in the pictures & voice over.

Yep, just a time filler.
    Showing drunk driving every week will get boring. The show is supposed to entertain so should show more of the car chases & women walking across M50 type incidents.

LOL :D......I wonder if that happens often enough to appear as a regular feature on the show?

The could have the weekly "M50 Frogger" slot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

keefg wrote: »

LOL :D......I wonder if that happens often enough to appear as a regular feature on the show?

The could have the weekly "M50 Frogger" slot :D

Happens often enough on the Motorways I travel on (M50 & M1). Livedrive on Dublin City FM coined the phrase "Organ Donors" for them.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Happens often enough on the Motorways I travel on (M50 & M1). Livedrive on Dublin City FM coined the phrase "Organ Donors" for them.

Love it:D:D:D

Jip wrote: »
    How do you know the evo wasn't still stock ? Not everyone who buys an evolution then goes ahead and modifies it, it was probably exactly as it came out of the showroom.

Even if it was stock the general public brand a lancer evolution as a modified car or boy racer, My Integra is completely stock but people have said oh you drive one of those modified cars, your a boy racer, total ignorance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement